Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 6,250 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to change things up. I've done some research, but haven't found any places that jump out as fitting the bill. Maybe I'm overlooking some possibilities (or maybe being too picky), so I thought I'd ask for some ideas.

I'm a single male in my mid/late 20s, currently in a northeast rural area. I love all of the outdoor activities/sports where I am, but I'm tired of traveling 30min+ to socialize.

I'm looking for:
-A place on the east coast.
-A place that's decently populated so that I can socialize with people my age and meet women my age for dating. I know it takes effort to establish friends in a new place, but it would be nice to go to an area where the people were open to new friends and not stuck in their existing social circles.
-A place with a mild four seasons climate. I'd rather not have extreme hot/humid summers or extreme cold winters since I like to enjoy the outdoors.
-A place where I can be involved with cycling (road and mountain biking). I'd like to be able to walk outside and hop on the road bike without fear for my life on local roads. (Some roads with nice scenery and some hills mixed in would be a plus.) I'd also like proximity to some good xc mountain bike trails.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 08:10 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps Charlottesville, Blacksburg or Harrisonburg in VA.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook083 View Post
I'm considering a move to change things up. I've done some research, but haven't found any places that jump out as fitting the bill. Maybe I'm overlooking some possibilities (or maybe being too picky), so I thought I'd ask for some ideas.

I'm a single male in my mid/late 20s, currently in a northeast rural area. I love all of the outdoor activities/sports where I am, but I'm tired of traveling 30min+ to socialize.

I'm looking for:
-A place on the east coast.
-A place that's decently populated so that I can socialize with people my age and meet women my age for dating. I know it takes effort to establish friends in a new place, but it would be nice to go to an area where the people were open to new friends and not stuck in their existing social circles.
-A place with a mild four seasons climate. I'd rather not have extreme hot/humid summers or extreme cold winters since I like to enjoy the outdoors.
-A place where I can be involved with cycling (road and mountain biking). I'd like to be able to walk outside and hop on the road bike without fear for my life on local roads. (Some roads with nice scenery and some hills mixed in would be a plus.) I'd also like proximity to some good xc mountain bike trails.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Check out Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC (near Raleigh and Durham). Both towns are listed among the most bike-friendly in the US and have a friendly/open younger population with plenty of social opportunities. The area has a mild four-season climate and is a beautiful area to live in.

Bike Carrboro - Bicycles and Bicycling in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and the Triangle, NC
TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 AM

Great. Thanks for these suggestions. I will be looking into the Charlottesville or Richmond VA areas and the greater Triangle area in NC.

Anywhere else I should take a look at?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM

338 posts, read 556,618 times
Definitely the bigger NC cities.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
State college or gettysburg

Old 01-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far. Research has begun.

For some variety, any ideas further north than NC or VA and still on the east coast?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

For some variety, any ideas further north than NC or VA and still on the east coast?
If you go much further north you're going to run into areas that lose the label of a "mild four season climate" and with it some fairly lengthy (and more severe) winters. The northernmost area that fits your criteria I would recommend is Frederick, Maryland which is a thriving well-restored historical town not too far outside of Washington DC. There is commuter rail service to DC as well as closer outlying employment hubs like Bethesda and Rockville (MD suburbs north of DC) or a not too bad drive into the I-270 Tech Corridor area (Germantown-Gaithersburg) which is around 20 miles and 30 minutes.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

Maybe an area like Harrisburg PA, but I don't know if you can go too much further north like kyle19125 stated.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM

I already live in the northeast and winters here don't bother me. I know I can't have it all, so I can live with going further north.

All of the east coast is fair game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.