U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Proud & happy of being American?
Yes 109 84.50%
No 20 15.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,088,891 times

Advertisements

HBJOHN

This is America, you can have a moderate home and ride public transport if you like--no one will stop you.

Others love our big SUVs, big homes, and we dont make excuses for it, its what liberty and freedom is all about and why, I am Proud to be an American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times
Default Are you happy and proud of being born in the USA?

I most certainly was for the first few years of my collective memory.

That was until I discovered that there was a country called Canada, that I was in Canada, and through deductive reasoning I realized I was neither living in the U.S.A., nor American.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-06-2007 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 PM

752 posts, read 619,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
To be born in this wonderful Country is a gift. I am pro American and love this Country. I will never move to another Country for any reason.
Just to poll the gallery, why is it that those of you who voted "yes" say that you're proud to be American?

As winter said above, being born in the USA (or any country with a decent quality of life) is a gift, a luck of the draw. How can you be proud of something you had absolutely no hand in?

I feel very very lucky to be American, but proud? Absolutely not.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM

63 posts, read 318,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
HBJOHN

This is America, you can have a moderate home and ride public transport if you like--no one will stop you.
Thanks for stating the obvious. Everything I said clearly went over your head.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,206 times
I'm definitely glad to be born and raised in the United States of America...I love our country!!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM

2,372 posts, read 7,761,282 times
In my younger years growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area (1950s-1960s) it was easy to take all the good things we had in life for granted. I lived in a city where it became fashionable to bash our country and blame it for all the world's problems. A lot people at that time forgot about the sacrifices of the "greatest generation" that came just a few years before us and helped save the world from misery and catastrophe at such great cost. I was so naive. Few years later I was serving in the Army, over in what was then "West Germany" at a remote outpost (Point Alpha) along what used to be the border with "East Germany". That more than anything else helped me appreciate all that America offered. Land of the Free and Home of the Brave are a lot more than nice words to our anthem. America is the real deal, and it really hit me how bad things could be for an entire country like I saw over on the other side of the iron curtain, where they were fenced in, spied on, exploited and cheated out of all the good things in life, and it was all right in front of me.
My mother's ancestors came to America in 1635, 13 generations ago, in search of a new life in freedom. I am proud of that and all that they may have done to make this a better place for all of us. Sure it's not perfect and we still have a mountain of issues and problems. At least we have a chance to change things here.
Are there other places in the world I would consider living? Yes, in South America, in certain parts of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay or Brazil. I feel almost as much at home in those places as I do here in the USA. I have spent several years living in that region and have been all around there. Outside of the large cities in those countries, there is like in the USA, large areas of wide open spaces and a sense of freedom.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 PM

11,397 posts, read 18,601,568 times
absolutely proud and feel fortunate.

America is not a utopia,but its alot better than most countries,and I say this never haven traveled to other places so basing my opinion on history and social events.

The American revolution is unique as it didn't implode on itself like most revolutions do.

So far,America still has the most individual liberty as compared,though Americans will constantly debate just what and how far the liberties go.

That said,I've known some fine people from other parts of the world,and some of them would say they are happier to live where they do.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,123,834 times
Am I happy to be an American? Yes. But I'd like to think that I'd also be happy being a Canadian, Australian, German, Ethiopian, or any other nationality, because happiness comes from deep within.

Am I proud to be an American? No. It's not like I had a say in the matter.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM

186 posts, read 847,308 times
Thumbs up In the words of one of my heroes, John D. Rockefeller...

I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.

I believe that the law was made for man and not man for the law; that government is the servant of the people and not their master.

I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.

I believe that thrift is essential to well ordered living and that economy is a prime requisite of a sound financial structure, whether in government, business or personal affairs.

I believe that truth and justice are fundamental to an enduring social order.

I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man's word should be as good as his bond; that character -- not wealth or power or position -- is of supreme worth.

I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free.

I believe in an all-wise and all-loving God, named by whatever name, and that the individual's highest fulfillment, greatest happiness, and widest usefulness are to be found in living in harmony with His will.

I believe that love is the greatest thing in the world; that it alone can overcome hate; that right can and will triumph over might.

Because America is still the best platform for these ideals I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. Of course America is run by people, and humans are far from perfect, but I lived pretty much everywhere else worth living around the World and I'm glad to be back!

"Can Do": those are the words that sets this country apart from all else, for me.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 PM

49 posts, read 286,350 times
I'm ungodly proud to be born in the USA despite the time. I'm just thankful everytime I see it on t.v. that I wasn't born in Africa or Europe during the Holocaust. Who knows maybe I was in a past life..[just saying]

Had I not been born in the USA I'd prefer UK, Spain, or The Cayman Islands [yeah the last one was a bit random but life is pretty good out there]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or