U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Proud & happy of being American?
Yes 109 84.50%
No 20 15.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,393,491 times

Advertisements

I would just like to announce that someone actually gave me a red dot for my post and called me a xenophobe! (yes I had to look it up! )
And this person who is un American didn't have the COJONES to say who it was!!!
That is so pathetic. Not only do you not derserve to be in this country if you aren't proud to be an American, but you don't deserve to have the right to give a neg if you can't say who you are. What a - - - - -!!!
And I intend to ask the mods to remove that. That is a violation of the rep system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,624,866 times
Default Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I would just like to announce that someone actually gave me a red dot for my post and called me a xenophobe! (yes I had to look it up! )
That is so pathetic. Not only do you not derserve to be in this country if you aren't proud to be an American, but you don't deserve to have the right to give a neg if you can't say who you are. What a - - - - -!!!
And I intend to ask the mods to remove that. That is a violation of the rep system!
Relax, I made it up for you.

You got to be careful with any word begining with a X. None are easy to spell or pronounce or even know what they mean. Like xerophthalmia, xylo****ous or xylitol. (Sheez why did they bleep that out, I don't even know what it means, see the trouble with X's)

There are only 28 words begining with X, in my dictionary. Did you know X is a word all by itself? I still don't understand why X is not a vowel when used by its lil self. English has all sorts of weird rules, why not that one. Just doesn't seem right to say a X, should be an X.

But then if you said an X, people might think you are trying to add something. Many people with X's are not happy. I don't have any X's, maybe that is why I am happy.

Anyway sort of explains why I felt sorry for you. I do see 13 of them say No now. Maybe they should have to wear some sort of XXXX's on their T-shirts. Could they have been drinking from bottles with XXXX's on them.

Somehow X is not a happy word. Even gets repeated too often, usually not with good results.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,762,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJohn View Post
Does anybody ever think about the fact that Europeans are on vacation like 4 months out of the year and we here in the ol' USA are working 40 to 60 hours a week and possibly with one week vacation. And to top that off I still can't afford to buy the least expensive barrio house in Orange County Calif.
Is it possible that we've been brainwashed so much through schooling here to believe that we are the worlds greatest everything.
Just a simple example and I have to be honest about this I really don't know the numbers I just remember reading something like this. If we are such the greatest country in the world why is our infant mortality rate something like 15th in the world. Why do we have so much higher rates of cancer than many other countries. Why do we force our children to have 15,000 vaccinations that many European country do not have. What about education. Shouldn't we be number one? Why are our high school students testing so much lower than so many other countries?
You know I could go on and on.
I don't hate the USA at all I just sometimes think that we are force fed how great we are and we are never told the truth about many things.
Well, we said we love our country and our proud, but we didn't say we thought it was perfect. We are one of the most productive countries, and I have never worked a job where I only got one or two weeks vacation a year. Time off to travel and just live is a high priority for me.
Why do we have a higher cancer rate? Well, partly because we are so successful. . more leisure time, abundant food (grocery stores on every conrner) etc. Yes, one of our main health issues is the obesity epidemic because people make poor choices and have the money to over indulge.
Education.. . the parents that worked so hard to give their children every thing has caused many to continue w/the lifestyle without having to work for it. . . Yes, we have many problems in our country that need to be dealt with but we still all realize what we have here, including our freedom (to make those good and bad choices).

Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,090,415 times
proud proud proud proud proud proud American

Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,509,268 times
I am very proud as well. While i was born in the US, my parents are Swiss. They have had , on a couple of occassions during my childhood, the opportunity to move back . Now that would be a temptation, because while not utopia, its a pretty cool place. But, the decision has always been to stay, in no small part because of the limitless possibilities here. Sure, one could say that no one in Switzerland is starving, and that nearly all babies are healthy, and that there is real "social security" but with that comes limitations. Taxation more or less levels the economic strata. In addition, innovation and change are just not as easy to come by when you have a small area of land with limited resources, and a lot of people (which leads to a conservative culture- at least one that is risk averse). Here we are free to succeed enormously or fail enormously. Its up to the individual. So some people suffer, and some prosper. Relative to any European country, we have much more freedom. Another area that we can be proud of is the leadership (and aid) we give to the rest of the world. Of-course, the failures get much more attention than the successes, as in Iraq, but at least we have the strength to ACT. I consider myself to be lucky to be here . (46, white male)

Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I wasn't the one who gave you the neg, but what you said really wasn't very nice, Elfyum. People are allowed to have differing opinions without being called "terrorists" or "illegals"--or being told to "get out."
I'm happy to be born in the USA, I doubt that I would live anywhere else.
But I am not so very proud these days.
I have been reading about what's been going on at Walter Reed Hospital.
I am deeply ashamed to see how our vets are being treated.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I wasn't the one who gave you the neg, but what you said really wasn't very nice, Elfyum. People are allowed to have differing opinions without being called "terrorists" or "illegals"--or being told to "get out."
I'm happy to be born in the USA, I doubt that I would live anywhere else.
But I am not so very proud these days.
I have been reading about what's been going on at Walter Reed Hospital.
I am deeply ashamed to see how our vets are being treated.
He was just exercising Freedom of Speech. I don't like terrorists or illegals either. And yeah it should not be their choice about leaving. Lots of things people say are not nice but need to be said loud and clear over and over again.

Psst the Government is not listening. That is the same Government that tried to go on the cheap with the folks wounded in Iraq, it is / was not listening about that little dust up either, the cause of them having to be in the hospital that is.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
He was just exercising Freedom of Speech. I don't like terrorists or illegals either. And yeah it should not be their choice about leaving. Lots of things people say are not nice but need to be said loud and clear over and over again.
Well, terrorists and illegals are not on my favorite folks either, but it doesn't make sense to me for Elfyum to call anyone participating in this poll either of those things. But if that's exercising freedom of speech, then I suppose the person who gave out the neg was doing the same?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
But if that's exercising freedom of speech, then I suppose the person who gave out the neg was doing the same?
Well then I exercised my freedom of speech and gave it back to him. H,mmm I was called an idiot today. Does this mean I got to go get her????

Boy, I will probably have to give out a lot in the future, they better only use the right PC approved words from now on. With no emotional content either. Lots of people get off the Reservation and say words I don't like and I have been letting them get away with it.

BTW - I am still happy to be an American.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,921 times
Logged in just to vote YES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or