U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,300,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The ones you mentioned in Texas truly are cheap - why IS Texas so cheap? Is it the tornado risk? The hurricane risk in some areas? What makes it so cheap and not going up fast?
Texas didn't see the influx of people like California, Florida, Arizona, etc did. They also had enough homes to accomodate the ones that did come. That's at least how I view it. I highly doubt it's because of hurricane risk (look at Florida!), tornado, or any other type of natural disaster.

But they also aren't seeing the correction as CA, FL or any other boom state is.

In a nutshell I just don't think Texas was thought to be a highly desirable place to live. Many wanted to be near the ocean and have year-round great weather. Texas really doesn't have either feature.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,999,753 times
Well alot of people are now moving to TX but its a huge state with no shortage of land. Also theres alot of illegal mexican imigrants to construct houses for min wage so its cheap for developers to build houses, cheap labor.
The weather in TX for the most part is decent. Summers really suck though but spring and fall should be mild and pleasent and winters comparable to north FL. You can live near the golf in Houston TX. I think Texas is a better deal than FL and I dont consider TX undesirable other than the insanely hot summers. The prices are great, see example below(Dallas)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image3/http/ntreis/listings/large/081/10699387.jpg (broken link)
$154,900
4 Bed, 3 Bath
2,483 Sq. Ft.

Maybe my parents can relocate there, they dont like the northern winters. Much better deal than FL(especially south)

Old 02-07-2007, 03:44 AM

669 posts, read 2,947,337 times
Well NAH, if you're worried about their house being hurt in Florida, don't have them move to Texas. There are tornadoes there and I'm almost certain hurricanes can hit too.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 AM

Texas gets alot less hurricanes and Dallas is inland, the hurricane would be much weaker if it makes its way there. Every state has tornados, Florida got hit bad by them a few days ago. My parents would have a major advantage of having a nice big house like the one shown above for $150k. It is awfully tempting for me to buy that type of house but not at the risk of going into debt. If I win the lottery or maybe my parents are willing to share the expenses(75k me, 75k parents) then I can afford a such house in a desirable big city like Dallas I will hate the summers though

Dallas has high crime but the suburbs are safe and just as affordable. Those are some good prices, just saw a humongous 3600 square feet(if total then 2700 living) 6 bedroom house for $199k! They get over 4000 total, 3000 living square feet for around $200k! Something my parents could really enjoy and sell their overpriced south FL house or if I win the lottery

Last edited by Need_affordable_home; 02-07-2007 at 05:33 AM..

Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM

414 posts, read 1,470,796 times
The word to keep in mind is 'compromise'. No place will ever be perfect.

Hot, miserable summers? Yet lovely, comfortable winters. Bitter cold winters? Perhaps pleasant summers, or at least bearable summers. Neither? Look elsewhere.

Great job prospects? Probably translates into expensive housing. Lovely beaches and climate? Ditto. Quiet, peaceful area? No jobs, most likely.

IOW, there's always something.

I'd love to be in California still, but as my DH retired it would mean scraping by. We live in Ashland, Oregon now and are comfortable. It has four distinct seasons and is very pleasant. It has culture in the form of the Shakespeare Festival, art galleries, a museum or two and great restaurants. Result: expensive (comparatively speaking) housing. We have a lovely house which cost us 600k. We could find one for 300k somewhere else but.... will it have hot summers? Cold winters? Culture? Trailer parks? Rednecks? Uppity snobs? Beaches? Deserts? Sigh.....

Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 PM

185 posts, read 684,487 times
Default Check Out The Property Taxes Before You Buy

I was going to move to Texas but after some research into the property tax situation I decided it was to rich for my blood.
For example in Taylor county (Abilene)
$154,900 market value = $4104.85 with a historical rise of 9.95% per year in market value. You are taxed on the market value in Texas.
You may be able to afford the taxes now but think down the road 20 to 30 years you may be taxed right out of your home. Just something to think about.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM

669 posts, read 2,947,337 times
Every state has tornadoes, yes, but that's a bit of a stretch. It's true, but it's almost as if you're trying to say you're equally at risk for tornadoes in Philadelphia as you are in Texas.

Texas is one of the higher states for tornadoes. They do get a lot. So how are you worried about florida tornadoes destroying your parents home but not Texas tornadoes, NAH?

CHEWY- Glad you're looking to the future. Perhaps in 20 years people will complain about Texas the way they do about Florida. Good foresight!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEWY12 View Post
I was going to move to Texas but after some research into the property tax situation I decided it was to rich for my blood.
For example in Taylor county (Abilene)
$154,900 market value = $4104.85 with a historical rise of 9.95% per year in market value. You are taxed on the market value in Texas.
You may be able to afford the taxes now but think down the road 20 to 30 years you may be taxed right out of your home. Just something to think about.

And the same $155k house in TX would cost $400k in south FL. Property taxes would be over $7k and dont even get me started on insurance. Texas is the clear winner here. I find it funny you complain about taxes in Texas, you should see how bad its in south Florida!

Texas isnt really my choice of where to move, I hate the hot summers and also nice houses usually cost $125k to $150k and up. Good price for someone with money like my parents, they can relocate.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,105,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
And the same $155k house in TX would cost $400k in south FL. Property taxes would be over $7k and dont even get me started on insurance. Texas is the clear winner here. I find it funny you complain about taxes in Texas, you should see how bad its in south Florida!
The taxes in Florida are not terrible compared to many other places in the US. I know it is what you are familiar with, but Florida really isn't that bad at all. I know Floridians like to complain about the cost to live there but compared to many other states, you have got it pretty good.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 AM

185 posts, read 684,487 times
Need_affordable_home

I'm not complaining about the property taxes in Texas because I'm not going to be the one paying them. If you feel you have a winner go for it more power to ya friend . For me it is to much risk. A couple of real "HOT" years in Texas and you can be in a real bind especially if you are on a fixed income like this old goat is. Like I said before you may be able to afford it today but maybe not down the road a piece. I hope you have alot of charm because you are going to need it when you try to convince the tax collector to let you keep your house when you can not pay the taxes on it. I think we are all looking for affordable housing not just for today but also in our golden years.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or