U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:33 PM

69 posts, read 366,638 times

Advertisements

Try driving Interstate 95 from the northeast to Florida. It's pretty bad all the way down, especially the northeastern portion. As for cities, the Washington, DC area is filled with aggressive and rude drivers. Driving into New Jersey and through Connecticut is just teeth clinching madness. Atlanta was mentioned a couple of times, but I really didn't find driving there all that bad. Yes, they drive fast, but seemed pretty couteous overall. I do agree about the Midwest. Generally drivers there follow the rules of the road and are not aggressive, even in heavy traffic. As for the West, I am not sure, but I heard from friends that they were impressed with California drivers, considering the sheer volume of traffic. Florida is its own place. Filled with transplants from all over, you see all kinds of driving styles there. But amazingly, traffic flowed reasonably well. But less so in south FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,963,337 times
While where I live isn't bumper to bumper traffic, it's pretty awful here such as.

People don't let you over when merging onto the Interstate no matter how many people are on the road, if there looks to be enough room to get into a lane they will try it, people will merge without looking(mostly Ohio people), on a wide open highway they will cut you off even if the closest car is about 50 miles away(Michigan), people will back up on the road if they are behind a car just to get into another lane. And most importantly, a lot of people from Indiana can't do the speed limit, drive in their lane, turn properly, move their heads, yield the right of way, and oh yes, STOP AT STOP SIGNS.

Okay i'm done.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:26 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Default San Francisco

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned good ol' San Francisco! We might not have quite as much traffic as LA, and I agree about Bostonians being the WORST... but we come in a close second or third. Here are the basic rules for becoming a true Bay Area driver:

1. Never use a turn-signal when switching lanes... wait until you have an inch of space, and just zip straight across, practically touching the other car's bumpers. Why give them any warning, when they'll just scoot up & box you in?

2. Always tailgate when driving in the fast lane, regardless of how fast the other drivers are going. Then as soon as the chance arises, weave around to get in front, once again regardless of their speed (even if it's 95mph!).

3. In the event that somebody might want to switch into your lane, always pace the driver next to you. Even if there's no turn-signal blinking (see rule #1), assume they might try to snake their way in. Pacing is necessary, as it prevents them from getting either in front of or behind your car.

4. Carpool lanes, red lights and stop-signs are all merely suggestions... just do whatever gets you through the quickest, unless there's a visible cop nearby. Compact parking spots are also just a suggestion, and should be used two at a time for large SUVs.

5. High-beams aren't for use on dark roads, they're for annoying other drivers! Use them when someone dares to get in front of you, or simply because you feel like being a jerk.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Los Angeles has these gems:

1. Utility/landscaping trucks will get on the freeway, move over into the fast lane, and then go 50 mph.

2. At the onramp I use every morning, the sign at the end of the onramp says "2 cars per green". Apparently, no one can count to two, because the second car rarely goes!

3. Turn signals? What are those?

4. When someone sees their exit only a hundred feet away, and they're in the left lane, it's perfectly okay for them to go straight across four or five lanes of traffic to reach it!

5. People spend so much time on the freeways here that it's common to see the following: putting on makeup, shaving, reading the paper, writing in a notebook, and of course, talking on cell phones constantly!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Los Angeles has these gems:
4. When someone sees their exit only a hundred feet away, and they're in the left lane, it's perfectly okay for them to go straight across four or five lanes of traffic to reach it!
LOL - I've actually done that in LA. Wasn't really my fault, though, since those left entrances are ridiculous. Got on the freeway in the far left lane, and had to exit at the next off-ramp... what else could I do?!

Quote:
5. People spend so much time on the freeways here that it's common to see the following: putting on makeup, shaving, reading the paper, writing in a notebook, and of course, talking on cell phones constantly!
Ah yes, we have those gems too... cell phones mainly, which I swear is more dangerous than drinking & driving!
"Oh gee, did I just drift into another lane? So anyway, where should we meet for dinner?" Oy vey.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
Actually, the only time I came close to an accident was in San Francisco, just driving out of the Mission when I heard a loud popping noise--it was a car chase, shot-out, swerving in and out of traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned good ol' San Francisco! We might not have quite as much traffic as LA, and I agree about Bostonians being the WORST... but we come in a close second or third. Here are the basic rules for becoming a true Bay Area driver:

1. Never use a turn-signal when switching lanes... wait until you have an inch of space, and just zip straight across, practically touching the other car's bumpers. Why give them any warning, when they'll just scoot up & box you in?

