Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM

707 posts, read 750,099 times

Advertisements

New Mexico Magazine runs a piece titled One of Our Fifty is Missing, anecdotal stories of New Mexicans and NM itself being mistaken for Mexican nationals.

For those that are unaware, New Mexico became the 48th state in 1912. And yet, some Americans stll think it's part of the nation of México.

I want to know what people in other states think about NM's status as a state. Did you ever think or know someone who thought it was part México? Have you ever even heard of New Mexico? If so, what do you know about it? If not, what is your perception of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
This ought to be interesting. When I moved here from Massachusetts and told my friends and family I was moving here it definitely triggered some arched eyebrows. One of my colleagues on my last day of work said "Good luck in Mexico City!".

Honestly, people who aren't aware of New Mexico's status as a US state probably aren't the sharpest tools in the shed to begin with. Though I pretty sure most people are aware of it. What many don't know is how high in elevation most of the state is. A lot of people thought because I was moving to the desert that Albuquerque has the same climate as Phoenix and mentioned coming to visit in the Winter to warm up. Though its definitely milder and more balmy here than most northern states, winter would not be the time to come here an enjoy the weather.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-11-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
two words ... Breaking Bad

Unfortunately that has become NM identity

Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
New Mexico is the 47th state, Arizona is the 48th. New Mexico was admitted to the Union on January 6th, 1912. Arizona was admitted the following month, on February 14th. Oklahoma was the previous state admitted before New Mexico, in 1907.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:26 PM

707 posts, read 750,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
New Mexico is the 47th state, Arizona is the 48th. New Mexico was admitted to the Union on January 6th, 1912. Arizona was admitted the following month, on February 14th. Oklahoma was the previous state admitted before New Mexico, in 1907.
That's right. I must have left one out (HI). I knew it was before AZ though.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:21 PM

448 posts, read 592,191 times
Great thread actually. I was talking to my coworkers yesterday about New Mexico and they laughed about it like it's a pitiful state or something and it got me thinking ......what if we had a state called New Canada. Would we think everyone from there were Canadian in organ cause it bordered Canada and was one of those states that you don't really hear about.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
I remember moving from Albuquerque to the D.C. area back in the '70s when I was about 9. Kids in my new school asked me how I had liked living in a foreign country.

I haven't had any of that since we moved back last year. I like to think I run in a group brighter than those kids from 40 years ago . . . or maybe I just don't get out enough to hear the real doozies.

I should add though that if you're trying to order something large (furniture, bedding, etc.) Santa Fe might as well be in a foreign country. I honestly did hear "we only ship to Santa Fe once a month, and if the truck is full, you'll have to wait until the next month." It was coming from Denver.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I have always known that New Mexico is one of our states. What I didn't know is that Albuquerque can get rather chilly, even in the spring. In my one and only visit to New Mexico, I was driving through the city on an April day, and at one point it was sleeting! And I stopped at Santa Fe, and there were actually snow flurries falling, though the air temperature was somewhere in the 50s.

At my hotel that night, there was a copy of New Mexico Magazine on the nightstand, and I thumbed through it and came upon One of Our Fifty Is Missing. I thought it was pretty funny, though I can see where it would be annoying for people who live there to have to deal with the ignorance of their fellow Americans.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Honestly, it is probably the state name alone that accounts for most of these. People are pretty stupid, especially some of our fellow Americans.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default So far from God

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Honestly, it is probably the state name alone that accounts for most of these. People are pretty stupid, especially some of our fellow Americans.
Yah, & Colorado is red, Nevada is snowy, Arizona is dry, Florida is flowery (OK, 50%, not bad). & California is kinda dreamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.