U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,776,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm shocked Houston was mentioned this late in the thread. Compared to many cities it's size, it's a success story. You can very well live next door to Vietnamese, Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Chinese, etc. etc. all on the same block. It is very diverse and very integrated. You do have a couple hoods that are majority whatever like 3rd ward for Blacks. But those are historical hoods that are being integrated now themselves.
Actually, I would say that Houston's diversity is appropriate for it's size and magnitude (as one of the four multi-million populated cities). San Antonio is the city that has always surprised me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,654,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York has changed since 2000.
New York's population and demographical mix is essentially the same as it was six years ago. There has been no dramatic shifts or changes.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,776,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
New York's population and demographical mix is essentially the same as it was six years ago. There has been no dramatic shifts or changes.
With the exception of 9/11, which brought the whole country together for about five months, and then we went back to our old ways.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,114,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York has changed since 2000.
I disagree. That map I posted is still very accurate of how it is today.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM

606 posts, read 2,780,018 times
Dteroit isn't that segregated especially downtown, that is very intergrated. but I think chicago, no NYC. new york, then chicago, then philadelphia.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 PM

554 posts, read 2,281,734 times
I was looking for this graph...

On the first page of this thread, check out the post Hustla718 posted. It has a chart of the most / least segregated areas of the country. Detroit is first.

Looking for my perfect city...

Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,114,082 times
Here is more information:

Quote:
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000
Filed Under Sociology, Black/African American Issues, Original Essays and Analysis, Race and Racism, Uncategorized by Rachel
Update 2: I see that many people are coming here who are not regular readers of this site. This post is a follow-up to an earlier post, you can look at this post from a few days ago where I discuss the different dimensions of residential segregation. That post discusses a few of the methodological issues, and it links to the Census Bureau report where the data comes from. So if you are confused about the differences, between clustering and exposure (for example), you can get more information from that post. If you link to the actual Census report, they show statistical formulas that are used in calculating segregation using each method described. They also discuss other issues related to measuring segregation.

You should also keep in mind this is only measuring segregation for Blacks, and it’s only measuring urban segregation. I am preparing future posts Asians, Latinos and Native Americans.

Update #1: I had to change the title of the post because I forgot to put up the least segregated cities.

All data comes from the US Census Bureau

5 Least Even Metro Areas (cities where blacks are least evenly spread; the number is the percent of people who would have to move for the group to be evenly distributed across the metro area)

Detroit
Milwaukee
New York
Newark
Chicago
5 Lowest Exposure Metros (cities where blacks have lowest chance of having contact with non-blacks)

New York
Detroit
Miami
Newark
Chicago
5 Most Concentrated Metros (cities where blacks are most densely concentrated/least spread throughout the metro area)

Milwaukee
Newark
Riverside-San Bernardino (CA)
Phoenix-Mesa
Cincinnati
5 Most Centralized Cities (cities where blacks are closest to the central core of the city)

Minneapolis
Portland
Denver
Cincinnati
Phoenix-Mesa
5 Most Clustered Cities

Detroit
Newark
Chicago
Philadelphia
Cleveland
Overall Most Segregated (Averaging ranks for all 5 major dimensions) Drumroll…..

Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland
St. Louis
Newark
Cincinnati
Buffalo-Niagara Falls
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
(tie) New Orleans and Kansas City
Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern

Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 AM

430 posts, read 1,283,195 times
New york is very diverse, but it is also very segregated. Sacramento I have read somewhere is the most well integrated large city in the country. It is truly quite racially integrated, but is no more economically integrated than average. It, slums just have more low income whites than average, and it's more affluent arias within the city itself are diverse. Sacramento has a lot of affluent as well as working class suburbs that are not very diverse. But elk grove is both affluent and extremely diverse, with mostly new housing. There are also some very diverse, but badly declining older suburbs, like south Sacramento, florin, parts of north highlands, older parts of west Sacramento etc...

Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
That Lewis Mumford site has some interesting information. I'm really surprised that Atlanta is fairly integrated, yet some cities that we generally think are well-integrated are the most segregated. New York is a real shocker at #3.
Actually, the city of Atlanta itself is highly segregated according to the Mumford site, -but the metro areas as a whole much less so. But actualy nearly all metro arias with sizable black population, including in the south, are actualy more segregated then integrated residentially between blacks and whites. They still have an index of dissimilarity over 50. (100 is complete segregation, while 0 is complete integration)

-I believe Greenville North Carolina, if I remember right, has the lowest black-white dissimilarity index. But it is just barley a metro area, more like a small town.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
Dteroit isn't that segregated especially downtown, that is very intergrated. but I think chicago, no NYC. new york, then chicago, then philadelphia.
-False. The detroit metro area as a whole, is the most segregated for blacks in the country. -Emil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or