Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Great googly-moogly what even is this thread?

I'm of predominantly Scottish and Irish ancestry and I grew up in the Alleghenies (central Appalachian foothills) and guess what? I was born in the north. SHOCK AND AWE

I mean... really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Hold on is she named Tammy?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
During the trail of tears NA families would sometimes leave their lighter skinned children to be adopted by white neighbors. That could be why you see NA features and an anglo family tree.

I can look at my neighbors and see Cherokee features in 1/4 to 1/3 of them. "Pure" Scotch - Irish are pretty distinctive.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
All I can tell you is that my DNA test shows me to be about 95 percent "northern European" with about 65 percent of that haling from what is now the UK and most of the rest of it from the Scandinavian countries - and while I've got very light skin, I have very dark, coarse hair, very dark eyes, a pug nose and full lips. The other 5 percent or so is "French/German." People have always thought we had "Indian" blood or "gypsy" blood or something like that but nope - nothing but Anglo Saxon and possibly some Celtic in these veins.

My family has lived in the American South since the 1640s.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
This thread is like the graveyard for banned members.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:10 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Not yet, the term Scots/Irish, means ( as Americans of this mix should know, I don't think most do!!) are the people of Northern England ( Westmoreland, Northumbria, Lancashire) and southern Scotland ( Galloway, Berwick ( at that time) and Ayreshire) who were planted, sent, to Northern Ireland by a Protestant Scottish King, James, to transplant native Irish Catholics. ( I blame Ann Boleyn). That is common knowledge. The term Scotch Irish should be Northern British-Irish.
Again, the Romans built a wall between what is now Scotland and England, ( even though Hadrian`s wall is in England fully) these people were known as Borderers ( for you Kathryn) I am sure you know were the toughest lot around ( hence being sent to another tough place-Ireland) The ones who ended up in America were..... resourceful, er.. and very, very tough

Old 12-12-2015, 01:17 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
Being English means though you are probably 75% Celtic and only 25% Anglo/Viking/Saxon/Norman/Roman ect: hope that doesn't disappoint anyone. We of the British Isles are more similar than unfamiliar, we don't look German or Dutch

Old 12-12-2015, 02:58 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
elvis had darker hair and olive skin than most italian americans? seems pretty varied across the region

tons of blondes in florida and texas, wasnt a blonde like britney spears from louisiana or texas?
Elvis did not naturally have black hair. He dyed it black in effort to make himself look more exotic.

A lot of the blondes in any Sunbelt city are fake bottle blondes. Although a lot of blondes from up North will move to the Sunbelt cities.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryninaygr View Post
I think it is interesting that many people discount the fact that as early Americans, especially in the south most of the people were very mixed despite the racial segregation. I know many other American Indians who are black-Curly hair and the whole nine yards, but are native. I also know that many southerners had many children with the slaves out of wedlock, who through many generations integrated into mainstream "white" culture. (Did you ever notice that blacks of American almost never closely resemble any particular facial trait from their African ancestors). Likewise, I am American Indian, but have fair skin, and green eyes.
Many of the "undesirables"-namely workers immigrating from Ireland, and Scotland intermarried with the natives because they were on the same social "rung" of the ladder. It is almost impossible to say that any trait is inherent solely through the facial features in such a diverse setting, until you consider the fact that many families were almost completely isolated from the rest of the country, and often married close relatives.
There were a lot of mixed people, but not as many half-Amerindians as people claim. The Cherokee tribe had strict anti-miscegenation policies in place for their communities and even whites wouldn't have outmarried at such a high rate. I just don't believe a good chunk of whites who keep saying they have 1/50th CHerokee princess blood or something. And they always say Cherokee, because that's the only tribe they know.

What did happen, perhaps even more frequently, was children being born from slave women and white slaveowners. But most of their white-looking descendants to this day probably won't claim their black heritage nor will blacks claim their white heritage, because of the history behind it.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Elvis did not naturally have black hair. He dyed it black in effort to make himself look more exotic.

A lot of the blondes in any Sunbelt city are fake bottle blondes. Although a lot of blondes from up North will move to the Sunbelt cities.
He had very olive skin and had sort of a italian look though

I dont know how many southern women dye their hair blonde but there are tons of southern blondes in gainesville where I went to school and and at the sec games I go to, florida and texas seems to have quite alot but there are tons of attractive women at the football games of all hair colors. I think german and swiss was one of the largest ancestries in texas and florida and maryland and alot of swiss and germans in south carolina and virginia but I would think sunnier climates change appearance after a few generations

I am sure she probably dyed it and I dont know if the carpet matches the drapes with this bayou southern blonde, but I wouldnt care

moderator cut: image removed

the sec has the best looking girls in the country no matter the hair color. attractive women head towards the sun and warm weather and beaches and tans I think

sec sorority girls

Last edited by Marka; 12-28-2015 at 04:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.