U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM

39,346 posts, read 69,890,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
There is nothing about the midwest that feels even remotely northeastern, so how about either sticking with the midwest or perhaps the Great Lakes States.
Visit rural or small-town northeastern Ohio sometime, which was once claimed by Connecticut. Very New England-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
How about North Central? It doesn't resemble the West in the least.

Read:

"North Central States that surround the Great Lakes."
What about the Midwestern States that are south of the Great Lakes states?

I gotta go with the person who said people are geographically challenged the way it is. Leave it alone. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM

109 posts, read 429,445 times
Mid as in centered east and west.
and west as in cowboys and indians.
mid-west.
ta da.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM

5,479 posts, read 11,588,194 times
Perhaps it's historical. During the early 1800's Ohio was the frontier, "the west". Then came Lewis & Clark and the discovery of the real west. 1820's saw Illinois as the "west". Then St. Louis became the starting point for the wagon trains going west. Then Kansas City. So at one point these states were "the west" then as the country moved farther west, these states became the "mid" between the east and west.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:10 PM

133 posts, read 484,177 times
I hate how people get so pissy and think that because they live a particular region of the country that they are inherently better than others. I am from the northeast and all my roots are here, but when I lived in ND and western MN I thought that that was midwest. To me it was, but the people on here are right, how is Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin considered "midwest"? If you want to get technical I would say that Kansas and Colorado are truly midwest because they are located in the geographical midwest.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM

25 posts, read 81,133 times
The "Midsucks". Sorry, I live in Saint Louis and well it sucks!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 11,905,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubb53 View Post
The "Midsucks". Sorry, I live in Saint Louis and well it sucks!
Don't worry. Middle school will soon be all over and then your high school career can begin. Don't drop out - it gets better!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 11,905,099 times
Default A another way of seeing the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryclinker View Post
Call the plains the Midwest.

Great Lakes would be good for OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, and MN. But then you would have to include PA and NY which are also Northeast states.
Back when I first joined CD I suggested combining at least the Great Lakes states and the Northeast states in a new region simply called the North. The South for instance stretches all the way from Texas to the Atlantic so why is the North currently divided into the Midwest and a tiny area called the Northeast?

Under this idea the North would now include New England, the Mid Atlantic and the Great Lake States.

Then we would have to be decide whether the Great Plain states have more common with the North or the West. If we decided Western than the West would include the Midwest, Southwest & Northwest (or Great Plains, Mountain and Pacific if you prefer).

The South would continue to include the Upper South, Deep South & the South Central.

The idea is kind of radical (we go from 4 main regions to 3) and each main region North, South and West would include 3 sub regions each. It would require some thinking and sorfting out. Someone immeditely dismissed it so I did not explore it any further.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,354,355 times
^^^Sounds nice, create a thread and go for it. Of course you'll have some states that transition into another region or overlap another (but that States or region may still be the majority of this with a little bit of that). I hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 10,730,246 times
The North. Bos-Wash is definitely Eastern not Northern. Chicago is definitely Northern not Eastern. Historically the Ohio River and the Appalachians was the divide between the established coast and the inland frontier.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM

5,519 posts, read 8,868,067 times
North-Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.