U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 PM

27 posts, read 155,560 times

Advertisements

I am a certified teacher finishing my Master's in Special Education in June. My husband and I are sick of the cold and snow (pretty to look at, but not fun to get around in ) and are considering moving south to either South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida (very close to the coast, I love being near the ocean). Presently, we live in the mid-hudson valley of New York state. We have also lived on the east end of Long Island. So if you can compare the afore mentioned states to either place I would appreciate it! (How do hurricanes compare in the south to those that reach L.I.? I lived through Gloria and some earlier ones.) I have been reading the forums and I am still confused. Has anyone out there lived in all three states and can give me some type of comparison of the good, the bad, and the ugly? Which would you choose and why?
Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 PM

27 posts, read 160,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushighlanders View Post
I am a certified teacher finishing my Master's in Special Education in June. My husband and I are sick of the cold and snow (pretty to look at, but not fun to get around in ) and are considering moving south to either South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida (very close to the coast, I love being near the ocean). Presently, we live in the mid-hudson valley of New York state. We have also lived on the east end of Long Island. So if you can compare the afore mentioned states to either place I would appreciate it! (How do hurricanes compare in the south to those that reach L.I.? I lived through Gloria and some earlier ones.) I have been reading the forums and I am still confused. Has anyone out there lived in all three states and can give me some type of comparison of the good, the bad, and the ugly? Which would you choose and why?
Thanks all!
I have lived in two of them and visited the third many times. You might want to consider Charleston SC, Savannah GA, and Jacksonville FL. Those would be my picks for cities near the ocean though if you want somethig smaller but with a lot of history you might want to look at the St. Augustine FL area as well. Of the three, I would probably pick Jacksonville myself but everyone has their own preferences.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Default small towns

I have only lived in small towns and really like the low crime and knowing your neighbors of most small towns. St. Augustine was something I was willing to look at because of the nice things I have read, but what about those crazy sink holes? I have really been looking at so many small towns that my eyes are bleary. What about the barrier islands or the Gulf? You hit on all three states, but write nothing specific. What about teacher pay in each state. I hear conflicting things. Saint Mary's. GA?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,436,724 times
Just be aware, if you're going to be near the ocean in the SE, it'll be hurricane prone. If that's not going to be an issue for you, Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC would be good choices. Very beautiful, growing areas. They're affordable if you're away from the ocean a bit. St. Augustine, FL is a very beautiful area. We love visiting there every few years. But a very expensive place to live. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,101,007 times
I didn't try to respond to your post because I know something about my area--Georgia but don't really know much about FL or SC.

GA is a progressive state--many corporations are headquartered in metro Atlanta---Coca Cola, ATT, Home Depot, CNN... Problems are being addressed --traffic in Atlanta is terrible and the metro area is extending in all directions --affecting other regions of the state. Economy is improving.
----To learn more about GA--go here--local Atlanta paper/online --AJC>>>
http://www.ajc.com/

I prefer that to FL (too hot and overdeveloped for me) or SC (more 'Southern'--in general).

~~~~~~~
Perhaps employment should be at the top of your list.

GA DOE/Dept of Education>>>
http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/

~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you really have to research areas of interest personally.

Visit the areas and see for yourself. Spring is peak tourist season in the South--but during February/March off seasons rates are in affect and you should be able to find some reasonable rates.

~~~~

--The barrier islands of GA--'Golden Isles'--Brunswick, St Simons, Jekyll, Sea Island, St Marys---

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-23-2007 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: link

Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM

13,383 posts, read 41,351,747 times
The spouse and I have been researching the same areas. He liked St Augustine but felt it was too touristy.
He has driven through the coastal Carolinas, I was only in on part of the Georgia/northeast Florida trip. He liked Charleston but it was bigger than he'd anticipated. He loved Savannah, but no jobs materialized.
We have pretty much settled on Amelia Island near Jax (not far from St Mary's, Georgia), though things at this point are still a bit up in the air.
*Supposedly* there is less chance of a hurricane at Jacksonville, but no matter where you live in the southeast coast of the USA, you have to be prepared for that kind of weather.
I think teacher pay is not great, but one thing about northeast Florida is that there are families there, it's not only retirees, so teaching jobs, if not high-paying, do exist.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,101,007 times
From the GA Forum>>> (Relevant Thread--Savannah)>>>
http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...light=savannah

You can use the 'Search' function to locate other such threads.

There is a poster--'cpowers21' that might be able to answer your questions--she lives in the Savannah area. PM her.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,625,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I didn't try to respond to your post because I know something about my area--Georgia but don't really know much about FL or SC.

GA is a progressive state--many corporations are headquartered in metro Atlanta---Coca Cola, ATT, Home Depot, CNN... Problems are being addressed --traffic in Atlanta is terrible and the metro area is extending in all directions --affecting other regions of the state. Economy is improving.
----To learn more about GA--go here--local Atlanta paper/online --AJC>>>
http://www.ajc.com/

I prefer that to FL (too hot and overdeveloped for me) or SC (more 'Southern'--in general).

