Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the worst Humidity?
Miami 32 42.67%
Houston 35 46.67%
Los Angeles 2 2.67%
San Diego 1 1.33%
Washington D.C. 12 16.00%
Dallas 4 5.33%
Atlanta 7 9.33%
New Orleans 26 34.67%
Orlando 16 21.33%
San Antonio 8 10.67%
Phoenix 0 0%
Santa Fe 0 0%
All sunbelt cities 3 4.00%
other 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Tropical humid heat is no big deal. About a billion people in the world live all their lives in it, with no AC, and it is just there. It doesn't take very long to get used to it, if you come from away. You just adjust your lifestyle to accommodate it. Or, you can go there and refuse to adjust to it and just complain. Your call.

Where I am sitting at my computer right now (1:30 pm), it is 93 outdoors, the RH is 54%, the dew point is 73, the heat index is 101, my windows are open, there's a ceiling fan set on low, and I haven't turned the AC on yet. I probably will later (set on 85), because my apartment wasn't architecturally designed to accommodate the local climate, it was built around an AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And DC humidity is worse than NYC to me. We got a break this summer though outside that one week in July. 2012 was....
This summer has been garbage. It's tough to go swimming when the high temp is 81 degrees. And it's been too cool at night, imo. There's nothing better than a warm summer night where you can leisurely stroll down the street with a date while eating ice cream. I don't want to do that when it's 63 degrees outside.

On a 84 degree evening, there's...

Ice cream on the stoop
Neighbors sitting on the stoop
Popsicles
Coronas w/ lime wedges
Girls in short shorts and summer dresses
Walking around with swim trunks, flip flops and shirt off
Sexual energy

On a 63 degree evening, there's

Girls covered up
Does anything else matter?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-23-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
I found this quite comical.

Quote:
[SIZE=3]Actually, the research demonstrates that [/SIZE]it is hot and humid weather not soul-crushing, Frigidaire-sponsored San Francisco type weather that is correlated with people being shot in the face and other such brutally violent acts. No, the real vice of the San Francisco summer is what doesn’t happen:

-Girls wearing dresses, skirts, halter-tops, short shorts

-Outdoor/patio/rooftop social venues

-Pretty skin
-Pool parties

-Breast augmentation

-Skinny dipping at Midnight

-Skinny dipping at Noon

-Skinny dipping at other times

Why There Are No Girls In San Francisco: #16 The San Francisco “Summer”

Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wonder if anyone who says Houston is humid has ever been to places like Hong Kong, Manila, or Brazil?

People are often quick to criticize Houston for its high humidity, but don't stop to realize all the other great cities of the World with the same issue where it becomes a non factor with locals & tourist s alike.
This is the kind of conclusion drawn by someone who bases all of his thinking about places on the Internet and fails to factor in variables that would otherwise become apparent through life experiences or even objective reasoning.

Oversimplifying the idea that "all major cities are humid, therefor Houston's climate must be just as good as anywhere else" is ridiculous. Ignoring your own experiences or trying to thinly shift perceptions of those you assume are as naive as you are is equally absurd.

For example, you talk a lot about how often you are in Houston, and represent yourself as a student of all things Houston. However, for three years, on multiple threads, you have claimed that Houston is a city where strip clubs and "XXX businesses" exist next door to schools and churches. You even brag about this seemingly negative aspect--refuting my claim that it is false as "BS".

So, if you are in Houston so often and these places exist, surely you have seen them, right? If you were mistaken and were basing this notion on an assumption or incorrect information, your many visits to Houston should have informed you that your idea was wrong. A reasonable person would have stopped claiming erroneous things at that point, but you kept saying it. So, one can only assume that you are either lying about the time you spend in Houston, or you are intentionally spreading false info about it as part of some strange personal agenda. As many have told you, this behavior has the opposite effect of what you intend.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
This is the kind of conclusion drawn by someone who bases all of his thinking about places on the Internet and fails to factor in variables that would otherwise become apparent through life experiences or even objective reasoning.

