U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Proud & happy of being American?
Yes 109 84.50%
No 20 15.50%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,754,557 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am proud to be born in the USA, even if people see us the wrong way. I was lucky enough to live in the UK a year (my husband is from the UK but is now an American citizen). I am a real Anglophile and enjoyed it. I would move back there but we have decided to stay here.

I would be happy to live ANYWHERE decent in the USA I could just have a fair shot at life.

I think people need more pride in the USA. It's a wonderful place to live. If you are an immigrant and unhappy--well there is always a plane or boat ready to take you back 'home.' No place is perfect. If you cast your lot moving here, make the best of it (as we citizens are told) or go home to greener pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 06:48 AM

19 posts, read 191,837 times
Definitely YES! As somebody said: nothing's perfect but I couldn't live in other countries (I've visited many of them in my life).

Old 03-24-2007, 03:04 PM

500 posts, read 2,702,620 times
I wasn't born in America, but I chose to move here and be an American because I love this damn country to death. Period.

U-S-A!!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 PM

192 posts, read 798,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyedsoul87 View Post
And where would you like to live if not in the US?
I am very grateful to have been born in the USA; but that doesn't mean I am proud of every action that the USA has taken as a nation throughout its history. That would be comparing apples and oranges!

I spent about 20 years of my adult life working in the UK, and travelled extensively during that time. The USA has its faults, both economically and socially, but if I could choose only one nation to call my own, this would be it.

If for some reason I could no longer live in the USA, I would choose England. (I almost said English Canada but then remembered the winters....brrrrrrr... No thank you!)

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
I'm proud to be a Virginian. I am a 12th Generation Virginian and I am a decendant of Robert E. Lee, Thomas Jefferson, and Pocohantas.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM

476 posts, read 1,014,527 times
I'm proud to be an American. That doesn't mean I always agree with or respect our political leaders. One of the best parts of being an American is that I'm free to separate the two.
I'm also fortunate to be an American. It can be quite a comfortable living. Extensive travel in other countries has made me appreciate the lifestyle I enjoy here at home.

If I couldn't live in the US, I'd live in BVI.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 475 times
oh YES! U.S.A. rocks!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,730,762 times
Ok, I'm not going to sugarcoat the cake as it's to sweet already. Yes, I'm born and raised in the U.S.A and all of our parents immigrated from somewhere else, so essentially America is one big melting pot of immigrants. Now for the question, "Am I Proud and Happy to be an American?" To answer honestly: YES/NO. I believe that we are all people in search of a good life for ourselves, our families and those that we love. I also believe that this is God's world. No, I'm not religious, I'm just saying that there is a higher order to things and I know that we are not it. Let's face it we have VERY SERIOUS problems in America and this is NOT the land of "milk and honey." I'm not sure one exists on earth, otherwise we'd all move to this "utopian bliss."

We are the most powerful country on earth with the most blemished history of violence, racism, slavery, lynchings, genocide, torture, civil and constitutional rights violations etc.... So yeah, I'm not sure that the so called "patritotic spirit" makes any sense or is healthy. However, I do know this, we in America have a right, as procalimed through our Constitution to fight for what we believe to be truth/justice and the moral good. So in that respect, I say that I believe in the vision of my country and believe that one day we will live up to our good name. We must learn to live in peace, restrain our greed and practice humility in all our affairs. That's what being a true American is all about.

P.S. I can't deny that I'm a huge White Sox/Padres fan....and of course, who can resist Apple Pie/Vanilla Ice Cream

Last edited by Supernova7; 08-13-2007 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 02:49 PM

404 posts, read 544,761 times
Yes. I am proud to be an American, and quite lucky too....

Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
I'm proud of the US. Less so thanks to our recent actions, but still proud. I think that the United States is the greatest country in the world without ignoring any of it's faults. I think we have overcome a lot of problems and there are others we have yet to find solutions for. However, I think there's nothing we American's can't do. We just have to get our priorities straight.

Oh, but if I were to live somewhere else, I'd move to the east coast of the ROC, teach English, and surf my brains out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or