U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

48 posts, read 113,107 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say suburban Milwaukee has some real winners lol- It seems the more expensive the vehicle, the worse the driver Like common courtesy & rules are only for the "little people" We basically have 2 types here in the burbs:

1- If they are behind you-then they are Winston Cup wannabees, for whom no one can go fast enough.
2- If they are in front of you- then they become "Mr & Mrs Law-Abiding" who won't go 1 mph over the speed limit, because by golly Thats' the Law!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 PM

217 posts, read 814,362 times
I thought the drivers in the Pittsburgh area were very tame compared to other northeastern cities. Also outside of city on Interstate 79, I'll run 70 (speed limit is 65) and I am passing like 3/4 of the cars. They are very good about yielding to faster traffic and for the most part, use turn signals.

Something I've noticed about Michigan drivers is that they tend to drive very fast. Down here in Florida, it always seems that the fastest drivers on the interstate are from Michigan. They also tend to stay in the left lane while driving fast too. Most people just move back to the right lane when they pass. When I'm actually closer to Michigan, I notice the same thing.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,310 times
Yes, Michigan has fast drivers. Most will yield the left lane, although my dad loves to cruise the left lane. I scream at him about it.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
I am living in the Upstate of South Carolina. I don't know what has gotten into these people! Either I was young and didn't notice, or it's the fact that I'm getting older and being more careful, but I will say that you're darn near risking your very life when ya get in the car to drive around here!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM

41 posts, read 157,776 times
Of the 18ish states I've driven/ridden in, MD is definitely the worst. Maryland drivers are crazy. We will cut you off, merge without even looking, and randomly stop sometimes. People don't honk their horns a lot, which is perhaps a bad thing, because honking your horn is the only way to warn someone that you intend to come into their lane and crash into them. Drivers on the Baltimore Beltway will crash into you and kill you, and it seems like they're doing it on purpose.

Sorry for that rant. But I've been almost run off the beltway one too many times.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,201,417 times
Miami wins this topic hands down I do not care what anyone says. When seeing someone going 35mph in the left lane on the highway is a normal occurrence that is enough said. I have seen a lot of stuff on Miami roads. Every day is a challenge. Its a mix of Buenos Airies, NYC, Boston, Orlando, LA, Port Au Prince put together.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami wins this topic hands down I do not care what anyone says. When seeing someone going 35mph in the left lane on the highway is a normal occurrence that is enough said. I have seen a lot of stuff on Miami roads. Every day is a challenge. Its a mix of Buenos Airies, NYC, Boston, Orlando, LA, Port Au Prince put together.
You are absolutely correct. Almost daily, I am witnessing yet another horrible behaviour on the road in Miami. Twice yesterday I witnessed two different cars turn left from far right lanes (5 total lanes). Not only did the drivers of these cars make that incredibly dangerous and illegal move, they both did it AFTER the left turn lane no longer had the right of way and traffic was coming from the other direction. Both avoided a collision, which I attribute to the fact that Miami drivers are probably looking for bad behaviours.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM

56 posts, read 138,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murland View Post
Of the 18ish states I've driven/ridden in, MD is definitely the worst. Maryland drivers are crazy. We will cut you off, merge without even looking, and randomly stop sometimes. People don't honk their horns a lot, which is perhaps a bad thing, because honking your horn is the only way to warn someone that you intend to come into their lane and crash into them. Drivers on the Baltimore Beltway will crash into you and kill you, and it seems like they're doing it on purpose.

Sorry for that rant. But I've been almost run off the beltway one too many times.
I regard DC as slightly worse only because of the horrid traffic conditions. In Baltimore, as long as you drive fast you don't have too many problems.

And to the people who think Boston is bad, you guys don't have it that bad. My dad dries into DC every day and my mom into Baltimore, they went to Boston for 4 days driving all around. They got back and both told me the drivers in Boston were some of the safest and friendliest drivers out there!

If I am on some roads into Baltimore (namely I97) and am doing 75mph in the right lane I will be tailgated the whole time! MD drivers understand each other, to outsiders we look like we could all compete in professional car racing but we have organized chaos. If you keep up with traffic you will have few problems. DC drivers were also recently ranked to have the highest probability of hitting your car out of road rage.

Rules of Baltimore:
1. PUT THE PEDAL DOWN A-HOLE!
2. It is more efficient to jump across 3 lanes to your exit simultaneously rather than going to each one individually.
3. If you missed your exit, it is acceptable to blaze across multiple lanes of traffic and drive on the median.
4. You are late, whether or not you are actually arriving quite early, you must drive as if you are late for something.
5. If you are in the left lane doing less than 90mph you will be tailgated as if the car behind you has a swarm of missiles chasing them.
6. If you are in the right lane, see #5.
7. If you are in the center, proceed to go 10mph under the speed limit with out-of-state tags and **** off every person on the road.
8. We don't know, nor do we like you. We are not afraid to try and kill you if you look at us funny.
9. All people on motorcycles must die, they are evil.
10. If the roadway is not dangerous, it is your job to make it so.
11. Hills, curves, and bridges require slowing down to 20mph, proceed back to 95mph after you are past said obstacle.
12. Driving here is like death race: either lose him or kill him.

Last edited by Enzo_Guy; 08-17-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,107,425 times
its very true, Boston is bad. Super agressive, no turn signals, ride the breakdown lanes regularly (its legal), cutting people off, breaking for tailgaters. Believe me, once someone does it to you and flicks you off while doing it, very hard not to retaliate.

Plus the fact that the roads are old, not built for todays volume and signage is a nightmare. Just look at the Jamaica-Way, a very curvy 4 lane highway that was origionally built for horse and buggy. Its lined with tons of huge Oak trees less than a foot along the road and roots creating bumps in the road. All the trees are destroyed from cars hitting them.

Seriously, its extremely confusing/difficult to get around if your not a local. GPS's don't work here because there are many streets with the same name located in all parts of the city. lol

Providence is pretty bad too, highways have HUGE S-curves with onramps/exitramps and people drive very fast.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,196,264 times
^^ Oh ya especially elderly drivers there has been what like 10 accidents inthe past 2 in a half month one little girl was killed in my town Stoughton MA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or