Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 AM

136 posts, read 292,316 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty certain that all of us American posters have read or heard about many non-US citizens generalizing the majority of us as being geographically ignorant of the foreign world. As a result of this I'd like to ask you all this: How bad is ignorance in the general area where you all reside? Are the people with whom you generally socialize or reside near aware of the world outside of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
-It's bad I tell you- I live in Chicago, and most Chicagoans think it's the state capital

Old 08-17-2008, 08:43 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Not very.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Here in Kansas City they seem to think we New Englanders are New Yorkers. About the only part of New England that even resembles New York City is Fairfield County in Connecticut.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
I know some people that get cities and states mixed up.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
anywhere east of the 5 freeway ,in america is country, then theres the atlantic ocean

Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Most people anywhere in world struggle w/basic reading/counting/thinking, no matter how allegedly well educated...

Am more astonished by how little knowledge of "economic geography" (source of local economy, where in region are high-income jobs/valuable cos. based, etc) exists....really amused when those who claim to have "traveled" all over world have a clueless tourist perspective on various regions....

Perhaps many would be better served by learning relevant economic geography, rather than capitals/tourist attractions in Podunk or various economically irrelevant major population centers....

Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I personally believe that most U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps. And I believe that our education such as the South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so that we will be able to build up our future for our children.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Well, in central Texas, I have heard on numerous occasions from adults that work with students in the classroom that Alaska was off the coast of California. I was incredulous and responded, "Where in the world did you get that idea?" The answer was, "It shows it to be that way on the maps I've seen." By golly, it does.

http://biglizards.net/Graphics/Foreg...cuitCourts.jpg

I wonder where they think the Pacific Ocean and Mexico are? That's a scary thought too.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
-It's bad I tell you- I live in Chicago, and most Chicagoans think it's the state capital
Oh come on, we all know where the money is earned and the important decisions made, and it's not in Springfield

I'm going to be completely honest, I know NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran and Los Angeles. I've had the personal misfortune of having had to have spent a lot of time in Texas, so I suppose one could say I also know that... place. Other than that, I have at best only a very vague conception of the United States. Everything outside of NYC, Chicago or LA is a fuzzy haze to me.

Although I'd certainly never stereotype the places themselves, I really have seen most of the United States only from a plane.

Worldwide I've developed a very keen sense of geography, and in both NYC, Chicago and LA my neighbors are downright keen on their geography. There's so much multicultural diversity where I live that I'm expecting the ACLU to sue more white people into moving into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.