Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:32 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times

Advertisements

I won't be moving for awhile and am just casually asking but I'd like to find a place to move eventually. I want some ideas to research. Here's some basic criteria:

1) 4 seasons. I prefer low humidity, but that tends to mean the West, which tends to be mean expensive. So maybe just a place with low-er humidity than avg? I like snow, but not regular 20-inch snowfalls in a week like Rochester, NY or something. I also don't like superlong hot, humid, bug-infested summers. (yes, I have considered Florida, of all places, LOL!)

2) Gay-friendly. However I don't want your sterotypical gay mecca because they're overcrowded and overpriced. No offense to gays, obviously, being one of them, but they can be quite snobby sometimes and seem to think they own a place. Prices skyrocket eventually. I don't want somethign like that. Something off the wall gay friendly, or at least not ridiculously priced.

3) Less susceptible to hurricanes and tornadoes, etc then some places. You can't avoid them completely but would nice to be fairly safe (here near Philly, I'd call it decently safe from those things).

4) Crime should be around the natl. avg, lower is better. Anything with a "city data crime ranking" of about 600 or more I'm not interested, unless it's a big city where the crime would be spread among a LOT of people (thus decreasing individual chance). If it's over 600 and a small place, I don't want it, unless the crime has been decreasing.

5) Medium sized. I don't care about sprawl - and please don't flame me. I'm sorry they tear down beautiful things for big box stores, but it's what people want. A sprawling area in that sense is fun. I don't want hugely horrible traffic or moderate traffic that is growing. Basically, a stable, not-growing-too-much-for-its-own-good medium sized place. Not rural nor extremely city-like.

6) In the less expensive ballpark is nice, perhaps within $100-200k for a decent (1200 sq foot or so) home. Don't need anything huge, so as long as a relatively nice 1000+ sq foot home can be had for 100-200k it's fine.

Thanks guys!

Hopefully there's SOMETHING out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 07:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
You have probably already considered Atlanta?

Virginia Highlands, Intown and Buckhead --I guess those are the stereotypical areas. That's about all we have--unless you consider surburban living--from Emory to Tucker--many gays are living quiet surburban lives.

The area around Peachtree Industrial/Peachtree Rd--down from Lenox Square/Phipps--sort of Chamblee, sort of Dunwoody--older 40's, 50's, 60's homes --should be 'Revitalized' within the next couple of years. Investors are renovating and prices haven't soared. Prime location--a new mixed use complex is going in--close to Ogelthorpe University. You probably would not like that--Sembler is the developer--does a lot in FL--utilitarian boxes someone said.
ETA:
I found this article on Sembler--FWIW>>>
http://www.developingatlanta.com/wordpress/?p=143

If you wanted to go further out--beyond Athens, GA--toward SC--there are some artists living near Lake Hartwell. I taught with one--Red Hat ladies--very openminded--must be others like them in that area.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
I never knew Atlanta was gay friendly, really. My mind just went Georgia, then it went "not gay friendly". LOL. I'll look into those areas!

The crime appears to be on a steady decline in Atlanta according to city-data. Still high, but seems to be dropping every year:

2002-1131
2003-1033
2004-912
2005-847

So, is it truly, noticeably dropping? Or are the stats misleading?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I never knew Atlanta was gay friendly, really. My mind just went Georgia, then it went "not gay friendly". LOL. I'll look into those areas!

The crime appears to be on a steady decline in Atlanta according to city-data. Still high, but seems to be dropping every year:

2002-1131
2003-1033
2004-912
2005-847

So, is it truly, noticeably dropping? Or are the stats misleading?
Atlanta--it's been gay friendly for several decades. A lot of gays lived in Buckhead during the 70's--that's Peachtree Rd--and Ansley Mall--near Piedmont Park--that's where the Gay Pride Parade(all other celebrations) are held. Ponce de Leon--charming older neighborhood---runs from downtown Atlanta around the Fox Theater--out to Stone Mt--Callanwolde/Candler-Coca Cola Mansion--Fernbank Science and History Museums---Druid Hills/Emory---Medlock Park --Toco Hills--Northlake Mall--probably all the way to the village of Stone Mt--people are too busy and frustrated from the traffic to care about 'Stuff'. The city is in such a process of 'Gentrification' or Urban Renewal--most of us are trying to figure out 'What Is Going On'---

That is not encouraging news--that the area is undergoing major change--but that is how we have lived for over a decade.

Crime is pretty much under control. 'We The People' insisted. Atlanta is a corporate town. Go to boortz.com--Cox Broadcasting is Media in this city. Read/listen to Boortz--'Libertarian'--we are headed that way--'Hold Yourself Accountable--Be Productive' --True Freedom. 'The Talkmaster'--but I'd rather live here than most other places I've considered.

Good climate. Still have some trees, nice yards, flowers--gardens--vegetables/fruit. Most of us just live. As best we can.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
Have you considered Madison, Wisconsin? Nice sized University city...liberal, yet laid back with low crime for a city of its size. Beautiful city parks and lakes. 4 distinct seaons. Some summer days can be hot/sticky and winters might be a bit longer than you're looking for, but overall it's a pretty temperate climate. Fall and late spring are especially nice. No hurricaines (obviously)--occasional tornadoes are possible, but nothing like "tordado alley." Property taxes are high but I think you could easily buy something in your price range. Good social services and schools. Might be worth a look, anyway! Good luck.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Perhaps North Carolina...Raleigh, Charlotte, or somewhere in between. The weather is agreeable, you'll find all the amenities you need in the cities, but if you are really wary of crime, you can live in the surrounding 'burbs. Tornados are unusual and it's too far from the coast to get serious damage from the occasional hurricane.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Northampton, Mass. would fit the bill. Funky small city, very gay friendly, lots to do (restaurants, live music, nightlife, shopping) with 4 seasons.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
To me, it sounds like the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area would fit your desired description, although you would want to look closer at the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho area if affordability is a higher priority. Great weather (4 seasons), nice sized, alternative lifestyle friendly, and pretty much tornado/hurricane free.

And you get the awesome food and sunsets thrown in for good measure!

Chap

Old 02-05-2007, 12:13 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
"And you get the awesome food and sunsets thrown in for good measure!"

We vacationed down there a couple times...yes, the food is awesome! (I do NOT have the typical bland Minnesota pallate...I love spicy food...in fact, my kitchen is all chili pepper themed ) And of course the quality of your sunlight is well known by all the artists who flock there.

Santa Fe is pretty expensive though, isn't it? That general area is definitley on my "second home" list if I ever have enough money in my retirement years. How is ALB for crime? I've heard that's one of the big drawbacks there.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I agree Santa Fe would fit the bill on most counts. I spent a great deal of time working out there and loved it, however the price range is beyond what bmurphy wants to pay. Santa Fe is beautiful but you pay a price for it. Albuquerque’s crime index is probably right around that 600 mark so that may rule it out.

Now I am craving green chile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.