U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:20 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,565,045 times

Advertisements

I went to high school and learned to drive in Columbia before I went to college, I went back a decade later after college and the Navy. I can say that I only witnessed two accidents in the ten years I was driving the streets. And I'm only aware of three other accidents. Of course I wasn't reading the news daily then either, and my experiences are only anecdotal. I will say that the Columbia City police have been fairly aggressive about stopping speeders. (Not as bad a Forest Acres, but that's a different story.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 AM

32 posts, read 100,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
If it weren't for the fact that the beltway is a parking lot at rush hour, I would move there in a heartbeat, lol.

I LOVE PEOPLE WHO DRIVE LIKE THAT!!!

~T
Oh it is a blast. In some parts of the city, its almost third world. There are no lane markings in a lot of places bc they've been worn away, so it's pretty much make your own lane. People ROUTINELY drive on sidewalks to pass. The traffic is horrific, which makes things worse bc everyone is in a hurry and no one gives a damn about anyone else. I've driven in Michigan, NYC, ATL, Jersey, and Philly, and no one holds a candle to DC drivers. We have the highest insurance premiums in the country for a reason.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:10 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,659,836 times
I read the article, and I don't think it's a valid or useful study.
"The key factors in deciding the rankings include the total number of fatal accidents and fatal crashes caused by speeding."
In very large cities like NYC, it would be very unlikely to have a large number of fatal accidents caused by speeding because the majority of the streets have very low speed limits and traffic is too tight to generate much speeding. But that doesn't mean NYC has amore safe drivers than other cities. In fact, I think NYC and the metro area in NJ surrounding it, is full of terrible, aggressive drivers. I live here and I know; we pay high car insurance rates to prove it. I feel much safer driving in cities that are less crowded...there may be more of a risk of speeding but I still feel it's less likely anyone will hit my car.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
Michigander driving... I thought the posted speed limit the slowest you're suppose to go?!?!?

The *true* Michigan drivers 1. maintain about 15-20 mph over the posted limit, 2. are very good tailgaters, and 3. are usually pretty proud of what they are capable of!

A typical Michigan winter will yield adventures on the highway.. only a true MI native can gracefully hydroplane across inch thick black ice doing 80 mph (taking her easy, roads are bad..) while weaving in and out of traffic in their 4WD SUV sipping on a whipped cream topped latte. Most don't use their blinkers because they are passing you so fast that the blinker is irrelevent by the time they need it. And Detroit is a special treat... easily 95% of the vehicles traveling throughout the area have several dents, dings, scratches, or just general "war scars" along the driver and passenger sides of the car. They don't watch out for cars around them, they expect cars around them to watch out for them. Along 696 in Detroit, you MUST keep up with the pace of traffic or you WILL cause an accident.

Not saying we're bad drivers, we're just fast drivers. I have been in many other states - and while we all experience inconsiderate drivers, I have not quite found anything similar to the MI highway experience - which is jsut fast driving. Ohio folks take it easy (and you usually see MI plates cruising by OH drivers at some rediculous speed), Tenn / Kentucky drivers are moderate, Carolinas are moderate (watch out for the truckers, though!), and Florida's NE (along 95 - this area was previously mentioned) is real close, but not quite up to the challenge. I bet ya anything Florida folks would slow down a bit if you throw some ice out there!
Michigan driving (back home) is a treat! I'm out of NE Ohio now, but mid-Illinois is kinda snoozy. The flat plains and sparse traffic isn't much to discuss.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:05 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,774,056 times
Quote:
I can say that I only witnessed two accidents in the ten years
I seen two just last monday.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,399,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I read the article, and I don't think it's a valid or useful study.
"The key factors in deciding the rankings include the total number of fatal accidents and fatal crashes caused by speeding."
In very large cities like NYC, it would be very unlikely to have a large number of fatal accidents caused by speeding because the majority of the streets have very low speed limits and traffic is too tight to generate much speeding. But that doesn't mean NYC has amore safe drivers than other cities. In fact, I think NYC and the metro area in NJ surrounding it, is full of terrible, aggressive drivers. I live here and I know; we pay high car insurance rates to prove it. I feel much safer driving in cities that are less crowded...there may be more of a risk of speeding but I still feel it's less likely anyone will hit my car.
I thought the drivers were bad in NJ (north) also until I moved to SC. I love it here but there are accidents all over the place, trucks always in the left lane and people cutting me off left and right. Everyone is driving around talking on cell phones and most people have either a truck, van or SUV, so if you have a car (like me) you are like a mouse surrounded by giants.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM

