U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 AM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
(and you usually see MI plates cruising by OH drivers at some rediculous speed)
And an Ontario driver is on the Michigan driver's bumper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 20,983 times
#1 worst driving pet peeve: MICHIGAN DRIVERS WHO INSIST ON DRIVING THROUGH CINCINNATI ON I-75 EVERY TIME THERE'S A HOLIDAY!

I mean really folks! Its bad enough our 2 major highways all funnel down to one ancient 3-lane bridge that gets clogged at lunch, much less rush hour. But then every fool from Michigan passing through for a holiday weekend feels the need to add their RV+car to the mess!

Here's a tip: We have a beltway for a reason! That's right, you can go AROUND THE CITY and only add 3-5 minutes to your travel time rather than adding 30-50 minutes to mine. But I guess Michigan drivers are too good for that.

#1 city for worst drivers: Kansas City, Mo. Hands down the worst bunch of malcontents that ever got behind the wheel.

They can't control their speed.
They have no idea where they're going until they're 20 feet from the exit ramp in the far left lane.
They had their turn signals removed because someone told them they get better gas mileage that way.
Their cops have nothing better to do than sit in a dark blue car, unmarked, on an overpass, against the inside berm, in the dark, without any street lights on, and no parking lights so you basically run into them before you see they're there.

#2 Texas drivers: What can you expect from a state where you can take the "at home" version of the driving test where your parents test you and say you passed and all you have to do is the cheezy written test that shows you can tell a yield sign from a railroad crossing. Absolutely frightening. And of course they figure they all have the right of way and the right to mow you down if you should dare think otherwise.

#3 Pittsburgh. Probably the most inconsiderate people on the planet because they're so accustomed to everyone else doing as they please, so they do too. And someone mentioned jumping red lights. Its SO bad in Pittsburgh that my family was sitting at a red light in the left turn lane and a cop WAVED US THROUGH even though he was going straight and had the right of way. All because they're so used to everyone jumping the light. But its not all their fault considering their roadway engineers are a bunch of chimps who think Rollercoaster Tycoon is a great way to design roadways.

#4 Kentucky drivers in Ohio: I swear these people come across the river and lose their MINDS! They don't know where they're going, don't care to figure it out, and will take your front end off when they realize they've just about passed their destination.

#5 Drivers from all over who don't look in their blindspot before changing lanes, don't use mirrors, don't use signals, don't let traffic alternate-merge on highway ramps, and drive 35 in the high speed lane.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,562,009 times
I haven't been to all places, but of all the places I've been Texas gets my vote!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
The best places were probably Denver and Minneapolis.
From PamelaAZ

Denver and Minneapolis? There is a thread on the Denver forum about the bad drivers there. I concur and have posted there. Minneapolis has a lot of speed-crazy people driving around. They also have a terrible rush-hour problem, where you don't drive at all.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And an Ontario driver is on the Michigan driver's bumper!
Ever been on the 401 or the QEW in Ontario? Much more exciting than anything Ohio has to offer!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeux View Post
#1 worst driving pet peeve: MICHIGAN DRIVERS WHO INSIST ON DRIVING THROUGH CINCINNATI ON I-75 EVERY TIME THERE'S A HOLIDAY!

I mean really folks! Its bad enough our 2 major highways all funnel down to one ancient 3-lane bridge that gets clogged at lunch, much less rush hour. But then every fool from Michigan passing through for a holiday weekend feels the need to add their RV+car to the mess!

Here's a tip: We have a beltway for a reason! That's right, you can go AROUND THE CITY and only add 3-5 minutes to your travel time rather than adding 30-50 minutes to mine. But I guess Michigan drivers are too good for that.

#3 Pittsburgh. Probably the most inconsiderate people on the planet because they're so accustomed to everyone else doing as they please, so they do too. And someone mentioned jumping red lights. Its SO bad in Pittsburgh that my family was sitting at a red light in the left turn lane and a cop WAVED US THROUGH even though he was going straight and had the right of way. All because they're so used to everyone jumping the light. But its not all their fault considering their roadway engineers are a bunch of chimps who think Rollercoaster Tycoon is a great way to design roadways.

