U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM

41 posts, read 108,337 times

Advertisements

This is just for fun, just to share your thoughts and opinions.

Mine is Detroit, ok, laugh all you want, but the north western suburbs like Bloomfield and Waterford are beautiful. Well they were when i lived there and im sure they havent changed in 5 years. You can find alot of stuff to do, like the Cranbrook museum in Bloomfield and the Detroit zoo is amazing with its artic exhibit. There is more to Detroit then just its gangters in downtown and the "hoods" of 8 mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 PM

364 posts, read 396,868 times
Default I agree.....

Detroit- well actually the suburbs which are totally different. With the money, million some dollar homes, upscale shopping and dining it is like a mini Beverly Hills. Oh and the Detroit Pistons in Auburn Hills!!

Troy is my fav. Somerset mall isn't a half bad way to spend a Saturday. Morning at Neiman's and lunch at PF Changs (they have the second best Pan Pacific Asian.. Ruby Foo's NYC is #1)

Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,844,651 times
I haven't been to the midwest--only heard tales.

I would say Chicago--but just too cold--even 1 day of -30 degree temperatures is too much for me. I have heard the wind whips off the lake? Erie providing many days with bone chilling cold. Not my kind of weather. Although I would visit in the summer--for the food and interesting neighborhoods.

I've heard great things about Minneapolis.

sls

Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 PM

30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
My vote goes for Minneapolis/St. Paul. While I'm not exactly a fan of the unsightly urban sprawl that is supposedly worsening in the Twin Cities Metro, everything I've ever heard about the area has been overwhelmingly positive, from having the most cultural amenities per capita of any U.S. city outside of NYC, to being one of the most literate cities in the U.S., to having a very open-minded population towards the GLBT community, to being an enclave of "Blue" in the overwhelmingly "Red" upper midwest. I even like the cold weather, so that's another plus in my book. The area around Lake Harriet looks absolutely stunning with its historic homes and walkable atmosphere. Downtown Minneapolis looks like a modern mecca of prosperity without any sort of "character" while St. Paul seems to offer a wonderful complement with very little "modernity" and plenty of historic charm in its downtown. If I wasn't so hellbent on trying to get everyone and their mother-in-law to move to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, I'd certainly give the Twin Cities a look!

P.S. Is anything being done to help curtail the rampant urban sprawl in the Twin Cities, or are MN residents indifferent to their problems, just like those here in PA who shrug their shoulders and say "that's a shame" as vast swaths of trees come down left and right for cookie-cutter subdivisions, wider roadways, and big-box stores? The metro area just looks so damn inviting; it's a shame that the sprawl scares me away.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,288,597 times
Quote:
P.S. Is anything being done to help curtail the rampant urban sprawl in the Twin Cities, or are MN residents indifferent to their problems, just like those here in PA who shrug their shoulders and say "that's a shame" as vast swaths of trees come down left and right for cookie-cutter subdivisions, wider roadways, and big-box stores? The metro area just looks so damn inviting; it's a shame that the sprawl scares me away.
I've been there many a time and yes, it has a sprawl problem like anywhere else in the US. Nobody really seems to care though, I think many like it because it brings jobs and new businesses. And what's wrong with cookie-cutter neighborhoods?

My favorite midwest city would probably be Chicago. I really don't know why, I just like it.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,462,881 times
Ok, I think that the guy that come up with the term "Mid West" was one of the advisors for Columbus that said the world was flat. hahaha

The exact dead center of the US is marked with a monument. It's located down by Blunt South Dakota. that's mid. Now, going west.

I'd have to vote for Sheridan Wyoming.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,364,111 times
Definitely Chicago. I love the setting right on the lake and how the water is such a part of the city. Terrific food and great unique neighborhoods as well.

I've never been to Minneapolis but I've heard good things. As far as the sprawl is concerned, from what I've heard it is pretty bad, but the recently-opened light rail is a hit and there are many proposals and projects on the table to bring density at least around some of the rail stations, as tends to happen in many cities.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,788,162 times
Traverse City, Michigan! (plus the area surrounding it)

It's my favorite by far in the MidWest!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,844,651 times
Default Another place

I have heard that Madison, Wisconsin is good.

Met a poster from there--and if there are others like this individual--it is really a great place to live.

that is all I know about Madison--near a lake--university there--places to enjoy Swing dancing and outdoor activities--citizens --at least one--enjoy living there

Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,869,909 times
The one I'm from. Chicago.

However, I've never been to Minneapolis, I should give it a visit some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.