U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,363,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
There is really no need to bad-mouth Atlanta while glorifying Philly. It sounds like bitter grapes, and I would venture to bet you're basing your opinion on things you've heard. Philadelphia is a great city with all it's history and cheesesteaks. So is Atlanta...there are great day trips to the Appalachians are less than an hour drive away...Asheville, Savannah, Charleston, and Orlando are an easy drive as is the Florida panhandle and the Gulf Coast. Even gambling is not that far away in Biloxi or Tunica...

Atlanta is much more than chain restaurants and strip malls. There is plenty of local culture and flavor...one place that comes to mind is a little rustic building across from Piedmont Park, Woody's, that has been serving fabulous cheesesteaks and subs for decades...

I don't need to bash the other cities to try and make Atlanta look better. All anyone has to do is look at the huge increase in population and I doubt they're moving to be near a Chilli's.
I'm not bashing Atlanta. The original poster asked for a comparison between these cities and in giving any comparison between any two cities, you're inevitably going to say however indirectly "City A is better than City B because...." which will indirectly bash City B. I realize Atlanta has it's selling points and I have recommended the city to posters in the past, but there is no city that suits everyone, and in the poster's interests (food, history, travel, etc.), I simply feel that Philadelphia is a better match. Atlanta has it's benefits, many of which have been stated in this thread, but I just feel in these areas it comes up short to Philadelphia.

And for the record, I'm a former Atlanta resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM

699 posts, read 2,342,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Well for history and food, Philadelphia has got Atlanta beat hands down. Philadelphia is one of our nation's oldest cities whereas Atlanta is a relatively new city that tends to favor the "knock down the old historical church and put up a Starbucks" approach which is prevalent all over the U.S. nowadays, although less so in Philadelphia. Food-wise, Philadelphia has a lot of regional cuisine and also a good amount of authentic ethnic fare (think New York-lite with the Italian restaurants, Greek diners, delis, etc.) whereas Atlanta sort of favors a more homogenized palate of chain restaurants with little remaining local identity. The once prevailing Southern culture, with the accent and the cuisine and such, has been steamrolled over in recent years by millions of transplants as the metro area sprawls outward in a series of subdivisions and strip malls at a mile a minute.

I also think that if you enjoy day trips, Philadelphia has more "day trip" potentials than Atlanta with Atlantic City, the Poconos, D.C., New York, and the Jersey Shore all within a few hours.

Now between Boston and Philadelphia, there's some good competition and comparison as far as history and food options go.
I beg to differ...your post is right here in black and white. Reading things like the culture has been steamrolled and metro sprawls outward and strip malls, certainly doesn't sound complimentary. Misinformation about day trips definitely wasn't factual. "Philadelphia has got Atlanta beat hands down" in several areas...blight and poverty being a couple of notable ones. There's a good bit of history in Atlanta, different era than Philly's but history is history. Anyway, don't talk junk then deny it...

Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,363,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I beg to differ...your post is right here in black and white. Reading things like the culture has been steamrolled and metro sprawls outward and strip malls, certainly doesn't sound complimentary. Misinformation about day trips definitely wasn't factual. "Philadelphia has got Atlanta beat hands down" in several areas...blight and poverty being a couple of notable ones. There's a good bit of history in Atlanta, different era than Philly's but history is history. Anyway, don't talk junk then deny it...
Um, okaaaay....

I'm not denying anything I said. I stand by my post. As I said, relative to Philadelphia, Atlanta IS steamrolling over culture and favoring a sprawly strip mall mode of development. Yep. This isn't unique to Atlanta by any means. It's the path that most of America has gone down but of which there is generally less of in older Northeastern cities, of which Philly is one. I don't consider that "talking junk". I consider that to be giving an accurate comparison between two areas. Some people prefer that mode of development. Some don't. It's not for me to decide, but rather the original poster. Like I said, Atlanta has it's selling points and areas where I feel it's superior to Philadelphia. If the poster would have said "I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a house and want to be around a lot of young people" or something similar, I'd have recommended Atlanta "hands down", but the issues at hand are areas where I feel relative to Philadelphia, Atlanta comes up short. Some people feel differently. Great. They can post their opinions and the original poster can take them for what they're forth and come to his or her own conclusions. But there's no need to take things so personally and try to belittle someone else's post. Relax.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 22,534 times
Some good inforamtion and you have all highlited some issue to consider.
I have actually been to Atlanta many times and we really liked it. We looked at property on Lake Lanier that was very interesting. We loved visiting Charleston and Savannh. Traffic is certainly problem, but as a rule my work going to require travel throughout the east coast so it's really the airport.
We have been to Marble Head outside of Boston and spent a Halloween in Salem by chance. That was interesting.
Sounds like a exploratory trip to the east is in order.
Cosmic had a great point about Vancouver. It is a tremndous city. We have previuosly lived in Iowa,Dal,Co, Fla, LA and now Van for the past 10 years and will certainly end up Vancouver at some point.
If you ever get the chance don't miss it.
Thanks for your post.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,627,356 times
Default The Boston Airport

Well it is right down town so to speak. Just across the water via a tunnel.