There are two distinct Georgias. Atlanta Metro and the rest of Georgia. While Atlanta is progressive, much of the rest of the state has more in common with it's neighbors than it's capitol.

Southern Georgia, like Northern Florida along the Gulf, are mostly rural farming communities, even the big city Valdosta is caught in a bit of a time warp. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Costal Georgia is very much like the low country of South Carolina, wide expanses of saltmarshes with numerous inlets and bays. Fishing is an important industry in Georgia, which support almost 15,000 employees and pays over $225 million a year in wages.

NorthWestern Georgia is heavily involved with textiles (mostly carpet), with over 74% of the US carpet coming from Georgia. The industry has an annual payroll over over $2.5 billion and ther are over 700 textile employers, making the industry Georgia's largest manufacturing employer.

NorthEastern Georgia, along the SC and Tennessee borders, is a recreational wonderland with mountains, lakes and rivers galore. "Deliverance" may have killed the tourism industry in the 70's but it's making a good comeback.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM

3,359 posts, read 11,068,530 times
I personally liked the southern suburbs of Savannah. The city itself is smaller, historical, charming with lots of parks and cobblestone streets downtown, picturesque. Charleston is a large city which hosts big cultural events in the winter. Some of it's suburbs are nice. Closer to a Long Island type spread than Savannah is. Myrtle Beach is interesting and fun in that it has miles of beach, plenty of new shopping, and family oriented touristy things to do, loads of golf courses. And long piers that go out into the ocean. The southern section near 'Surfside' is more upscale and my preference. They also have cheap flights from there to NYC.

Jacksonville is pretty big too. Many, many modern corp entities. St Augustine is touristy but has terrific downtown cute little shops in an historical setting and a short drive from events in Jacksonville. It's the smallest I've mentioned so far.

The Melbourne area of Fl is another favorite with things to do and see. A huge flea market which is a big thing in Fl. It's geographically long, N to S, and encompasses several towns. There's lots of engineering jobs there, mostly govt type, space program, and so the area is somewhat different than many places. The nearest cheap airport is in Orlando, a hour away, though they do have one in Melbourne. Vero Beach gives the feeling of a small place as the downtown is smaller, banks and a few shops. It's an upscale place that is relatively quiet. Probably more NY'ers there.

Teacher pay is not great in the south. I believe Georgia is better than SC and homes were still affordable near Savannah last I was there two years ago. Melbourne is large enough that you should be able to find a condo. The schools appeared to be more substantial if you can tell anything from looking at the outside. Don't know how much you'll see this but kids in the south are brought up to say, 'sir' and ma'am'. Quite different than the north.

Savannah has a leading college in the arts called the Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD). Melbourne has FIT an engineering school.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-01-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Not too far north...

These replies are all great! Keep any info coming...especially about the comparisons of each state.
Doesn't it get cold in Myrtle Beach? As for Savannah, I have not ever lived in a big city, nor do I think I want to (crime, traffic, etc.), but it would be okay to live in a house in the 'burbs' (I have never lived in an apartment/condo, so I do not know what that is like. It seems a little too close for comfort. Is it?). I have been to Roswell, Ga and I thought the community that I went to was pretty. It looked too expensive for a teacher though, and they had just had some tornadic weather the night before we came. I would rather deal with hurricanes. At least I know what to expect since living through them on Long Island. My parent's house is about a 10 minute drive to the ocean (@ 5 minutes as the crow flies) and I have never experienced a storm surge, but what I have experienced with hurricanes has been no big deal: lots of wind, a few trees break, you lose a few loose shingles, then you clean up. It is always more sensationalized on the news then it really is to live. (I love to see the Weather Channel, though it will always be my favorite channel, show a large piece of aluminum roofing flying around...it's aluminum for gosh sakes! It's gonna' fly around!) Are hurricanes in Florida, etc. different than what I might have experienced on Long Island, New York? I like to be near the ocean and its summer breezes! Staying in Indian Rocks Beach on the Gulf was nice, but I thought it seemed too built up. The beaches in Southampton, LI, NY do not have that kind of build up. There are mansions dotting the beach, but not condos nor even small houses for that matter. I think they are crazy for building homes right on the beach (too much damage after storms). A few blocks off doesn't seem too bad though. Probably too expensive. I thought maybe north of Clearwater might be better. What d'ya' think?
I read that there are no bridges to the barrier islands/beaches in Georgia. True? One person wrote that they drive to northern Florida to go to a beach! And what about flooding when you live near the ocean in those states? I worry about the elevation of the surrounding areas. In Southampton we did not seem to have the flooding that other places I have seen in the news have (Titusville? in Fl.).
I did read a good article about the revamping of Wilmington, NC, but doesn't it get cold there too? I want to be able to go to the beach or swim in a pool most of the year.
I dunno' maybe I will begin to hate what I seem to love now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or