U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM

8,144 posts, read 11,862,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
^^^Sounds nice, create a thread and go for it. Of course you'll have some states that transition into another region or overlap another (but that States or region may still be the majority of this with a little bit of that). I hope I didn't confuse you.
Thanks Scott and maybe someday I will. It is really just an academic question of course. The idea actually started when I was reading an older post. Someone from Kansas who felt his or her state had more in common with Colorado than Ohio.

Anyway once again it looks like I went off track on another thread.

Midwest is a pretty good name - it might seem odd today but it is like that for historical reasons. Other names I seen are North Central and Heartland.

Great Plains and Great Lakes make well, great subregion names lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,442,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubb53 View Post
The "Midsucks". Sorry, I live in Saint Louis and well it sucks!
If you moved to Compton, California, would you call it "Crapfornia"? Get real.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,342,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you moved to Compton, California, would you call it "Crapfornia"? Get real.
I don't see how a person can take shots t the Midwest, at all.
The South has the aloof country person image, the North(east) has the business as usual/cut-throat image, but I don't see how one can knock the Heartland. I agree that a person needs to get real if they diss the Midwest. The Midwest is a great region and people need to stop knocking it on here.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,253,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Places like OH, IN, KY, etc, are more Easterly, but places like IA, KS, etc, are the perfect definition of Midwest. Some people use the term Great Lakes states for MI, IL, WI, MN, etc, but what do you call the other midwestern states? Exactly! Midwest is the perfect term.
Take Kentucky out and I'll agree

Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 AM

11,884 posts, read 35,557,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
The more easternly states are the Mid-East. Or they could be called "BoringLand". Kansas/Nebraska is "Mid" or "Crapland".

Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM

5,716 posts, read 15,709,067 times
Honestly, it should be broken down into many regions. Having one all-encompassing name leads many to believe that it's a great, monotonous void.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,939,051 times
LMAO prairie dog man.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 AM

3,742 posts, read 7,857,192 times
The North Central United States: Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM

7,929 posts, read 9,147,319 times
You take the Midwest and the Great Lakes =

the Great Mid... (doesn't sound very attractive though)

Old 04-25-2009, 01:50 AM

424 posts, read 1,601,352 times
I don't think Heartland is used excessively. I think it fits for many reasons...middle of the nation, the heart through and from which the major river systems to the Gulf of Mexico flow, the historical heart of so much agriculture, meat and grain processing, etc. It would be particularly difficult from a logistical/ground transport, industrial, and agricultural stance for the balance of nation to remain united if this one key section of the country was removed. All regions of the nation are important, but indeed this section does function like a heart in so many ways. I like Heartland in spite of the negative or ominous (at the very least) destiny for the term in the miniseries "Amerika" from 1987 ("Amerika" (1987)). Another moniker that seems somewhat feasible is "Inter Mountain" region which is somewhat accurate in the gross sense. As stated by others, Midwest just might have to do since it is historically entrenched.

Last edited by buckhead; 04-25-2009 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Edited for minor corrections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.