U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

D.C. itself is just the tiniest of tiny little dots on the map. Everything else? Southern town with more strip malls than I have ever seen. Everything down there is in a strip mall. I mean, Tyson's Corner and Occocuan (spelling?) are really nifty places but sheesh.
Than you was not in D.C. You was in Northern Virginia. You'll be hard pressed to find strip malls inside the district. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find detached homes in DC. Washington DC has some of the greatest architecture of rowhomes in the United States. DC is one of the most walkable cities in the country and many vibrant areas scattered around the city. I've spent countless hours in bars and clubs past the hour of 2am inside DC on Friday and Saturday nights. DC does have southern characteristics, but it is not a Southern town (nor is it a Northern town). You keep mentioning your experiences in NOVA and take it as that is how DC is and that is truly not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,422,374 times
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC does have southern characteristics, but it is not a Southern town (nor is it a Northern town).
Nor is it a town. It's A city. A mid-Atlantic city with more northern Characteristics than southern imo

Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM

367 posts, read 899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
D.C. itself is just the tiniest of tiny little dots on the map. Everything else? Southern town with more strip malls than I have ever seen. Everything down there is in a strip mall. I mean, Tyson's Corner and Occocuan (spelling?) are really nifty places but sheesh.
Something bad must have happened to you in DC to come up with lies like this. The tiniest of tiny little dots? Funny...

Tysons Corner, as it's already mentioned here, has more commercial office space than most major city downtowns: Downtown Tysons Corner, a business center just outside of DC is larger than Downtown Atlanta: Local 'Fringe City' Becomes Bigger Than Atlanta

Another suburb right outside of DC, Arlington Virginia, has more private office space than downtown Boston, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Denver. As of July 1, 2008: Profile : CPHD : Arlington, Virginia

The two facts mentioned above is more about NoVa. Going back to DC. If you count all the private office space in downtown DC and combine all the federal buildings, it would boast the second largest downtown office space market in the country - behind only NYC.

This proves that your comment, "The tiniest of tiny little dots", is a total lie.

Last edited by popalnet; 08-17-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
ditto

Nor is it a town. It's A city. A mid-Atlantic city with more northern Characteristics than southern imo
best way to describe it IMO.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM

206 posts, read 428,500 times
this TROLL doesn't know what he's talking about.....DC ....stays open till 3/4am...dat's why the metro trains run till 3am on fridays & sat.
And DC is not a dump....why do u think it's one of the most expensive cities to live in Now....All the money/rich folks are coming in pushing out all the poor folks to PG county, MD and baltimore...lol...the next time u DC visit ChevyChase/Friendship Heights, Bethesda, Glover Park/Georgetown, Chinatown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Cicle, Logan Circle, Capitol Hill

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM

157 posts, read 151,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Likely because the residents of DC are not obsessed with their city and don't randomly bring it up in every thread.
Great point missionhome. I'm with you. Gets soooo old. Hopefully some of the Houston folks read your comment.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:16 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,013,649 times
They know!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM

19,214 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
this TROLL doesn't know what he's talking about.....DC ....stays open till 3/4am...dat's why the metro trains run till 3am on fridays & sat.
"Dat's"???

Did you just say "dat's"? Oh dear.

Last edited by Steve-o; 08-18-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM

379 posts, read 682,285 times
DC looked as good as ever. Recently, we hiked along the Billy Goat Trail/Great Falls tapped off by dinning at a great Thai Restaurant on Conn. Ave. The city seems to becoming more and more urban/civilized and livable- quicker than any where I've been to in the US.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM

905 posts, read 1,820,014 times
I'd just like to state, for the record, that not every Chicagoan hates DC. I like it. Coldwine's entitled to his/her opinion, though it does seem to be be based more on NoVA than the District itself.

Look, I think the greatest cities in America are NYC, Chicago and SF. I wouldn't quite put DC on that level, but it's a fine city in its own right and I do think it is somewhat misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.