U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM

571 posts, read 2,295,723 times

Advertisements

I don't live in California, but if I did, I'd be pretty stoked if MY elected officials were so wisely using my hard earned tax dollars debating the finer points of banning lightbulbs and whether or not people should be allowed to smoke in their cars. We don't need anyone addressing silly issues like immigration or education or crime...

Nope, we need more lightbulb and cigarette police!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Daily Driving Schedule Comparisons of My Family and I at Age 30:

Scenario I (Residence in Scranton's Hill Section)

5:45 AM (Arise, Make Bed, Shake off the Cobwebs, etc.)
6:00 AM (Head out for a Rejuvenating Half-Hour Run Along the Shaded Sidewalks of the Hill Section)
6:30 AM (Hop into Shower)
6:40 AM (Dress, Watch Morning News, Have Omelettes with my Partner)
7:00 AM (Wake Children For School)
7:45 AM (Walk Children to School in the Hill Section)
8:00 AM (Walk to my Downtown Office)
12:00 PM (Walk Home for Lunch with my Partner)
12:30 PM (Walk Back to my Office)
3:30 PM (My Partner Walks to the School to Pick Up Our Children)
5:00 PM (I Walk Home from Work)
6:00 PM (After Calling the Sitter, my Partner and I Walk Downtown for Dinner at Molly Brannigan's, Enjoy a NEPA Philharmonic Concert at the Scranton Cultural Center, Window-Shop, Hit up the Mall at Steamtown, Mellow out at the Blues Street Cafe, etc.)
10:00 PM (Walk Home, Dismiss Sitter, and Tuck Children into Bed)

Total Family Driving Time: 0 Minutes

Scenario II (Residence in the suburban Abingtons)

5:25 AM (Arise, Make Bed, Shake off the Cobwebs, etc.)
5:40 AM (Drive 10 Minutes to a Safe Spot to Run Without Traffic)
5:50 AM (Half-Hour Run)
6:20 AM (Drive 10 Minutes Home From Run)
6:30 AM (Hop Into Shower)
6:40 AM (Dress, Watch Morning News, Have Omelettes with my Partner)
6:45 AM (Wake Children For School)
7:30 AM (Drive 10 Minutes to Drop off Children at Abington Heights Middle School)
7:40 AM (Drive 20 Minutes from School to Downtown)
8:00 AM (Park Car at a Garage)
8:05 AM (Arrive at Office after 5-Minute Walk from Garage)
11:45 AM (Walk to Car)
11:50 AM (Drive 20 Minutes from Downtown to Home)
12:10 PM (Arrive Home for Quick Lunch with my Partner)
12:30 PM (Drive 20 Minutes from Home to Downtown)
12:50 PM (Park Car at a Garage)
12:55 PM (Return to my Office after 5-Minute Walk from Garage)
3:20 PM (My Partner Leaves to Drive 10 Minutes to Pick up Children at School)
3:30 PM (My Partner Picks up Children, Drives 10 Minutes Back Home)
3:40 PM (My Partner and Children Arrive Home)
5:00 PM (Depart Work)
5:05 PM (Reach Garage and Drive 20 Minutes Home)
5:25 PM (Arrive Home)
6:00 PM (After Calling a Sitter, My Partner and I Drive 20 Minutes to Downtown)
6:20 PM (Park Car at Garage)
9:40 PM (Drive 20 Minutes from Garage Back Home)
10:00 PM (Arrive Home, Dismiss Sitter, Tuck in Children)

Total Family Driving Time: 170 Minutes

As you can see, between my family and I, we'd be spending approximately three hours behind the wheel per day on this type of a weekday if we lived in some gated community near Clarks Summit as opposed to the 0 minutes behind the wheel if we lived near Center City in the Hill Section. By doing so, we'd be reducing our nation's dependency upon fossil fuels and relaxing ourselves with less time sitting in traffic (the trade-off being more exercise from walking up and down the hill!)

Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 PM

2,389 posts, read 7,772,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As a budding urban planner myself, I've read many books on this issue. My favorite is probably Thomas Hylton's "Save Our Land; Save our Towns," which highlights PA's uncontrollable addiction to sprawl, the negative consequences of it (segregating social classes and races, increasing our dependency upon foreign oil, abolishing mixed-use zoning areas, loss of open space, demise of traditional Main Streets, etc.)
Lots of consequences of bad urban planning too. I visit Tucson quite often to see my mother. Tucson many years ago had a classic southwestern / 19th century Mexican architecture central city area. Picture what millions of tourists see who visit Santa Fe today, and Tucson had something comparable albeit without the fancy galleries and high end stores. I'm sure the old town area needed some work, but it didn't need to be bulldozed. The 1960s era city planners of Tucson pushed through a scorched earth "downtown redevelopment" plan that put up a bunch of faceless office buildings and storefronts in the central city. Downtown Tucson is practically devoid of any visitors, and the sidewalks are typically empty. Such is city planning at its worst.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 318,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'm beginning to realize that urban sprawl is still, sadly, "the wave of the future."
^^Until it becomes too expensive due to gas shortages.^^

But as far as sprawl. I think you can break that down to 2 problems.
1. to much crime in the city/safety.
2. bad schools.

Get rid of those two problems and I think alot of people would prefer to live in a walkable city type environment.

Will those problems be solved? I doubt it.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 PM

919 posts, read 1,705,032 times
Default things we dont need?

people that think profiling is wrong. when nuns strap bombs to themselves I'll start profiling them. Libs that keep sticking there nose in my life, dont spank, smoke, pray.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times
My thoughts? I love television, and won't make any apologies for that... after a long day of using my brain to it's max, I enjoy being able to rest it & laugh/cry off my stress. I also use it as background noise, and I'm almost always doing other things at the same time (like right now). That's fine if you don't like it, but nobody's forced to purchase one, or to pay for cable... so leave it to those who like that form of entertainment.

And about the "PC/Racism Police", why would you want or need the ability to be a racist?? Seriously, I don't really get that one. I understand being annoyed at people who get really anal about it, but there's nothing wrong with a little tact and good manners. Anyway, it's a free country, so go ahead & say whatever you'd like... and in return, I can tell you when you're being a jerk.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I don't live in California, but if I did, I'd be pretty stoked if MY elected officials were so wisely using my hard earned tax dollars debating the finer points of banning lightbulbs and whether or not people should be allowed to smoke in their cars. We don't need anyone addressing silly issues like immigration or education or crime...

Nope, we need more lightbulb and cigarette police!!
LOL... I do live in California, and sadly you have a point.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,938,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My thoughts? I love television, and won't make any apologies for that... after a long day of using my brain to it's max, I enjoy being able to rest it & laugh/cry off my stress. I also use it as background noise, and I'm almost always doing other things at the same time (like right now). p
Gizmo
You are just like my spouse. He likes to veg after a long day, and that white background noise, which infuriates me, soothes him. Me, I prefer music.

I don't think that *all* people who watch the boobtube are disassociated, dependent or numbing their minds. But sometimes I do get this feeling that watching TV does render a form of inertia, physically and mentally.

About sprawl and city planning:
In Denver there has been a sort of rebirth going on for a few years now. People are returning from the 'burbs to the inner city. But to me it has sort of been a mixed blessing. Along with the gentrification come much higher rents.
A lot of mom and pop places are shutting down, and the chains are moving in.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,408,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
And cell phones should instantly and automatically "disconnect" whenever one comes within 20 feet of another live human being.
Here's a question to ponder.........

Why is it, some people will spend almost 50% of the time they are with you talking on the phone with someone else? Then, when they go see the person they were talking to on the phone, they'll spend 50% of the time with THEM, on the phone with YOU??

I say hang up the phone jack***, save your minutes and talk to the person you're with, lol.

-TT

Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,938,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

Why is it, some people will spend almost 50% of the time they are with you talking on the phone with someone else? Then, when they go see the person they were talking to on the phone, they'll spend 50% of the time with THEM, on the phone with YOU??

-TT
That is a very real behavior.
I think it is an instant gratification/attention span thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or