Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 PM

186 posts, read 475,197 times

Advertisements

they do that i guess to determine how many hispanics are in the country???

Just the same they put white (not-hispanic), hispanic, black (non-hispanic)...but on the census, dont they allow you to put hispanic and then you have to pick white, black or asian for your actual race???

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
that's why I always mark....

Other

Old 10-13-2008, 09:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The US government would not only consider Penelope Cruz to be white, but they wouldn't consider her to be Hispanic either as she's from a European country, not Latin America. OTOH, the US government would consider Argentine soccer legend Diego Maradona, who is of Croatian ancestry, to be Hispanic because he is from a Latin American country.
Diego is part Croatian (from a grandmother), but most of his ancestors are "cabecitas negras," or mestizo. Even if he were mostly Croatian (like President Nestor Kirchner), yes, he would still be considered Hispanic/Latino in the US.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
hah i grew up in Newark, NJ and there wasnt too many white folks and i did not want to be considered white because they were judgemental to Newark and were stuck up about it, but i live in it...Im Italian, but im considered white..

But now, i think of Italian as a race in itself.. because i consider italian being the least white out of white hah if that makes sense.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,617 times

white = caucasians
hispanic = Born in Latin American and speak Spanish (regarding of the race). Also, they are called Latinos.

Last edited by Bo; 06-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: merged two consecutive posts

Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoi View Post
I mean white = white.

whetter your ancestor came from Greece lik Peter Sampras or your ancestors from Spain like Martin Sheen aka Ramón Gerardo Antonio Estévez.

This is an easy question to answer: power

Society teaches the white "non-hispanic" that he is different from those people, just like the white "non-hispanic" is different from the people with the darker skin. The white "non-hispanic" grows up thinking he is different from the white "hispanic", and therefore he may think that he is somewhat better than the white "hispanic."

Thus when some type of problem arises the white "non-hispanic" feuds with the white "hispanic", and he may also feud with the "African/blacks", the "East Asian", the "East Indian", the "Arab", the "European." That way the common people are divided and distracted, and the people that are in power (who cause all the real problems in the first place) can stay in power.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:44 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
I use white when talking about American mutts who can't trace their lineage back.

If they're Irish, Romanian, French, Polish , etc., etc. then I call them that, not white.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I use white when talking about American mutts who can't trace their lineage back.

If they're Irish, Romanian, French, Polish , etc., etc. then I call them that, not white.
I know a lot of people who think that way too. It's kind of annoying. I used to hear people say "I'm not white, i'm German"

Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda53 View Post
white = caucasians
hispanic = Born in Latin American and speak Spanish (regarding of the race). Also, they are called Latinos.
Hispanics don't have to be born in Latin America, nor do they have to speak Spanish.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
This is an easy question to answer: power

Society teaches the white "non-hispanic" that he is different from those people, just like the white "non-hispanic" is different from the people with the darker skin. The white "non-hispanic" grows up thinking he is different from the white "hispanic", and therefore he may think that he is somewhat better than the white "hispanic."

Thus when some type of problem arises the white "non-hispanic" feuds with the white "hispanic", and he may also feud with the "African/blacks", the "East Asian", the "East Indian", the "Arab", the "European." That way the common people are divided and distracted, and the people that are in power (who cause all the real problems in the first place) can stay in power.

The whole idea of categories can be traced back to social structure, order, and hierarchy.

I don't see why any distinction is needed. It just leads to confusion and more social problems in society.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-21-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.