Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 PM

154 posts, read 707,162 times

Advertisements

i can't believe providence, RI, hasn't been mentioned yet. it's a hybrid of the bad driving from both boston & new york. the roads aren't that great either, so it doesn't really help. you're taking your life into your own hands if you drive in providence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineinMN View Post
California drivers have also well earned their reputation as some of the country's worst.
I don't think so, we have alot of practice in heavy traffic. I think it helps increase awareness and to slow down. With that said, when rush hour traffic starts to break up, people HAUL because they don't know when it will be back!!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
So, what about the BEST places?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
The folks here in Northeastern PA do NOT know what a "turn signal" is! They've apparently all purchased the rare Lexus and Mercedes SUVs that don't come standard with blinkers! I'm getting tired of blaring my horn and flipping off people on I-81, I-476, I-380, I-84, and even our urban surface streets who either turn in front of me without signalling or cut me off without signalling! What a bunch of jerks!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I don't think so, we have alot of practice in heavy traffic. I think it helps increase awareness and to slow down. With that said, when rush hour traffic starts to break up, people HAUL because they don't know when it will be back!!
For the most part, I think LA drivers are pretty courteous. They are pretty good about letting people into crowded lanes and moving over for police chases!

I thought Nashville had some really bad drivers but I've only driven through there once.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
So, what about the BEST places?

Best I've seen so far is North Carolina. I have no idea why, but the drivers there seem a bit different. If they see you coming up behind them in the left lane, they ACTUALLY move over to let you by. They signal, they let you in, etc.

I vote NC.

-TT

Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

40 posts, read 204,090 times
The BEST drivers I've seen were in Seattle. The WORST drivers I've seen hands down were in Miami. Another city that hasn't been mentioned is Detroit- horrible, horrible drivers. California drivers have a reputation for being very aggressive, but they aren't anything like the drivers on the east coast. I'm originally from Chicago but live in Denver now... the drivers in Denver are alot like the drivers in Chicago: they get to where they need to go but still have some common courtesy. I'd call them "politely aggressive."

Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
The worst drivers, and the worst roads and worst signage for that matter, I've ever seen were in Boston. I found myself after completing various trips around town just white-knuckled, eyes bulging, heart pumping and mad at the world.

The best? I guess that's a bit harder to decide. It would probably be some rural area, but then again, the low volume of traffic makes driving a somewhat different experience. As far as cities go though, well, believe it or not but I'd choose New York City. Hear me out for a second. Drivers are absolutely insane and aggressive, BUT they are very skilled. In looking at cabs coming within inches of parked cars at 60 MPH, dodging delivery trucks, jaywalkers, roadwork, and dealing with one-way streets, honking horns and bicycle messengers, it's amazing that you rarely ever see actual car accidents in the streets.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
The worst places I've EVER driven in were Houston and Los Angeles. Both of these places made we want to pull my hair out. I really don't mind driving in traffic but this was horrendous. I'm used to the horrible drivers in Phoenix but these places take the cake.

The best places were probably Denver and Minneapolis. I could actually merge without getting cut off by some 16 year-old driving a Ricer. Very polite...actually almost too polite for me. I still drove like I would in Phoenix and probably made a few enemies along the way.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Caroline72 View Post
The WORST drivers I've seen hands down were in Miami.
Thank you! I was just about to post in shock that Miami hadn't been mentioned yet!!!
(I assume the combo of NYers & Haitians is a factor... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.