Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,999,391 times

Advertisements

Lacking refinement, tactfulness, etc. People who tend to be pasty, husky, and living in a bubble. of course there are exceptions in the big cities but the majority of the midwest is flat land with nothing around. one may think of the great cities but generally speaking one city, such as chicago, represents a tiny portion of the state of illinois let alone the entire midwest (Kansas, Nebraska, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,156,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For a city of its size, there is a fairly large Italian community there. Henry Fonda and Marlon Brando both come from long-time Omaha families.
From Wikipedia:

Fonda was born in Grand Island, Nebraska[1] to advertising-printing jobber William Brace Fonda and his wife Elma Herberta Jaynes, in the second year of their marriage.[2]. The Fonda family had emigrated westward from Genoa, Italy to The Netherlands in the 1500s, and then to the United States in the 1600s, settling in the town now called Fonda, New York.[3]

So his family had been in America for 300 years. I would not consider him Italian any more than I would call myself Irish just because some great great grandfather was born there.

Marlon Brando's family...was of mixed Dutch, Irish, German, Huguenot, and English descent.

Also, just because there happen to be some people with Italian or Czech surnames and a few ethnic restaurants in a city doesn't mean there is any actual community to speak of. Sure, people from Omaha have ancestors from a lot of places, but that doesn't differentiate it from anywhere else in the US.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Lacking refinement, tactfulness, etc. People who tend to be pasty, husky, and living in a bubble. of course there are exceptions in the big cities but the majority of the midwest is flat land with nothing around. one may think of the great cities but generally speaking one city, such as chicago, represents a tiny portion of the state of illinois let alone the entire midwest (Kansas, Nebraska, etc.)

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic

77% of people in the midwest live in urban areas, and only 1.8% actually live on a farm.

Even in Iowa you can find scenes like this, on the west areas of the state as well as the east.....

from the iowa natural resources website

Here's my hometown of 60K people in Iowa. It's not a bunch of ignorant hillbillies, even though that's all anyone assumes...

from flickr

Last edited by Chicago60614; 09-10-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
well the midwest is usually seen as the most boring of the 4 major regions of the united states. if one wants to accenuate the good qualities of the midwest then i would say the midwest is down to earth, friendly for the most part as big cities aren't filled with one hand in their pocket and the other waving at you kind of people, good cooking, hard working people, and 4 distinct seasons although winter can last anywhere from November to April. Do you have any more?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No, just sheltered and clueless.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
No, just sheltered and clueless.
coming from you, this is priceless!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
j33

Quote:
coming from you, this is priceless!
I beg your pardon? I've traveled around the world, spending time in places like London (where I lived for a semester), Moscow (where I stayed for six weeks), and Sao Paulo (where my cousin lived), as well as visiting my family annually on the northeast coast.

Yes, I grew up in Chicago, because my grandfather chose to move here from New York City. But I am well aware of the world around me, aware enough to know that making sweeping generalizations dismissing the residents entire regions as dull hicks shows a small and provincial mind.

Carry on. The only one here looking childish is you.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM

oh, get over yourself! if you have a difference of opinion you do not attack other posters. THAT is childish behavior. Please don't respond to my posts in the future. You do not contribute to the topic at hand, you only deter proper discussion from taking place.

Chicago 60614 (my zip code too):

you choose to look at population where i look at land area. if you look at the land area of other regions you will find a startling difference to the midwest. You kind of proved my point by saying the overwhelming majority of people live in tiny areas compared to the region itself thus it is deemed as "flyover country" by people who live in other regions that are much more dense.

besides, can you put into words what makes a place midwestern?

pretty pictures can be found of any area in the world because it is so beautiful to begin with. the difficult thing is putting into words what exactly makes a place midwestern. thank you.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
j33

Hey - you were the one who stated "Lacking refinement, tactfulness, etc. People who tend to be pasty, husky, and living in a bubble. of course there are exceptions in the big cities but the majority of the midwest is flat land with nothing around"

I'm just calling you on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
Quote:
I don't relate to anything posted here.....have you lived nowhere but the city?
Is this why you don't understand people who don't?

Why so judgemental?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.