Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times

Advertisements

Are you guys sure about NYC being most integrated?

I found this article..

http://www.tenant.net/tengroup/Metco...egregated.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92
Are you guys sure about NYC being most integrated?

I found this article..

http://www.tenant.net/tengroup/Metco...egregated.html
That's not entirely surprising. I didn't necessarily think that New York was the most residentially integrated city, just that in terms of daily interaction, it's the most integrated as people of various backgrounds (not just racially) are more willing to bump shoulders than they are elsewhere just due to the city's culture and layout.

From what I've read in the past, generally newer cities, those in the Sunbelt for example, or the newer suburbs and exurbs or other cities tend to be the most residentially integrated. Cities in the Northeast and Midwest tend to have a lot of older ethnic neighborhoods that families have lived in for generations that have traditionally been hostile to outsiders, and even if no longer so, that legacy persists and there remains certain neighborhoods in places like New York and Chicago and Boston that people feel as "off limits" to them due to their race, which isn't really the case as much in "newer" cities with less history to them.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,476 times
That Lewis Mumford site has some interesting information. I'm really surprised that Atlanta is fairly integrated, yet some cities that we generally think are well-integrated are the most segregated. New York is a real shocker at #3.

Apparently perception is far from reality in this situation...too many assumptions are made about the level of integration of cities based on region, history, and racial climate. I know that I made assumptions from my knowledge and experience with certain cities and I was way off.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
In your opinion.

We all know, and if you didn't, that Detroit is the most segregated city in the US.
Where are you getting that???
Milwaukee is the most segregated city. Detroit is second.

Here are the rankings according to the 2000 US CENSUS.

Top 10 Most Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Newark
Cincinnati
Buffalo-Niagara Falls
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
(tie) New Orleans and Kansas City

The 10 Least Segregated Cities (in order from one to ten):
Orange County California
San Jose
Norfolk-Virginia Beach
Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater
San Diego
Providence, Fall River, Warwick
Seattle, Bellevue, Everett
San Antonio
Oakland, CA
San Francisco

googlize it!

I can speak for Chicago and say that the city itself is very diverse, but it certainly isn't integrated. It may seem that way when you're downtown by the Sears Tower, or shoping on N. Michigan Ave. But it certainly doesn't seem integrated in Bronzeville (this country's largest ghetto), or Little India (E. Devon), or Humbolt Park. You can almost drawn ethnic lines on a map. Every little neighborhood has different ethnicities that predominate. My neighborhood is dominated by new African immigrants, Eastern Europens immigrants, and a bunch of young college students.

just fyi

Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I am form NY, and NEw York is actually very segegated. There are a lot of tensions that nobody knows about, like between the Italian and Black communities/etc. If you don't believe me, go to Long Island.

I nominate Pembroke Pines, Florida as the most well integrated. This suburban, middle to upper class city has consistent demographics within its ethnic communities. Wealthy communities tend to be split down the line between black, white, hispanic, and asians are starting to become a major presence in the city. The not as wealthy areas seem to have a similar makeup. I honestly think it is the most diverse place I have ever seen in the country (Toronto is the most diverse I have seen), and has some of the fewest racial tensions. I think the lack of tension has to do with the fact that most residents are well educated and economic classes tend to be consistent.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
You guys who said NYC are all wrong. The city is VERY segregated. There are many different ethnic groups located within city limits, but everyone sticks to their own neighborhoods.

If you want intergrated, try Cali.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
You guys who said NYC are all wrong. The city is VERY segregated. There are many different ethnic groups located within city limits, but everyone sticks to their own neighborhoods.

If you want intergrated, try Cali.
Agree completely. Think about the whole Howard Beach fiasco. Every group sort of sticks to thier neighborhood. There is more localized xenophobia present in the boroughs than most think.

Check out suburban Broward County, FL for integrated, too. I have never seen a suburban region with this little tension but so much of a mix after traveling around quite a bit. As I mentioned, I really believe Pembroke Pines is the most integrated city in the country.

California (at least Orange County where I went) is actually somewhat segregated though. Plus there is a LOT of racial tension, at least from what I could see in Orange County. Don't know about other parts of CA.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-15-2007 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 04:30 PM

332 posts, read 449,257 times
I think alot of Texas is intergrated.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
I think alot of Texas is intergrated.
Yeah,the Houston area seemed to be VERY integrated. Dallas, on the other hand, not so much in my (limited) experience.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:53 PM

157 posts, read 675,421 times
I lived in NYC, only Manhattan is really integrated, the surrounding boroughs are very segregated for the most part.

Orange County Cali (where I live now) is not integrated lol...actually very segregated, almost by town. Southern California is pretty much the same way, lot's of racial tension. But there are some areas that are very integrated, Mission Viejo for example.

Winner is : San Francisco and the Bay Area. This is the most sophisticated and accepting of integration out of all the places I have been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.