U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times

Advertisements

Um. Still pretty nuts.

Why'd we wake up this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,771,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
These Once Great Cities Are Headed In A Downward Spiral With No Chance Of Recovery. There Is Little Question These Cities Have Suffered Economic Erosion During The Last Quarter Century.no Single Indicator Captures The Decline Of These Cities More Directly Then Population ,As Americans Vote With Their Feet Against These Areas ' Destructive Economic Policies And Social Policies. Over The Last 5 Years The Above Amentioned Cities Have Lost Approx. 7 To 8 Million Natives Who Have Migrated Outbound, This Continous Exodus Is Happening Now And Is Being Severly Under-reported By The Media. This Large Exodus Is Happening For Multiple Reasons, Please Share Your Ideas On Why.
Is this post a joke, or is this serious? If serious, no, I don't think any of this is happening on a "mass-exodus" level. Some cities have worse economies than others, and people come and go regularly. I think some cities such as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Detroit have to redraw their city boundaries and tear down some houses. In some pockets, they may have to create new parks. Detroit will suffer the biggest population loss overall. Their population (city) will be below 700,000 by 2020--a loss of 1.1 million people over 70 years' time. A true shrinking city.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,771,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
why does Tom Bates Type in First Letter CAPITOLS?
"CAPITALS." lol, sorry...some words typed incorrectly get me in "edit mode."

Old 10-02-2008, 01:10 AM

323 posts, read 426,711 times
Default This guy is a prophet

How did he know

Quote:
These Once Great Cities Are Headed In A Downward Spiral With No Chance Of Recovery. There Is Little Question These Cities Have Suffered Economic Erosion During The Last Quarter Century.no Single Indicator Captures The Decline Of These Cities More Directly Then Population ,As Americans Vote With Their Feet Against These Areas ' Destructive Economic Policies And Social Policies. Over The Last 5 Years The Above Amentioned Cities Have Lost Approx. 7 To 8 Million Natives Who Have Migrated Outbound, This Continous Exodus Is Happening Now And Is Being Severly Under-reported By The Media. This Large Exodus Is Happening For Multiple Reasons, Please Share Your Ideas On Why.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Still looking better then ever?

[I guess he wasn't kidding.

QUOTE=Sgoldie;330936]You're kidding, right? I haven't been to any of the other cities recently but NYC is looking better than ever. Certainly night and day from when I lived there 30 years ago.

What premise is it you're basing your conclusion on?[/quote]

Old 10-02-2008, 04:53 AM

204 posts, read 670,626 times
Who brought this thread from spring back?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
How did he know

Know what? Are you high? I'm assuming just drunk...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,985,405 times
This is the downside of the internet. Everyone can be a "author" without out being fact checked.This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. The OP is obviously not thinking, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You're kidding, right? I haven't been to any of the other cities recently but NYC is looking better than ever. Certainly night and day from when I lived there 30 years ago.

What premise is it you're basing your conclusion on?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Happening faster then you thought

Quote:
My god, look at the shape California is in.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,948,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
How did he know
NYC already went through that in the '70s, but was able to get back on its feet.

I really don't see NY, Boston, or Chicago being "doomed". L.A., OTOH, does have some serious issues with its lack of a public transportation infrastructure. I don't see the areas NEAR the Metro getting worse (even some areas that are pretty bad now will probably improve due to the proximity of public transport) but I could easily picture SOME areas (not all) that are far removed from rail going to ****. I don't think this will occur to the beach cities but it's easy to picture areas like Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Northridge, or Chatsworth going the way of Van Nuys, Panorama City, Sun Valley, North Hills, and Canoga Park due to their remoteness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or