2. Always tailgate when driving in the fast lane, regardless of how fast the other drivers are going. Then as soon as the chance arises, weave around to get in front, once again regardless of their speed (even if it's 95mph!).

3. In the event that somebody might want to switch into your lane, always pace the driver next to you. Even if there's no turn-signal blinking (see rule #1), assume they might try to snake their way in. Pacing is necessary, as it prevents them from getting either in front of or behind your car.

4. Carpool lanes, red lights and stop-signs are all merely suggestions... just do whatever gets you through the quickest, unless there's a visible cop nearby. Compact parking spots are also just a suggestion, and should be used two at a time for large SUVs.

5. High-beams aren't for use on dark roads, they're for annoying other drivers! Use them when someone dares to get in front of you, or simply because you feel like being a jerk.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM

752 posts, read 619,868 times
For a big city, Seattle has some pretty good drivers. Most of the time they're polite.

One city with some bad drivers is Salt Lake City. For a gridded city with such wide roads, I'm amazed at how poorly people drive there.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM

464 posts, read 697,057 times
I grew up driving in Los Angeles and have driven many times in SFO, hate driving in Las Vegas, but I would have to say SFO (San Francisco) hands down. I hate all the hills.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,618,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Best I've seen so far is North Carolina. I have no idea why, but the drivers there seem a bit different. If they see you coming up behind them in the left lane, they ACTUALLY move over to let you by. They signal, they let you in, etc.

I vote NC.
Yup, NC seems to be pretty good. Ohio is not bad on major roads, like freeways, most people are sane. But it is not true the more rural you get the better it will be. SE Ohio is very rural, some of the roads are very twisting, narrow and a challenge even if you are careful. Monroe County is averaging over one death a week by auto accident, many are single car crashes. That is in a county with a population probably now somewhere around 12,000 people bouncing around in like 500 square miles. Very little law enforcement, some of them go off the road well over a 100 MPH on a road maybe safe at 30 MPH. That is just the tip of the iceberg, so many accidents where they survive, almost a way of life. Everybody has a tale about "My Accident". Lot of bad drivers in plenty of space to avoid ever having an accident. For some reason they all see themselves as undiscovered racing drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The worst drivers, and the worst roads and worst signage for that matter, I've ever seen were in Boston. I found myself after completing various trips around town just white-knuckled, eyes bulging, heart pumping and mad at the world.
Yup, the total worse are definitely in Boston. Totally right on about the roads, some third World countries have better roads, potholes big enough to hide a horse, forget trying to either read the signs or figuring out what they mean in Boston. Especially some of those that direct to Starrow Drive. If you don't know the roads, can be dead meat, Boston is not for the timid or lost and the only way you learn to really know the streets is get lost a lot.

Plus they have this neat trick of driving around at night with no lights on. Better yet be drunk, female and from South America, totally immune from any consequences. Is a wild experience to get close calls as they run red lights, in darker cars it is the true meaning of stealh driving, never see them coming on your radar, even if looking for them. Plus they have No Fault insurance, which means everything is your fault, figure that one out.

Not many places left with really good drivers. Lots of places with bad drivers, the only thing that will save Boston is the traffic will finally get so bad everything will come to a total halt. Not to worry, there is still the sidewalk, lawns and roof tops, where there is a will, there is a way.

If the wheels will still turn, they will run over it.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,525 times
Depending on where you're at in Florida, it can be one of the worst driving places. You get all the people from the worst driving cities coming here. Plus you have alot of old people who will beep if you arent "johnny on the spot" as soon as a light changes. If there is a massive thunderstorm its like people panic and drive insanely sometimes! It has to be one of the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or