U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The cities of Boston and Chicago have been losing populations for decades, NYC has gained population but thats mainly due to an influx of immigrants of a lower socio economic sector who eventually end up in PA(Thanks gang, appreciate it).

The downtown areas of the big cities are doing very well,but the neighborhoods continue to age , deteriorate, and pull in a socio economic group that leaves alot to be desired.

OP has a point. Population is overrated, its the quality of population a city should strive for and that quality continues to push further and further out into the suburbs
The last three decades have seen a population increase in Boston. Look it up.
The population decreased in Boston from a high of 800,00 in 1950 to 562,000 in 1980. All of those small apartments in Boston were where all the big Irish, Jewish and Italian families were raised. You had 2 bedroom apartments with 6 to 12 children crammed into them. Now those same apartments have families with 1 to 3 children and sometimes no children.
That is what caused population losses in cities like Chicago and Boston.

This year was the first in nearly forty years that showed "white flight" had actually reversed in many major cities in the country, including Boston.

Last edited by TomDot; 12-12-2008 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
The cities of Boston and Chicago have been losing populations for decades, NYC has gained population but thats mainly due to an influx of immigrants of a lower socio economic sector who eventually end up in PA(Thanks gang, appreciate it).

The downtown areas of the big cities are doing very well,but the neighborhoods continue to age , deteriorate, and pull in a socio economic group that leaves alot to be desired.

OP has a point. Population is overrated, its the quality of population a city should strive for and that quality continues to push further and further out into the suburbs
Have you been to these cities??? Boston has been growing in population since the 1980's, and Chicago gained over 110,000 people during the 90's.

The downtown areas of these cities are doing very well, but I'm confused why you state the neighborhoods of these cities are deteriorating and pulling in poor people.

The neighborhoods of Boston, Chicago, New York, etc are gentrifying at an alarming rate for the residents of these cities. I personally walk by some of the tens of thousands of new condos and buildings that have gone up in Chicago over the past 15 years every day. The wealthy who can afford to live in the city are pushing out all the residents who have been living there for decades.

It's quite the opposite of what you are stating for large swaths of these cities.

There are countless streets like this in Chicago where the old 2-3 story wooden frame houses have ALL been torn down and replaced by these boring 4 condo brick buidings where you have to throw down $350K for a 2 bedroom house with no parking.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-12-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 02:11 PM

668 posts, read 2,084,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Have you been to these cities??? Boston has been growing in population since the 1980's, and Chicago gained over 110,000 people during the 90's.

The downtown areas of these cities are doing very well, but I'm confused why you state the neighborhoods of these cities are deteriorating and pulling in poor people.

The neighborhoods of Boston, Chicago, New York, etc are gentrifying at an alarming rate for the residents of these cities. I personally walk by some of the tens of thousands of new condos and buildings that have gone up in Chicago over the past 15 years every day. The wealthy who can afford to live in the city are pushing out all the residents who have been living there for decades.

It's quite the opposite of what you are stating for large swaths of these cities.

There are countless streets like this in Chicago where the old 2-3 story wooden frame houses have ALL been torn down and replaced by these boring 4 condo brick buidings where you have to throw down $350K for a 2 bedroom house with no parking.

Yeah every neighborhood is starting to look the same, it sucks. I heard the same thing is happening over in NYC. While Chicago is not anywhere near on the verge of going broke, like the OP saying, and actually the opposite is happening, I will say that gentrification sucks and is destroying the city its own way.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:

You're gonna have to hook me up with whatever it is your smoking. Must be some potent stuff.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,739,996 times
Cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco will always be power houses in the US. Look at the building growth that is occuring in these cities even during a recession. The day these cities fall the whole US would be doomed.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:15 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,519,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The last three decades have seen a population increase in Boston. Look it up.
The population decreased in Boston from a high of 800,00 in 1950 to 562,000 in 1980. All of those small apartments in Boston were where all the big Irish, Jewish and Italian families were raised. You had 2 bedroom apartments with 6 to 12 children crammed into them. Now those same apartments have families with 1 to 3 children and sometimes no children.
That is what caused population losses in cities like Chicago and Boston.
Just stop.

Bostons population has increased 26,000 in the past 30 years, thats a very modest 866 people a year. And if it wasnt for minority immigration in cities like Boston,Chi,NYC the population declines would still be rampant. The Irish families aren't downsizing they continue to move out to Mendon,Bolton and Upton being replaced by minorities. To Bostons defense they are an exception as their crop of minority influx is well above avg educationally and economically compared to the rest of the country.

Bottom line foreign immigration is whats fueling the big city's populations.

Lets try and keep it real here. Chicago is still down 725,000 people from their all time population high and their demographics have gone from 90% white to 40% over the past 60 years.

I dont have the doom and gloom scenario of cities that the OP does but you guys are getting carried away with all this incredible gentrification. Just because population is increasing doesnt necessarily mean wealth is increasing.

Urban bloat: How Immigration Fuels Population Growth
http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...h_researchc5f6

Last edited by rainrock; 12-12-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I personally walk by some of the tens of thousands of new condos and buildings that have gone up in Chicago over the past 15 years every day. The wealthy who can afford to live in the city are pushing out all the residents who have been living there for decades.
You are talking about only 1%-2% of Chicago. Theres more to Chicago than downtown. The city on the whole continues to age, has problems with public schools,crime. Lets be realistic the big older cities are going to be a tough nut to crack, and this economy may setback the progress 10 years.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Yeah every neighborhood is starting to look the same, it sucks. I heard the same thing is happening over in NYC. While Chicago is not anywhere near on the verge of going broke, like the OP saying, and actually the opposite is happening, I will say that gentrification sucks and is destroying the city its own way.
3 M people in Chicago, can you give me an estimate of all this gentrification on a % basis that is happening? Is 100% of the city being gentrified, 50%,25%,12.5%,5%, 2%. How much of Chicago is really being gentrified? You aren't being overly dramatic concerning all of this gentrification are you?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
3 M people in Chicago, can you give me an estimate of all this gentrification on a % basis that is happening? Is 100% of the city being gentrified, 50%,25%,12.5%,5%, 2%. How much of Chicago is really being gentrified? You aren't being overly dramatic concerning all of this gentrification are you?
No I'm not being overdramatic. I don't know where to look it up, but I can tell u that from growing up in Chicago my whole life that there are way more nice neighborhoods than bad ones, as oppossed to how it was in the 90's. Literally just about every ghetto neighborhood has seen an increase in yuppies/hispters living there in addition to tons of rennovation in these neighborhoods. Even in the hispanic neighborhoods, which according to ur logic should be flooded and over populated right now, when it's actually the exact opposite. The only places I would exclude from this are certain pockets on the deep west and south sides of Chicago. But literally just about every neighborhood now looks identical to the pictures Chicago60614 posted above. If I had to throw a percentage out there, I'd 65%-75% is now nice. You'd of have to grow up here to be able to see for yourself. Trust me, Chicago isn't going down hill any time soon, in fact, if anything, it's going up.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 AM

263 posts, read 732,674 times
What a waste! Everything looks the same. Do you HAVE to lock up all your plants because it gets so cold you're afraid they'll run away otherwise? ..losercities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or