U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 02:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,792,530 times

Advertisements

Here is what I am looking for and you can throw out any city/state that matches:

*good school system
*affordable housing: any min. to mid-high 100thousands max for a nice size house with a nice size yard
*4 seasons, but NOT a blizzard blowing winter where it might get 1-2 feet of snow and stay lying around...(like Philadelphia)
*NOT in a huge city....try smaller city, or maybe not even in a city but a little more rural (but not cow rural)
*not a lot of crime
*NOT in a disaster prone area- such as tornado alley, or a flood-prone area, etc...
*Good water and air quality

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM

217 posts, read 838,013 times
What region do you want to be in? Looking for a place with decent amount of things to do, besides good schools, affordable housing and low rate of natural disaster I suggest checking into:

Raleigh, NC, Austin, TX Portland, OR
Here one from each region, except the colder ones that are prone to occasional snow storms. Portland me be a little higher housing wise though.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM

53 posts, read 285,456 times
Lawrence, KS. ~80,000 people, university town, 30 minutes from suburban Kansas City. Plenty of nice homes under 200k.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:27 PM

630 posts, read 2,576,875 times
My husband and I moved to the Oak Ridge/Clinton, TN area just about a year ago. We really like it. Very pretty country, close to Knoxville, just about any retail, dining, or entertainment opportunities you can think of.

We're both in our 50's with kids grown and gone, so I have no first hand knowledge of the school systems, though I hear Oak Ridge is above average.

There's been some talk on the TN forum of high crime in Oak Ridge, but I sure don't see it. Nice town, good weather, wonderful people.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,296,093 times
How about Minneapolis, MN or Omaha, NE? Both have a good school system, affordable housing, low crime, and are smaller cities. Both have 4 seasons but may be a little bit colder than what you'd like. Otherwise Austin, TX may be a good choice.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,854,080 times
*good school system
*affordable housing: any min. to mid-high 100thousands max for a nice size house with a nice size yard
*4 seasons, but NOT a blizzard blowing winter where it might get 1-2 feet of snow and stay lying around...(like Philadelphia)
*NOT in a huge city....try smaller city, or maybe not even in a city but a little more rural (but not cow rural)
*not a lot of crime
*NOT in a disaster prone area- such as tornado alley, or a flood-prone area, etc...
*Good water and air quality

~~~
Many towns/cities/communities in north GA would fit these criteria.
*I like Cartersville--Red Top Mt State Park--absolutely pristinely beautiful>>>>
http://www.notatlanta.org/redtop.html

--- Several places in West Georgia would also--Henry county has been identified as a county that will grow quickly--reasonable housing prices there--Not certain what a 'nice size yard' is for you.
Henry County>>>(Stockbridge, Locust Grove and others)
http://tinyurl.com/37cyst (broken link)

Henry County Chamber of Commerce>>>
http://www.henrycounty.com/

Old 02-03-2007, 06:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,387,347 times
The Charlotte area fits that. I live in a Charlotte suburb, my house is 4/2.5, 2100sf, 1/3 acre lot, 9 yrs old, in a nice subdivision, and is close to everything and would probably sell for $175k. Another Charlotte suburb where my brother lives also meets what you listed, Clover/Lake Wylie, SC. More rual and VERY nice.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:38 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,671,233 times
As soon as I read your post, I thought of Raleigh, NC. It's very nice there...we almost decided to move there but the population is growing a little too fast for our tastes. Our favorite town there was Benson.

ozradio - I have been to Lawrence, KS, and it is adorable! I do not care for many areas of KS because it is yellow and flat, but Lawrence is green and has hills.

My husband and I are relocating to the Kansas City area of MO later this year. The weather seems very similar to here in central NJ - all 4 seasons but severe winter storms are not too frequent. I have been told they get some pretty fierce electric storms. The risk of tornado is there, but it is not common. We will definitely get a house with a basement, just in case. We are looking north of KC, which has some very nice small towns that have been around for a while (we prefer older towns vs. towns w/ a lot of new development). Crime is relatively low outside of the inner city areas. Schools outside of the inner-city area are average to good. I never researched environmental areas but it seemed clean. Housing costs are excellent; for under $200k you can get something really nice assuming you don't want to be in the 'burbs immediately surrounding the city (which we do not). While we like it, I am not sure if it would be right for you because I suspect you and your family might prefer a milder climate.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 AM

475 posts, read 2,041,845 times
I'd like to also suggest you take a look at Omaha (visit the Omaha forum, under the Nebraska section for all sorts of information).

I'd also like to comment on this tornado fear, so many people seem to have. it's very simple to put it in perspective... more people die from lightning strikes each year, than from tornados (less than 100... you're far more likely to get killed in an auto accident). Unlike earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, volcanic eruptions, etc... tornados generally effect a very small area/path when they strike. And the good news about the midwest is... most cities here have extensive civil defense warning systems... and the weather service has developed a good proficiency for identifying tornados (actually, they're almost too cautious... all it takes is a signature 'hook echo' on radar, and they'll declare a tornado warning)... and most homes here have basements to seek shelter in... in the very unlikely event, one actually comes your way. So, rest easy folks... tornados, in spite of what the movie 'Twister' leads us to believe... are something you'll spend very little time thinking about here in 'tornado alley'.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,679,283 times
Default "Best Places"

Check out (broken link). They have a "quiz" in which you prioritize your wants & needs, then give you a list of the cities that match.

Last edited by Yac; 02-20-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or