Can be good and can be horrible, lot depends on how you get there and what is happening.

Boston has that problem of being sort of on the end of all the routes and air traffic control areas, so anything happening in the overall travel situation can have horrible impacts. Some of coarse is not their fault but you can catch it anyway. Very little room to expand the airport so as traffic grows, the general situation tends to get worse. Think I must have flown in / out of that airport a million times. The worse normally happens once you get on the ground. They were building a new terminal when I left, your typical Yankee mentality "Improvement". Getting there is like a rat in a maze. They do love to build Modern Goat Trails.

Don't know if it would be my favorite airport, during rush hour can be impossible to get there if you try to drive. Parking is a joy, if you ever can find any, usually have to get a loan to pay the fees. The MBTA (mass transist) does go directly to the airport. No airport has survived the changes all that well. I don't know if a terrorist would try getting out of Boston again.

In general Boston is such a conjested city that in its modern sense is not much fun. In the old days it was a very low rise city, the business district was something Paul Revere could relate too. Today it is a steel and glass towers with no sunshine. The make over into a mini-Dallas was a huge mistake in my book. Plus factor in the grime-n-crime and it just doesn't wear it well.

The idea of culture, history and all that got pretty well steamrolled in the last building boom. The tourist stuff is little islands fenced off and surrounded by modern crap that just dwarfs it in scale. Not all progess has been good.

As I said, maybe something to be experienced at an arms length but I sure would have the option to leave when it started to get old. Boston winters can be mind numbing in their dullness. I sure would not burn my bridges and be able to get back to Vancouver once the sheen has worn off.

I might go for Altanta if the airport is a must have. Got to operate better year round that most more northern airports. Haven't had that much direct experience with it.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:53 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,657,642 times
For me, Atlanta would be too hot (although it's a nice city otherwise), and Boston would be too cold. Boston is a bit prettier, and probably has a little less crime, but I would still choose Philly.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,627,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Boston is a bit prettier, and probably has a little less crime, but I would still choose Philly.
What type of glasses do you wear????

I never have heard of grime described as pretty. There is lots of gritty looking neighborhoods in Boston. Also Boston has lots of crime, some of it of the weird nature, lots of it committed by kids too young to do anything with, the cops just get to take them home to Momma.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM

699 posts, read 2,342,052 times
"We are the Mooninites. We do whatever we want to whomever we want...at all times."

Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,843,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
Some good inforamtion and you have all highlited some issue to consider.
I have actually been to Atlanta many times and we really liked it. We looked at property on Lake Lanier that was very interesting. We loved visiting Charleston and Savannh. Traffic is certainly problem, but as a rule my work going to require travel throughout the east coast so it's really the airport.
We have been to Marble Head outside of Boston and spent a Halloween in Salem by chance. That was interesting.
Sounds like a exploratory trip to the east is in order.
Cosmic had a great point about Vancouver. It is a tremndous city. We have previuosly lived in Iowa,Dal,Co, Fla, LA and now Van for the past 10 years and will certainly end up Vancouver at some point.
If you ever get the chance don't miss it.
Thanks for your post.
I would love to visit Vancouver--isn't it preparing to host 'The Games'--maybe 4 or 8 yrs from now.

You have a good, albeit tough, choice to make.

Having met a few people online from Vancouver and likeminded thinkers--I guess you would find Philly or Boston more familiar.

There are 'spots' of that style of life/individuals in Atlanta and possibly you could assemble a good network through work --sometimes difficult to meet people in Atlanta --it covers quite a large area.

Roswell is nice. Lots of history--evolved people. Close to the river and North GA---about the Best the state can offer. The mountains provide some respite from the fast pace of commerce. jmo.

I would like to go back to Boston--when I win the lottery. History and the seafood --oysters and chowder and bread --LOL--the baked beans--proximity to the water. good times.
sls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or