Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM

282 posts, read 526,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
the northeast. :d
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM

282 posts, read 526,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
People in the Northeast are polite and often very helpful. But they do this in a business-like manner, so they're not particularly friendly, and sometimes that unfriendliness comes off as rudeness to people from other parts of he country.

THis is pretty darn accurate. Down to earth they are NOT.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
This beats having to be around people that smile at you and act real syrupy and then at a later time, stab you in the back.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
I think it really also depends on whether you're talking about rural or urban southerners or midwesterners. I found urban southerners to be slightly more friendly and down to earth than midwestern urbaners. But rural southerners overall were more friendly and down to earth than either. I don't know much about rural midwesterners as I have not spent much time in the rural midwest.

Also I don't agree that southern friendliness is fake. I know having grown up there that many southerners are just simply raised to be friendly to strangers and it comes natural to them. Now the fact that they might not stay friendly with you 100% of the time doesn't make them two faced or hypocrites it just means they're human.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think it really also depends on whether you're talking about rural or urban southerners or midwesterners. I found urban southerners to be slightly more friendly and down to earth than midwestern urbaners. But rural southerners overall were more friendly and down to earth than either. I don't know much about rural midwesterners as I have not spent much time in the rural midwest.

Also I don't agree that southern friendliness is fake. I know having grown up there that many southerners are just simply raised to be friendly to strangers and it comes natural to them. Now the fact that they might not stay friendly with you 100% of the time doesn't make them two faced or hypocrites it just means they're human.
My experiences with people in both the rural and urban south have been favorable compared to the midwest. I don't think southern friendliness is fake at all and in fact, I've found most people in the south to be quite outspoken and straight forward if they feel there is the need to be. I can't say that about the people in most of the midwest areas that I've lived or visited.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie in ear View Post
I didn't say anything about that one - I think it all sorta depends on how you define "down-to-earth," but now we're getting into semantics here, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I was born and raised in the midwest, and being polite is just part of our culture. In these parts, a blunt person is an oddity. It's not to say we're fake, it's just that we don't like to step on other people's toes. But I've found southerners have a warmer personality. They're friendly in a different way.

Both regions are polite and warm. We're more polite than warm, whereas southerners are warm but no less polite.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was born and raised in the midwest, and being polite is just part of our culture. In these parts, a blunt person is an oddity. It's not to say we're fake, it's just that we don't like to step on other people's toes. But I've found southerners have a warmer personality. They're friendly in a different way.

Both regions are polite and warm. We're more polite than warm, whereas southerners are warm but no less polite.
Bingo! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Oklahoma and Texas....hands down....but I think I might be just a little biased.

Also, I would classify Oklahoma and Texas as south-central or western south....not necessarily with the Southeast. Quite a few differences from folks from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas and say Georgia and the Carolinas.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Sure there are a small minority of northerners who are helpful and outwardly friendly but ya gotta look hard to find them. I am not saying midwesterners are not "nice people" once you get to know them but midwesterners and northerners just don't go out of there way to be friendly to strangers the way people do in the south. So please don't use the mountains or the ocean as an excuse as to why people are moving out of the midwest by the ten of thousands. Take responsibility for your gloomy outward personalities. Be more friendly and helpful to strangers. Let people in to your lane when they are attempting to change lanes instead of going out of your way to not let them over. Smile more often In the south we have a saying "the biggest difference between northerners and southerners is that southerners waive with all five fingers". The gloomy midwesterner jokes and skits that Garrison Keillor has fun with on prairie home companion where born from real observations from himself and people from other parts of the country who have visited or live in the gloomy midwest. Sorry, but as a midwesterner who now lives in the south I can tell you that those gloomy midwesterner personality stereotypes are not stereotypes they are true.
People are leaving the midwest mainly for jobs.

During the earlier parts of the century, people flooded into the midwest. Why? Jobs.

It's all about jobs. It's not like the people originally moved to the midwest because it was friendly, and then left when it became unfriendly.

AND, if there's any truth to your claim that midwesterners are gloomy (which I disagree with), that can pretty much be traced back to the economy too.

Very few people are leaving the midwest because they "don't like it here."

"It's the economy, stupid."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.