U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Most spread-out major city in the US
Atlanta, Georgia 44 25.73%
Houston, Texas 59 34.50%
Charlotte, North Carolina 9 5.26%
Jacksonville, Florida 36 21.05%
Nashville, Tennessee 6 3.51%
San Antonio, Texas 6 3.51%
Dallas, Texas 28 16.37%
Indianapolis, Indiana 3 1.75%
Louisville, Kentucky 2 1.17%
Columbus, Ohio 1 0.58%
Phoenix, Arizona 42 24.56%
Other 20 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,247 posts, read 8,395,109 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Although this list of U.S. Urban areas is from 2000, it should give you an idea of what the land area and density was at that time (an eye opener for some of you):

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah ha!

New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT... land area 8683.2 sq km
Chicago, IL-IN... land area 5498.1
Atlanta, GA... land area 5083.1
Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD... land area 4660.7
Boston, MA-NH-RI... land area 4496.7
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA... land area 4319.9
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX... land area 3644.2
Houston, TX... land area 3354.7


No surprise with past history and misinformation here, that Houston wins the C-D poll for most "spread out" though.

 
Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,414,882 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Ah ha!

New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT... land area 8683.2 sq km
Chicago, IL-IN... land area 5498.1
Atlanta, GA... land area 5083.1
Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD... land area 4660.7
Boston, MA-NH-RI... land area 4496.7
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA... land area 4319.9
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX... land area 3644.2
Houston, TX... land area 3354.7

No surprise with past history and misinformation here, that Houston wins the C-D poll for most "spread out" though.
Agreed. People see that 601 sqm and assume it's very spread out.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
 
737 posts, read 640,907 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Although this list of U.S. Urban areas is from 2000, it should give you an idea of what the land area and density was at that time (an eye opener for some of you):

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is something really wrong with this list. It shows that San Antonio is more dense than Boston...

Boston: 2322 psm
San Antonio: 3340 psm
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,178 posts, read 3,624,955 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
There is something really wrong with this list. It shows that San Antonio is more dense than Boston...

Boston: 2322 psm
San Antonio: 3340 psm
It's for the entire Urban area (not MSA/CSA), and not just the city of Boston.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
 
737 posts, read 640,907 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It's for the entire Urban area (not MSA/CSA), and not just the city of Boston.
Still as someone who grew up in San Antonio I have a hard time believing that the urban area of Boston is somehow less dense than San Antonio.
 
Old 12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,178 posts, read 3,624,955 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Still as someone who grew up in San Antonio I have a hard time believing that the urban area of Boston is somehow less dense than San Antonio.
The entire Boston urban area is not as dense as some people would like to believe it is.
 
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
10,899 posts, read 8,622,742 times
Reputation: 13861
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Vegas has some of the most horrifying sprawl development I have ever seen.
Las Vegas is densely populated in comparison to Phoenix.

Thank God above that Las Vegas is surrounded by BLM land which conducts an auction every Fall to sell off small parcels of the valley. If you travel through the valley you'll see the postage stamp yards, houses all crammed together. If the government didn't control 80% of the land in Nevada, Las Vegas would have sprawled all the way to Laughlin, Primm and Mesquite by now.

If this had been the case in Phoenix or Houston or Atlanta (surrounded by government land), it would have put the brakes on all their madcap sprawl.

But without those limits in place, the sky is the limit!
 
Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
10,899 posts, read 8,622,742 times
Reputation: 13861
Default Minneapolis-St.Paul???

Anyone ever traveled from the southernmost end to the northernmost point or the westernmost point to the eastenmost point of this insanely spread out metro area?

Start from east of Hudson, Wisconsin to the westernmost edge of Lake Minnetonka (60-70 miles) and from Lakeville in the south to past Forest Lake to the north (60+ miles) and to the southwest to Jordan and beyond.

Insanely spread out! Why wasn't the NIMBY-apolis area (oops! I meant Minneapolis) included in this list of cities? It would have definitely garnered some votes!
 
Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 AM
 
737 posts, read 640,907 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
The entire Boston urban area is not as dense as some people would like to believe it is.
Boston still has several areas which San Antonio can't even come close to touching.
 
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,247 posts, read 8,395,109 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Although this list of U.S. Urban areas is from 2000, it should give you an idea of what the land area and density was at that time (an eye opener for some of you):

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Ah ha!

1. New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT... land area 8683.2 sq km
2. Chicago, IL-IN... land area 5498.1
3. Atlanta, GA... land area 5083.1
4. Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD... land area 4660.7
5. Boston, MA-NH-RI... land area 4496.7
6. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA... land area 4319.9
7. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX... land area 3644.2
8. Houston, TX... land area 3354.7


No surprise with past history and misinformation here, that Houston wins the C-D poll for most "spread out" though.
... And people are still voting for it, as the number has gone up since I last posted.
Brilliant guys, brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top