#4 Kentucky drivers in Ohio: I swear these people come across the river and lose their MINDS! They don't know where they're going, don't care to figure it out, and will take your front end off when they realize they've just about passed their destination.

#5 Drivers from all over who don't look in their blindspot before changing lanes, don't use mirrors, don't use signals, don't let traffic alternate-merge on highway ramps, and drive 35 in the high speed lane.
Kentucky and Michigan would be better off if Ohio just wasn't in the way. It's not the fault of everyone else that 71 and 75 through Cincy are routed horribly. (The UrbanOhio forums discuss this in detail.)

The Cincy skyline is nice to see versus the long 275 detour you 'recommend.'

Quote:
considering their roadway engineers are a bunch of chimps who think Rollercoaster Tycoon is a great way to design roadways.
Now you are just sounding like one irritable Buckeye. Pittsburgh is serious driving fun! Chicago is fast and furious, Detroit is a rocket, but Pittsburgh is wild good times.

Although mid-state Illinois is farther from home in SE Michigan than Akron in NE Ohio, it's so nice to live somewhere where people don't mind changing lanes to move out of the way of other drivers passing through.

Thanks for the (archetypical) laughs!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM

I have never been in a car in New Jersey or Texas that I can remember. When's the best time to enjoy the "fun" ?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 AM

812 posts, read 3,583,904 times
I agree that its pretty awesome that Southern Californians can successfully pull off having 10 million people on a highway at 80 miles an hour most of the time. The gripes that I have though, in San Diego:

-some of those Tijuana drivers are pretty scary in their erratic driving patterns
-the tons of tourists, and their respective driving styles from each of the other 49 states
-how I become the idiot for minding the "Keep Clear" in front of fire stations when traffic backs up to them. Once got flipped off by a 70 year old in a Geo for trying that as he went around me in a bike lane and proceeded to block it.
-again, people get so mad at me for not blocking the grid. I'm used to San Francisco, where they'll give you a fat ticket for that. In San Diego, I think they give you a ticket for NOT doing it.
-San Diego's interchanges were definately built for lower speeds, especially the downhill ones in Mission Valley at the 805, 163 and 15 at the 8. I've discovered that the technique comes from NASCAR. You take it at 80 mph, slam on your brakes for the cloverleaf turn (while the two lanes merge into one sometmes), and then gas it back up to 80 ASAP. Good thing I drive a european car. It boggles my mind how the TJ vans can pull it off.

oh, and the last one:
-how a light drizzle in San Diego = 10 car pileup. Same goes for the Grapevine. Up in Norcal they can somehow pull off Donner Pass in pretty bad snow, though (albeit badly), but a little rain is asking a lot from many Southern Californians. 80 miles per hour is still the king.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 20,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The Cincy skyline is nice to see versus the long 275 detour you 'recommend.'
Then I suggest you stop at the airport or one of the many gas stations along the I-275 beltway and pick up a few picture postcards on your way through.

But seriously, I don't mind the occassional Michigan driver, its just the holiday masses. Those times of the year gawking at our skyline should be secondary to making sure everyone gets through town in a safe and secure manner. And the least they could do is force the truckers and RV drivers to use the beltway. Its the slow-to-accelerate diesels that slow things down the most.

Oh, and for the record, I enjoy driving in Chicago more than any other large city I've been to. People know where they're going. They get in the lane they need before they actually get to the exit ramp. They don't feel the need to come to a complete stop..... THEN creep through a right turn. And unless you've splattered some poor schlub all over the median wall they don't slow down to rubberneck.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 AM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Quote:
Ever been on the 401 or the QEW in Ontario?
Yeah, and I dunno who I was more scared of, the OPP or the native motorists!

M TYPE X, have I seen you of a Friday afternoon driving north on I-71 around Ashland? Having "fun" with the other motorists? Enlisting my help in keeping this one really, really rude driver from passing us?

Quote:
And the least they could do is force the truckers and RV drivers to use the beltway.
Ummmmm. Remember when Fort Washington Way was under reconstruction, and the truckers were supposed to use I-275? That went over real well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or