Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times

Advertisements

Lubbock,TX and Amarillo,TX are very affordable cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,101,772 times
Doesnt expensive count only if the person cant afford because if you have money then alot of places can be least expensive to that person unless you are talking about the average person.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM

107 posts, read 357,896 times
Buffalo would be nice except the economy is so crappy there.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM

6,294 posts, read 10,996,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
Doesnt expensive count only if the person cant afford because if you have money then alot of places can be least expensive to that person unless you are talking about the average person.
I've made this statement more than once or at least something to the effect that housing affordability is subjective.

Example: The median price of a home in my Connecticut hometown is approaching $400,000. That means an affordable or entry level home's cost is going to be about $200,000 with almost no housing stock available in the sub 200k category. 200k is hardly an affordable price for most Americans.

To some people 100k might be affordable while to others it might be around 50k. And if someone is going to pay cash for a home and not obtain a mortgage then something around 30k might be considered affordable.

If people could at least specify a dollar range for rentals or a maximum price on housing affordability it would make it far easier to steer them to a qualifying city or town.

Unrelated note: Glad to see the "O" word has been banned from most discussions. That pest had to be reigned in.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 08-21-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,546,331 times
70K for a house 1000 sqft? holy crap, something like that definately doesn't exist up here....even in the ghetto when your dodging bullets you can't find a house for less than 200k

Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
70K for a house 1000 sqft? holy crap, something like that definately doesn't exist up here....even in the ghetto when your dodging bullets you can't find a house for less than 200k
I took a pay cut to move here to Knoxville, but it was well worth it because of the almost ridiculously low cost of living here. Don't get me wrong, Knoxville has more than its share of stupid, high-priced McMansion developments, but for average joe schmoes like me living on an honest teacher's salary, this is a great place. Tennessee has a rather high sales tax (over 9%) but we have no state income tax, and property taxes are CHEAP. With a sales tax I am in total control of how much taxes I pay, and I like it that way. Even car registration is a flat $24/year no matter what kind of car I drive.

I have a friend who left here for Baltimore. She's getting paid about 50% more than I'm getting paid, but the cost of housing and utilities and property taxes in Baltimore is double what it is here. Easily. Granted, she lives in a more exciting city, but it comes at a steep price. Here she lived in a 2,500 sq ft home on a lake in the middle of a forest within the Knoxville city limits, in Balto she lives in a 1100 sq ft row house that still costs more. (Fortunately, her ex husband's alimony is helping her afford to live in Balto.)

Last year I seriously considered taking a teaching position in Salt Lake City. Teachers in Utah don't make a whole lot more than teachers in Tennessee, but the cost of living in Utah is outrageously higher. So I'm still in Knoxville and loving it. And I love the fact that as a teacher here I can afford a home in the city AND a cabin in the mountains for less than my friend in Balto is paying for her small row house.

While I understand that the word "affordability" is highly subjective, there are nonetheless places in the country where people like me (teachers, cops, etc.) can afford to live better than in other areas without having to get a roommate.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
Louisville would have to be up there. Kentucky has the LOWEST electric and water costs in the nation. A nice 1 bedroom apartment here would run from $425 and up. The East End has some really nice urban areas with tons of shops and restaurants, and lots of generic suburbs as well

BTW, does the City need to be 500k +, or the entire Metro 500k +?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
There are shotgun houses in Louisville and Lexington that are in good to decent areas for the price range (and less) and size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.