Oversimplifying the idea that "all major cities are humid, therefor Houston's climate must be just as good as anywhere else" is ridiculous. Ignoring your own experiences or trying to thinly shift perceptions of those you assume are as naive as you are is equally absurd.

For example, you talk a lot about how often you are in Houston, and represent yourself as a student of all things Houston. However, for three years, on multiple threads, you have claimed that Houston is a city where strip clubs and "XXX businesses" exist next door to schools and churches. You even brag about this seemingly negative aspect--refuting my claim that it is false as "BS".

So, if you are in Houston so often and these places exist, surely you have seen them, right? If you were mistaken and were basing this notion on an assumption or incorrect information, your many visits to Houston should have informed you that your idea was wrong. A reasonable person would have stopped claiming erroneous things at that point, but you kept saying it. So, one can only assume that you are either lying about the time you spend in Houston, or you are intentionally spreading false info about it as part of some strange personal agenda. As many have told you, this behavior has the opposite effect of what you intend.
My girlfriend lives in Galveston a block away from the beach & her parents in the Bay Area of Houston. I have no reason to lie about going there. I've lived on both the NW & SW sides of the city.

Houston is less than a 3 hour drive or 45 minute flight via Continental's daily Houston/Tyler connecting flights. Lots of those people in the oil, gas, energy & those in the medical community in Tyler are back & forth a lot for business meetings & training. You act like Tyler is some foreign land from Houston when in reality they are very closely connected. They're both in East Texas. Our EMS goes down to the Houston/Galveston area every day transporting patients to & from Tyler.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-23-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
South Florida is very humid and the further inland you go the more humid. If you live close to the everglades then you want get a sea breeze whatsoever. Cloud cover will give you 0% releif it actally feels worse. The bugs also add to the irritation. West florida from Tampa down to Fort Myers has some of the worst summer weather in the country.
Yeah my family lived in Miramar/Pembroke Pines/Carol City and it was HOT in the summer. Much hotter than say, Hallendale beach.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This summer has been garbage. It's tough to go swimming when the high temp is 81 degrees. And it's been too cool at night, imo. There's nothing better than a warm summer night where you can leisurely stroll down the street with a date while eating ice cream. I don't want to do that when it's 63 degrees outside.

On a 84 degree evening, there's...

Ice cream on the stoop
Neighbors sitting on the stoop
Popsicles
Coronas w/ lime wedges
Girls in short shorts and summer dresses
Walking around with swim trunks, flip flops and shirt off
Sexual energy

On a 63 degree evening, there's

Girls covered up
Does anything else matter?
Way different summer compared to 2012. The weather forecasters got this summer right. I knew it was going to be a weird summer when we got that weather back in late May. I had to bring out my coat that day which was a week from June.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about a thread called "Which city has the BEST humidity?" I actually prefer humid conditions.
Move to South Florida you will be in heaven lol.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
My girlfriend lives in Galveston a block away from the beach & her parents in the Bay Area of Houston. I have no reason to lie about going there. I've lived on both the NW & SW sides of the city.

Houston is less than a 3 hour drive or 45 minute flight via Continental's daily Houston/Tyler connecting flights. Lots of those people in the oil, gas, energy & those in the medical community in Tyler are back & forth a lot for business meetings & training. You act like Tyler is some foreign land from Houston when in reality they are very closely connected. They're both in East Texas. Our EMS goes down to the Houston/Galveston area every day transporting patients to & from Tyler.
See what I mean about it having the opposite of your intended effect? By intentionally misrepresenting Houston, you have made it seem like you don't really know much about it.

The tactic of piling on with irrelevant info about EMS traffic doesn't help, either.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And DC humidity is worse than NYC to me. We got a break this summer though outside that one week in July. 2012 was....
I'm sure that DC's humidity is awful although I've never been there on a hot summer day. I know that NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC can all get rather sticky. It all comes from the same Bermuda high sitting off the coast in the summer that causes it. Luckily, this summer hasn't been bad at all. Last summer was the worst I've experienced, and I love the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.