Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
Does the old town truly exist anymore? Small time stores, shops.......and a cute/charming downtown where you can just sit and people watch. Nice parks, greenways, and the tree lined neighborhoods. Privately owned coffeeshops, bookstores? Maybe even a nice library! And of a course where I can pick up a fixer upper for under $100,000. Hey it only has to be a one bedroom? lol.
Yes. Try 1958.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
Yes. Try 1958.
Nope, try 2008. There are lots of towns that fit this description around the Country. Sorry that yours must not, but that doesn't mean they are not still out there.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Oswego, New York. A city of 17,500 people on the shore of Lake Ontario. 40 miles to Syracuse.

It has a very highly rated SUNY with nearly 8,000 students, a nice independently owned bookstore downtown, at least one independently owned coffee shop, several good restaurants including Italian and Chinese and plenty of independently owned shops and markets. Recently the independently owned grocery stored expanded to accommodate its growing customer base. Oswego also has a small bus system and you can catch a bus to and from Syracuse seven days a week. It has tree lined streets filled with lots of older homes and you can easily find a house that needs little or no work for under 100 grand. It has an excellent park just to the northeast of the downtown area that is combined with an old revolutionary war fort and museum.

The only truly negative aspects that I can find with Oswego are the local job market (unless you are in health care) and you may have to commute to the Syracuse area and property taxes are a bit high, but lower than most NY communities.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
Does the old town truly exist anymore? Small time stores, shops.......and a cute/charming downtown where you can just sit and people watch. Nice parks, greenways, and the tree lined neighborhoods. Privately owned coffeeshops, bookstores? Maybe even a nice library! And of a course where I can pick up a fixer upper for under $100,000. Hey it only has to be a one bedroom? lol.

I know lots of these places but they are extremely expensive, I guess everyone else wants the same dream. I don't especially want to be stuck out in the rural areas, just need a few amenities. An area that I can take a leisurely stroll at night, or get on my bike and ride the streets, w/o being run off the road.

Nostalgic/Utopia? It this all in my mind, a fantasy, something I will never find A thing of the past that doesn't exist anymore!
You should take a look at Madison, CT. It's exactly all of the above--except the "fixer-upper" price...that will probably cost around $250-300k...but otherwise, it's such a quaint, small "mom and pop" with a tad bit of quaint/tourist thrown it...It's a beach town and the downtown is adorable.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,703 times
when i read this message, Ligonier, PA came immediately to mind. It is exactly what you are describing, and within 20 minutes, you can be in greensburg which has all the shopping/restaurants you could ever need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.