U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:39 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Last year by an inniative of a relgious group's ballot, Florida voted to ban not just gay marriage, but anything RESEMBLING "marriage" between gays. This is effect ended all domestic partnerships, civil unions, benefits to gay (and unmarried straights) couples, etc. Maybe an individual city and it's inhabitants may be tolerant to gays, but that means nothing when they are treated as second class citizens by the state.

I only voted in this state last year for the Presidential candidate, AND this. What Florida does locally I could care less, buy I HAD to vote against DISCRIMINATION, no matter where it is.

Maybe Florida needs a heavy dose of gays taking their money elsewhere. Other than Calif. I can't think of a state that receives so much revenue from gay people. In Fla between the heavy tourist trade, Property taxes and day to day spending. A ton of that money comes from the many gay residents and tourists. As far as Im concerned when you treat a person poorly and for long enough, eventually they will lash back. As long as gay people are voted on in elections. Voted on as if this segment of the population is something less than appealing, less than equal. This is what you get Florida and California. Gay friendly only to a point and not by its state gov'ts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Maybe Florida needs a heavy dose of gays taking their money elsewhere. Other than Calif. I can't think of a state that receives so much revenue from gay people. In Fla between the heavy tourist trade, Property taxes and day to day spending. A ton of that money comes from the many gay residents and tourists. As far as Im concerned when you treat a person poorly and for long enough, eventually they will lash back. As long as gay people are voted on in elections. Voted on as if this segment of the population is something less than appealing, less than equal. This is what you get Florida and California. Gay friendly only to a point and not by its state gov'ts.
The gay rights groups tried that threat during the ballot campaign. The groups even tried a threat saying that the measure would strip unmarried seniors of benefits. If you can't get through by threatining seniors in Florida, nothing will work.

The measure still passed in 66 of 67 counties, and is now a Constitutional Amendment. It cannot be overturned by a court, and cannot be overturned by any method other than another ballot initiative that gets 60% of the vote, which will not happen for a long, long time.

Recently a Miami judge ruled a 1970's law in Florida that bans homosexuals from adopting under any circumstances. Rather than let the law die (the only law of it's magnitude in the entire country), the state appealed the ruling....where it will run into the more conservative upper courts in the state and theyw ill most likely overturn the Miami court's ruling.

Florida is not a gay friendly state, and makes no bones about it. Florida does not try pretending to be gay friendly.

There are some enclaves in the South Florida metro, but the only truly "gay friendly" place in the state is Key West. Monroe County (Key West) was the only county in the state to vote against the ban. Even Broward, Dade, and Palm Beach voted for it.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
The gay rights groups tried that threat during the ballot campaign. The groups even tried a threat saying that the measure would strip unmarried seniors of benefits. If you can't get through by threatining seniors in Florida, nothing will work.

The measure still passed in 66 of 67 counties, and is now a Constitutional Amendment. It cannot be overturned by a court, and cannot be overturned by any method other than another ballot initiative that gets 60% of the vote, which will not happen for a long, long time.

Recently a Miami judge ruled a 1970's law in Florida that bans homosexuals from adopting under any circumstances. Rather than let the law die (the only law of it's magnitude in the entire country), the state appealed the ruling....where it will run into the more conservative upper courts in the state and theyw ill most likely overturn the Miami court's ruling.

Florida is not a gay friendly state, and makes no bones about it. Florida does not try pretending to be gay friendly.

There are some enclaves in the South Florida metro, but the only truly "gay friendly" place in the state is Key West. Monroe County (Key West) was the only county in the state to vote against the ban. Even Broward, Dade, and Palm Beach voted for it.
It doesn't surprise me. I once spent some time in recent years in the Plant City, Lakeland/Polk Country area. Never in my entire life since the military did I see such homophobia continuoulsy. It was frightening to see how much of it existed with the younger population. It didn't surprise me though, to be that insular in ones life doesn't expose people to much diversity.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I think most cities are what you would call gay friendly. Portland, Oregon definitely has a strong gay community.
Is there really a city that isn't Gay friendly in this bastion of capitalism, the U.S.A.? As long as there's capitalists to exploit people, property and sales tax revenue to be collected, it makes no different if you're Gay or into bestiality. No one is going to be turned away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or