U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,942,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I see Chicago envy has hit DC. Welcome. You can take a seat right over there behind the New York City section. No no, thats the Boston group, two rows back. There you go.
I beg your pardon.
As a Bostonian I can tell you that no one here envies anything about Chicago.
Nothing!!!
They don't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:46 PM

954 posts, read 2,206,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I beg your pardon.
As a Bostonian I can tell you that no one here envies anything about Chicago.
Nothing!!!
They don't compare.
HaHa, Tell that to the Red Sox, I bet they wish they were the White Sox. I mean who wears Red Socks.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
HaHa, Tell that to the Red Sox, I bet they wish they were the White Sox. I mean who wears Red Socks.
I hate the Red Sox. But are they not the defending world champions? Why would they want to be the White Sox?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:01 PM

954 posts, read 2,206,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hate the Red Sox. But are they not the defending world champions? Why would they want to be the White Sox?
Because nobody wears red socks, I mean where did they come up with that name.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,422,374 times
Quote:
I see Chicago envy has hit DC. Welcome. You can take a seat right over there behind the New York City section. No no, thats the Boston group, two rows back. There you go.
lol Chicagoans are so into themselves. Get a room!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM

147 posts, read 241,259 times
Quote:
Why would Boston be envoius of Chicago? More pressing though; Why would NYC be envious of Chicago?!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM

5,631 posts, read 9,998,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
Why would Boston be envoius of Chicago?
Same reason they obsess over NYC...

Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 PM

19,213 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
Why would Boston be envoius of Chicago? More pressing though; Why would NYC be envious of Chicago?!
1/2 the price for a place twice as big, perhaps?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,603,421 times
Okay, while you idiots are quibbling over BS, I'd like to comment on the whole DC/Chicago train thing. DC's Metro is a wonderful train system, I've visited DC and rode it extensively during my visit, I can easily see why it receives more ridership than the train in Chicago (I especially can see that after my horrifically incompetent commute home tonight that left me stranded in a dank, poorly lit subway station with a bunch of angry commuters for 1/2 an hour wondering what happened to the train (it broke). That being said, I do think, despite its problems, Chicago's system is pretty good ... and yes, I've also ridden the subway in nyc and the 'T' in Boston (where I have family) quite a bit (all of which is easily trumped by my experiences in Europe).

I am utterly amazed at how juvenile a simple discussion of train ridership can quickly became. Seriously, what is wrong with you people.

..oh, and give the red and white sox a break, I like 'em both (now the Yankees, that is a different situation).

Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM

147 posts, read 241,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
1/2 the price for a place twice as big, perhaps?
....well there is a reason that it is much more expensive.

Besides, there a many cities that are bigger and cheaper than Boston. I don't think the vast majority of Bostonians envy any of them either. In fact, the ones that I have met, seemed pretty sure about the status of their city. But I find it isn't always unwarranted. Amazing character, deep rich history, healthy job market, a world wide leader in education, an ultra intelligent workforce, beautiful setting, beautiful suburbs, etc.; Boston has a ton going for it! Not to mention, quick access to NYC which is (IMO) the greatest city in the world. Boston is sort of like Seattle, NYC, San Francisco, Portland, San Diego, and Austin, in the sense that they are sort of "name brands" if you will, for big cities. They are places that people take great pride in saying they are from, and have unique personalities all their own. I'm not trying to say that Chicago is a inferior to Boston in any way. It has just been in my experience that most people that I HAVE MET from those cities that I listed, seem very proud of their address, and tend to speak very higly of it. I don't hear or see that a lot from Chciago transplants (and I know A LOT of them), or from people that currently live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.