U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Mr. Bates is just baiting us!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,409,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
These Once Great Cities Are Headed In A Downward Spiral With No Chance Of Recovery. There Is Little Question These Cities Have Suffered Economic Erosion During The Last Quarter Century.no Single Indicator Captures The Decline Of These Cities More Directly Then Population ,As Americans Vote With Their Feet Against These Areas ' Destructive Economic Policies And Social Policies. Over The Last 5 Years The Above Amentioned Cities Have Lost Approx. 7 To 8 Million Natives Who Have Migrated Outbound, This Continous Exodus Is Happening Now And Is Being Severly Under-reported By The Media. This Large Exodus Is Happening For Multiple Reasons, Please Share Your Ideas On Why.
It's probably not being "under reported" because many of those people leaving STILL technically work there. Millions of white collar workers are now working from their spare bedroom these days. Their work address is still in the major city, but they SIT at home. I'm one of them.
Then there are others who either cannot afford it, or it's simple "white flight". Everything goes in cycles. Back in the 50's there was a surge in this type of behavior as well. It will calm down, and people will move back.

Thats just human nature. People will get bored of the small town life, and move into the city. They'll get bored of the city life, and move to the country. That's what keeps the RE market moving too

-TT

Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,478,339 times
Default why

why does Tom Bates Type in First Letter CAPITOLS?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM

364 posts, read 397,617 times
I would like it would be harder to type in all caps. I am just used to doing it the right way.

Strange post....

Old 02-04-2007, 04:32 AM

57 posts, read 147,207 times
Social infrastructure built for x amount of people when only y-number of people are around to pay taxes for it. People who leave big cities are ones that can, people with resources to relocate or the brains to have found opportunies elsewhere and the energy to pursue them. People with insight
and common sense are doing this at a rate that is faster then anytime in hx.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:18 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,876,071 times
Are you insinuating that people who live in cities only do so because they don't have the brains or resources to leave them? That is absurd. A lot of people actually enjoy living in large cities, even when they could live elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:27 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,927,671 times
Yes, he is more than insinuating that city folk are plum dumb!

And, you and I know we are smarter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Are you insinuating that people who live in cities only do so because they don't have the brains or resources to leave them? That is absurd. A lot of people actually enjoy living in large cities, even when they could live elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 12,921 times
Default North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
These Once Great Cities Are Headed In A Downward Spiral With No Chance Of Recovery. There Is Little Question These Cities Have Suffered Economic Erosion During The Last Quarter Century.no Single Indicator Captures The Decline Of These Cities More Directly Then Population ,As Americans Vote With Their Feet Against These Areas ' Destructive Economic Policies And Social Policies. Over The Last 5 Years The Above Amentioned Cities Have Lost Approx. 7 To 8 Million Natives Who Have Migrated Outbound, This Continous Exodus Is Happening Now And Is Being Severly Under-reported By The Media. This Large Exodus Is Happening For Multiple Reasons, Please Share Your Ideas On Why.

I can believe what you are saying. I think all the residents exiting these cities are moving to North Carolina.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,947,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I lived in a city of 2 million for 20-odd years and enjoyed all it had to offer.
But many of the younger folks, when it came time to raise a family, could not afford to buy there--so they moved to the 'burbs. Not so much because they wanted to, but because it was more affordable.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,876,071 times
cil -- understandable. I'm in my mid-30's (and have lived in Chicago proper since I was 18, with a short exception for a couple of years away for college) and will probably have to make a similar decision someday if I have kids (if I don't, I'm staying in an urban area, perhaps not this one, but either this one or one of the big cities on the east coast, period, even if it means I don't buy a house). However, bates post did not insinuate that at all. I know plenty of people who would actually prefer to live in an urban area, but issues of cost and quality of school systems for their children prevent this from happening. If cities really want to revitalize their populations, they ought to focus on fixing the schools, that is what, in my opinion, really drives people, the sort of community orientated grounded people who can stabilize a neighborhood for years, away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or