Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Just to add...I don't think I'd pin any distinctive look on Scots-Irish ancestry though since that's also quite prevalent across central and western PA as well as western NY. In fact...if your family has been here since around the revolution, you probably have some bit of Scots-Irish ancestry, even if you're African-American.

The more I study genealogy, the more convinced I am there are lots of us who are related!
RE: PA and WNY, perhaps there are lots of Scots-Irish there, but since the early 1800s, lots of Irish have settled there, since the 1860s lots of Germans, and since the 1890s, lots of Poles and Italians. So compared to the southern Appalachians and the Piedmont where few European immigrants settled in the 1800s, the Scots-Irish presence has been greatly diluted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
I find this to be an interesting thread... From my own personal experience I've noticed some totally unrelated people (but not all of the people) I've met from the South have a certain look about them. Same with Australians and even Mainers. Australians probably the most.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Default North Louisiana, center of the deep South

I see many people everyday of Scot-Irish ancestry. Most are I see around here are brunette hair color, brown or blue eyes, rather well built (even if they are tall), basically handsome and the women are pretty. I don't know how many southerners really and truly know their ancestry unless they have old bibles it is written in. I don't see many redheads or blonds at all in this neck of the woods, or auburn colored hair. Anywhere in lousiiana, even the northern part, there may be some French ancestry and some American Indian as well. Some people call themselves Scottish, Scotch-Irish, Irish, Welsh, etc. I don't even know my own lineage except my Dad was from Ohio and I have a good bit German ancestry.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I'm southern and my bloodlines break down to about 50% Scotch-Irish, 25% German and 25% French.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Stormcrow talking about appearances in Appalachia, said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
These are pretty distinctive features in my family and most people I've talked to claim the high cheekbones and eyes are evidence of Cherokee heritage. I'm currently of the opinion this is bunk but I can neither prove nor disprove it.
It's not "bunk". I grew up in central West Virginia, the heart of Appalachia. The valley I grew up in had a large number of people who came from Native American ancestry, tossed in with a few Scotch-Irish and Germans who migrated from other more remote valleys in the state.

My Great-Grandfather was Iroquois - here is his photo...

My Father (his Grandson) likewise, shows the physical characteristics, with some baby fat since this photo was of him in 1938 when he was 8 years old...

These are small crops from VERY old (1930s photos) that have been enlarged, hence their crappy quality - sorry.

Now, West Virginians typically do not consider themselves to be "Southern" and many shun that label, as we are Appalachian - not Northern OR Southern. Still, in the region of the state that I'm from, the above looks are very common to see among the populace. Very common, actually. I never saw a red headed person and only a handful of blonds before I moved to Atlanta. If you travel to other valleys in WV though, you stumble across areas that were settled by Germans, as well as Polish - and you DO see a difference in the people's physical appearances in those areas.

So nope - not bunk at all.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
{Removed by moderator}.
Hmm, and this thread WAS such a thoughtful discussion.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-02-2008 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Hmm, and this thread WAS such a thoughtful discussion.
It was - and will remain that way.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It was - and will remain that way.
Apparently so. Good to see such attention. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
You drive thru cities looking at people and make assumptions such as these, about as silly as another posting that read germans tend to be a little more "stocky" and hold weight in different ways than other backgrounds.

But wait aren't you the one that stated almost everyone is fat especially if they are over 30 years old.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 AM

50 posts, read 106,434 times
But goddamnnnnnnnnnnnnn those southern girls are cuteeeee .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.