Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Well, those people have bad taste. Maybe they'll move to LA, after all, the grass is greener on the other side or as I'm about to say, the grass is greener in the suburbs.
Weren't you the one saying you call LA our second home???? You seriously need to let it go and just accept the fact that not everyone likes NYC.

Lots of people go there with big expectations and when they get there, it's not anything they imagined. I've heard one woman say there was nothing interesting there except tall buildings.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,400,547 times
Quote:
the grass is greener in the suburbs.
Apparently! Over 50% of Americans live in suburbs so they must like something about it. Perhaps the grass really is greener???

Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM

705 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Well, those people have bad taste. Maybe they'll move to LA, after all, the grass is greener on the other side or as I'm about to say, the grass is greener in the suburbs.
How about Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Jacksonville or Memphis?

They have really nice grass too

Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Weren't you the one saying you call LA our second home???? You seriously need to let it go and just accept the fact that not everyone likes NYC.

Lots of people go there with big expectations and when they get there, it's not anything they imagined. I've heard one woman say there was nothing interesting there except tall buildings.
Yeah, I did say that... When I was stupid. Now that I've been here for a long time and understand the world more, my brain finally started to work. You got a problem with that? Philly is my second home. We own a home in Jenkintown, PA now.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 PM

55 posts, read 47,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
The fact that their is over 8 Million people living in this city is why it's so unaffordable. Not becuase the rich and intellectual want to live there; if so then most celebs would live in N.Y. rather than L.A. Lets not forget that young professionals don't all want to live in N.Y.C. but are driven to many different cities in the nation and world. NYC is just an urban metropolis and thats what attracts most people. The question that NYC is the greatest city in the world is very opinion based rather than actual fact lets not forget that.

IMO, any city that is affordable can be a Great City.
1. There are way more rich and intellectual people in NYC than any other American city.

2. I actually read that New York is the #1 city in terms of drawing young professionals.

3. Why would a celebrity who works on the other side of the country live in New York (even though ironically half of them do)?

I'm not even from New York but to me, New York IS the best city in the world. I've been to Paris, London, Tokyo, Rome, Amsterdam, Hong Kong and nothing matches NYC and its vibrancy. It's a fabulous city!!!

The best (in order) are: New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, Rome.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Yeah, I did say that... When I was stupid. Now that I've been here for a long time and understand the world more, my brain finally started to work. You got a problem with that? Philly is my second home. We own a home in Jenkintown, PA now.
So your calling anyone who dosen't live in NYC stupid???

Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 AM

263 posts, read 796,132 times
Nooo, he's saying he's stupid, or still is. Read him for almost a year now. Not substantial.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Apparently! Over 50% of Americans live in suburbs so they must like something about it. Perhaps the grass really is greener???
ABQ suburbs arent so green,.. my grass is green.. others mostly xeriscape

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 AM

263 posts, read 796,132 times
I have to tell ya, this is quite the topic! Since I've run into it before I'll let you in on a secret: New York is not the greatest city in the world right now. There was a time right after the war, for a few years when this may have been true, but it's all subjective. A poster here says "What other city can come close?", and then lists a number of attributes. I'm in Los Angeles, and despite our relative dearth of skyscrapers we come pretty close. Surpassing actually, in some catagories. I don't even consider New York great, or even 'big'! The Gross Metropolitan Product argument has been brought up before concerning global hierarchy; this lists Tokyo, New York and Los Angeles in that order, but that's only one way to gage. New York has 5000 buildings that can be described as 'significant', while only one 10th as many for Los Angeles. Yet L. A. is more internationally influential, and ethnically more diverse! So, what to do? Well, we can continue to compare over and over. The strength of buildings, (as one poster laughingly put it!) the weather or topography, (which is basically why San Diegans refer to themselves as the finest) or financial or cultural output. Financial and cultural capability or influence are currently split on the coasts. However, when you factor this into the world stage, London comes out on top financially speaking. The influence of the upcoming Olympics certainly puts them in a furthur higher light. As for referring to oneself as the greatest or the center of everything, L. A. can easily do that too. We just aren't as desperate about it as our older Aunt, New York. The examples of this range from the clothing worn like advertisements with the constant mention of "New York", to the people who move elsewhere and still try to monopolize conversations with "New York" anecdotes, to the ridiculous Mayor stating on a recent Cancer telethon that the city is an 8.3 million proud, (8.2, more like it!) It's embarassing! I'm not the only one who doesn't fully commiserate with this motormouthed tribe anymore. I used to, around 9/11, but that was back before they started comparing themselves favorably to the rest of us who were trying to help them back on their feet.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,102,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

She must be pretty dumb because if all you see is tall buildings you would have to be very ignorant. There is way more to NY than what people perceive it as. This shows how illiterate people are outside of ny. How are you going to say its just tall buildings when there is an official guide giving you thousands of things to see and visit and those are mostly tourist attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.