151 posts, read 742,909 times
Default Atlanta

I've nearly been hit 6, yes that's SIX, times at intersections by cars running red lights in the 3 years I've lived here. And I am not talking about pink just turned red. I have a 3 second rule now. I won't enter the intersection for at least until 3 seconds after the light turns green. It's actually saved my life, no kidding, a couple of times already... But the Atlanta drivers are #1 rude, #2 aggressive, and #3 careless. I've driven in LA, NY, Houston, Dallas, DC, Phily, and most places in between. Atlanta has by far the worst drivers.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM

513 posts, read 869,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaAZ View Post
Hey all,

I currently live in Phoenix but am moving to either Denver or Minneapolis (we haven't made up our mind yet) within the next six months. We recently completed a road trip to Denver and Minneapolis and drove through many states along the way.

I am a native Californian and after having driven in Phoenix for four years, I am used to crazy drivers who drive like maniacs... Phoenix drivers are horrible- they drive dangerously fast, cut you off without a second thought, never use turn signals and honk their horns constantly. The drivers in Denver were also crazy (not as bad as Phoenix, but still crazy). As we traveled further east into the midwest, I couldn't beleive the polite mentality of the drivers- I was truly astounded by the drivers in Minnepolis.... people actually obeyed the speed limit, used their turn signals and politely let people in. I never heard a single person honk their horn- a total change from Phoenix. This got me to thinking, what cities do you think have the best and worst drivers?
It depends on how you drive I think. I am personally an aggressive driver so I find Jersey perfect for me (except when you get a shoulda-been-Midwestern NJ driver fouling up the flow).

Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 AM

414 posts, read 2,416,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzII View Post
I just read this thread and will say the following:

Chicago Drivers:

- Detest using turn signals
- Go well over 20 mph over the speed limit on expressways and some main streets (Including in construction zones)
- Are not as polite as you may think (Road rage is common and there have been some well-publicized incidents that turned fatal)
- Can be as aggressive as NYC drivers
- Will cross three lanes of traffic to make their exit (I have seen some near misses when idiots do that)
- Treat stop signs as yield signs and will blow them
- Blow through yellow lights (Except at the intersections with the cameras)
- Try to drive like bats out of hell when the weather turns inclement
- Weave through traffic

I have lived in Chicago for most of my life and know some of the emergency personnel that have to deal with the end results of some of these idiots.

Phoenix Drivers are definitely worse. They have some of the same things as Chicago drivers...times 2. In fact, the traffic reports on KTAR average 5 accidents a report. Not surprising when they don't like to yield at intersections at all. I have to drive like I did in Chicago to keep myself from getting hit.
Yeah my thoughts on Chicago - I've had to drive around downtown in rush hour and its hard to know which lane is the right to be in because they all change and it doesnt keep a big luxury SUV or some taxis flying at 40 mph well i'm trying to turn into something else from honking and feeling like I have a near accident. I drive 55 on Lakeshore drive and people go flying by me they certainly dont have enough time to stop in the case of an accident. Bad weather in Chicago - snow/wind, people still go mega fast. The speed limit is 55 on the Kennedy, TriState etc and if you go 60 mph you will be passed by everyone on the highway. If you don't pull out quickly from a red light turned green you will get honked at and I'm not very nice to people who honk at me. I honk back and go hella slow around the corner after that.

Bad too are some of the North Shore communities with certain people who are very pushy and like to honk. I can't wait to get out of here for feeling more relaxed while driving for one and well weather and lifestyle for other parts of it. I've found the Calumet expressway, stevenson, and south burbs to be overall chiller than the north or northwest or downtown Chicago but in any case I'm leaving.

Also from Philadelphia. The Schuylkill Expressway is pretty bad people going very fast etc lot of pushy people on expressways what not. However I don't find it as bad driving there in the Northeast as I found driving in Chicago. For one you don't get the extreme in weather and well I don't often drive in downtown Philadelphia but aside from some certain moneyed burbs, most of the burbs are alright to drive in.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,869,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
The speed limit is 55 on the Kennedy, TriState etc and if you go 60 mph you will be passed by everyone on the highway
That is because everyone knows that the minimum speed on any local expressway is 75mph, go any slower than that and you'll have have grannies with blue hair in Lincoln Towncars honking and swearing at you as they strain to peer over the steering wheel

On another note, it the whole honking thing is cultural specific to regions, I never thought to much about honking, or being honked until I moved away and realized that some people get REALLY angry about it, it sort of took me by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or