U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypa76 View Post
Pittsburgh, PA is gay friendly......Shadyside, Friendship, and Squirrel Hill neighborhoods have many gay people. Very cool city.
The setting for the show ***** As Folk, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,563,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The setting for the show ***** As Folk, no?
Yes, the series was "set" there, centering on Liberty Avenue; but the show was actually filmed in Toronto, Canada.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
When I think of "gay friendly" I think of the traditional California, Washington, Oregon, New England, etc.

Are there any states/areas that you wouldn't think of as the norm gay friendly? Just an example: Maybe Des Moines, IA is gay friendly and I don't know it. Maybe Portland, OR isn't that gay friendly.

Any offbeat suggestions? I ask this because stereotypical gay friendly areas are hugely expensive. Why do gay people drive up prices, anyway?
Yep. Oregon, especially Portland is pretty gay-friendly. Portland is the largest city in the U.S. to elect an openly gay mayor. Not a big surprise there.

I've heard Seattle (and most of Western Washington in general) is the most gay-friendly place in the country. The gay community is just really integrated with the general population. Your sexual orientation is just another fact about you there, not what defines you. You're a person who happens to be ____ (straight/gay/bi/lesbian/trans...).

Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM

56,515 posts, read 80,824,285 times
In Upstate NY, Ithaca, Plattsburgh(had openly gay mayor that was a Republican, no less), the Park ave. area of Rochester, Hawley-Green and Westcott neighborhoods in Syracuse, Lark St. area of Albany and the Elmwood and Allentown neighborhoods in Buffalo. I would suspect New Paltz and Oneonta as well.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
I'd say go anywhere that the education level of adults is significantly higher than the national norms.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,927 times
In this order: San Fran., DC, Seattle, Boston, Portland.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,435,983 times
Go to NYC. In NYC we have many types of different people Also in Atlanta I think is very friendly.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM

160 posts, read 508,955 times
Default Salt Lake City. Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In Upstate NY, Ithaca, Plattsburgh(had openly gay mayor that was a Republican, no less),
Another surprise: Utah's capital: Deseret News | Travel book to highlight Salt Lake as 'gay-friendly place to live'

Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,300,634 times
Dallas is very cool with the gays, being gay myself I can attest to that. To be honest I've never had any hostility (at least that I know) directed towards me for being gay. Here's a cool article that was featured in Time magazine about the gay community in Dallas. The article is a few years old at this point.

The Lavender Heart of Texas - TIME

I think pretty much in this day in age though in our country, any major city or major metro area will be pretty accepting. Even smaller areas have had more exposure, so they at least have an understanding of what homosexuality is. I think that's one of the issues we at times suffer from as humans. Without opening your mind and having an understanding of someone else's life, hate and intolerance can proliferate. Not to say you have to agree and fall in line with anyone's life, but at least give consideration.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
I would say that Dallas is gay friendly. Of all the major cities, Dallas has some of the most gay ammenities.

The Metroplex has the Largest Gay community in the State:
Gay Dallas Guide - Gay Bars & Clubs, Hotels, Reviews and Maps - GayCities Dallas
http://www.glbtdallas.com/

Dallas has a GLBT resources center:
Home | Resource Center Dallas

A large Gay Pride Parade:
The Alan Ross Texas Freedom Parade - Sunday, Sept. 20
EDGE Dallas :: Dallas Gay Pride 2009

A Gay Newspaper:
Dallas Voice :: The Community Newspaper for Gay and Lesbian Dallas

An Alliance:
Dallas Gay and Lesbian Alliance

As well as a huge Gay Neighborhood at Cedar Springs/Oak Lawn, and also gay concentrations in Bishop Arts, Cedars, and Knox-Henderson.

Even the Mayor of Dallas is trying to attract more Gay people. Dallas has a gay city councilperson and the sheriff of Dallas county is a Latina Lesbian.
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008...y-destination/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or