U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM

134 posts, read 401,401 times

Advertisements

[quote=jessemh431;910117]Californians, specifically SoCal, are the best drivers. LA has about 20 million in our metro area but somehow manage to keep the freeways going. we drive crazy here and very fast but still safe at the same time.

---You are right about that. So Cal is very busy, but the drivers are fast, but good overall. It's kind of a laid back craziness. Although I spent just under a month out there, I never experienced the famous road age So Cal is known for. In fact, I thought overall they were courteous, more so than on the East Coast. The only bad drivers I saw were in the neighborhoods in Beverly Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,084,889 times
[quote=markdalton;913423]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The only bad drivers I saw were in the neighborhoods in Beverly Hills.
thats wat i mean. thats where all the ferraris and porches are

Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 AM

1,134 posts, read 913,255 times
Everyone going over 80 when they can, and only a car's length between them. I've found it to work there, unless there's that single lane shutdown that causes semi's to hop like bunnyrabbits.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM

403 posts, read 1,434,003 times
Miami, Florida! People here drive at 100 mph in a 70 mph speed limit zone. They have accidents every day. People are always talking on their cell phones and flipping their middle fingers at people. Miami is the #1 city in the whole country for agreesive driving. Tampa is pretty bad too, they rank #8 for the most agreesive driving its ahead of Orlando and Jacksonville and San Diego and also Denver.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Bingo! I concur. Where as some cities like New York and Boston are just prone to aggressive drving tactics, Rhode Islanders are just notrious numb-skulls in so many ways. The drivers are aggressive AND stupid. Some of the highways and routes are also badly outdated and such things as suddenly merging lanes when there is no merging lane sign to indicate as such, are commonplace.
Is it the people, or the roads? I think you have to be a New England driver to appreciate the ... infrastructure.

Buckeyes and Hoosiers have no excuses; with the exception of perhaps Cincinnati, the roads are very wide and well signed.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 AM

30 posts, read 146,053 times
Overall places that are more populated generally have worse drivers than rural areas. California drivers drive way too fast for the road conditions and tailgate if you're not screeching around corners. I've almost got hit by someone flying around a corner too fast. If you go driving in Anchorage, Alaska be prepared for drivers who don't pay attention and do really stupid things.

I would say Hawaii has the most courteous drivers.. although not as much on Oahu. Montana and surrounding areas have pretty good drivers as well.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,187,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaAZ View Post
Hey all,

I currently live in Phoenix but am moving to either Denver or Minneapolis (we haven't made up our mind yet) within the next six months. We recently completed a road trip to Denver and Minneapolis and drove through many states along the way.

I am a native Californian and after having driven in Phoenix for four years, I am used to crazy drivers who drive like maniacs... Phoenix drivers are horrible- they drive dangerously fast, cut you off without a second thought, never use turn signals and honk their horns constantly. The drivers in Denver were also crazy (not as bad as Phoenix, but still crazy). As we traveled further east into the midwest, I couldn't beleive the polite mentality of the drivers- I was truly astounded by the drivers in Minnepolis.... people actually obeyed the speed limit, used their turn signals and politely let people in. I never heard a single person honk their horn- a total change from Phoenix. This got me to thinking, what cities do you think have the best and worst drivers?
Salt Lake has road rage and crazy drivers! Even in the Suburbs!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 AM

25 posts, read 90,701 times
I live in Tennessee, and they are just as bad here. I cam from Pennsylvania, and wow, what a difference. Those pictures I secnd for Tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
ATLANTA!

Not only do they drive 5 inches from each other, they do it at full speed. In most cities traffic jams are annoying. In ATL it's scary!
Looks like this:
http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/images/tracks/talladega/talladega_photo1.jpg (broken link)

What you feel like's going to happen to you at any second:

Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 51,456 times
Myself, I enjoy the Las Vegas combination of:

1) Locals who have moved here from every other major city in the country, brought their high-speed, aggressive driving styles with them, and aren't happy unless they are running 80-90mph...

WITH

2) Millions of lost, distracted tourists running 45-50mph on the same freeways with their heads on a swivel looking at positively everything EXCEPT the pavement in front of them.

One 5pm traffic update this past summer had 13 separate accidents to report at the same time! It went on so long that they had to do a commercial break in between them all.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,287 times
The original cities of 'car culture' are Detroit and Los Angeles, so there should be some kind of initial intercept coefficient effect in your model.

Of course, people move in and out of Los Angeles all the time, and other cities, notably Atlanta, have developed around the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or