U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,962,302 times

Advertisements

MomofDW2,

It was only a joke, sorry if you took offense. The joke was not made for 22 million folks or the entire state by absolutely no means, you can't make the generalization. I respect your state and your opinions. Ok, out of the seriousness.

http://www.usatourist.com/english/places/texas/dallas.html
Dallas is associated with cowboys and ranches, but visitors are often surprised to find the city to be such a fast-paced metropolis.

They must have not thought it was a minority to have cowboys, not to mention cowboys in a huge city, kind of the wanna-be cowboy look.
[/color]

Wikipedia which isn't the most reliable source, this what they had to say: lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck
The term "Texas Cadillac" is a euphemism referring to the pickup truck of a cowboy or someone into the cowboy/country music culture, especially if the truck is large and has been customised rather opulently. Texas is sometimes called the "land of pickup trucks," even going so far as to offer lower taxation on vehicle registration compared to other vehicle types.[1]

They haven't deemed it as needing a source, so it's probably pretty accurate.

The people being overweight is pretty obvious but let me scoop something up.

On WebMD website:
http://onhealth.webmd.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64309 (broken link)

The states ranking highest in obesity as of 2006:
Texas ranked 12th..
Florida was tied at 31st with three others...
California was ranked 32nd
New York was 33rd

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but these facts are tough evidence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:53 PM

364 posts, read 397,941 times
Momof2dfw-

From reading a few of your posts I understand you live in Dallas? My uncle moved to Flowermound a few months ago from Phoneix for GM. He loves it. I have not been there in a while but also liked it when I was. It is my understanding it has grown and changed alot. I used to visit around the Northpark area. I am going to visit him in a month or so and am in need of a little direction. I was thinking of staying at the Hitlon in Grapevine. What are the newest areas with the most to do? I would be looking for fine dining in particular. Thanks!!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM

I couldn't find anything on the bars, but I have personally been to Dallas. Can you deny the neighborhoods with the stereotypical foot long weeds, and poorly cut lawns, just like the gorgeous south. Not the newly developed ones, those are very nice, green, and cut well.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,314,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I couldn't find anything on the bars, but I have personally been to Dallas. Can you deny the neighborhoods with the stereotypical foot long weeds, and poorly cut lawns, just like the gorgeous south. Not the newly developed ones, those are very nice, green, and cut well.
Sure can. There are plenty of older neighborhoods all over the Dallas metroplex that are well taken care of. Like any large city there are going to be some that let their yards go but there are very strict codes and they are enforced. Anything over 6" is suspect to a fine. Even in areas that are not w/in a city limits the county has jurisdiction and can fine owners of land that is not kept mowed. The reason you can't find anything on the bars is because it is not true, it stems from those stereotypical myths that many make up and hold onto w/out very little or no knowledge of the truth.

Pick up trucks and country music. LOL!!! My husband has one and does not listen to country music. Again, another false stereotype. Country music stations are not the majority in the Dallas market. But hey, there are country music fans all over the country, they routinely sell out in places in the northeast and cali. Yes, taxes on trucks are different, they are based on weight for a reason. "Texas Cadillac", lol, have not heard that term in a longtime. Don't believe every definition you read on websites like wikpedia, many of them are submitted by individuals.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Wow! At least you aren't afraid to answer the questions like some folks are! One up for you!
Let's make this easy, what issue to counter argue goes under each number.
1. There's a fine for not cutting grass, Wow!
2. I never stated they listen to country music it was only stated in the text of the website.
3. Ontheradio.net says otherwise, it states there are 12 country music stations in the Dallas area. There's another broad, not generalized statement that can be made. http://www.ontheradio.net/metro/Dallas_TX.aspx
4. You can't trust everything in Wikipedia, but you have heard the term, it must be a somewhat accurate article.
5. I don't think there was any mention of obesity in Texas in your argument, and Texas, Florida, N.Y.C.(New York) are way behind.
6.I'm not trying to make you look bad in any shape or form, just stating facts.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:22 PM

101 posts, read 290,247 times
As far as the obesity issue goes, the South wins. 8 of the top 10 states are Southern. Not surprising, Southerners will deep dry anything that comes their way.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,314,733 times
"3. Ontheradio.net says otherwise, it states there are 12 country music stations in the Dallas area. There's another broad, not generalized statement that can be made. http://www.ontheradio.net/metro/Dallas_TX.aspx"

That "in the Dallas area" is pretty broad here. Of all of the country stations listed on that there are only a handful that are available IN the Dallas metroplex. Most of the others are all small town local radio stations. Anything coming from Bells, Texas I can not pick up, LOL!!!! Realistically out of that list only 3 qualify (KSCS, KTYS and KPLX).

Sorry, but the "facts" you state are not true. Having visited once or twice for a quick trip does not really give one the true representation of an area. While I may have visited MANY places around the country and the world I would be very hesitant to leap off into deep water to make such statements calling them "facts", no matter if I found them on some website. Still can't trust everything you read on a website as they are only as good as the person who put it there.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,121,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
As far as the obesity issue goes, the South wins. 8 of the top 10 states are Southern. Not surprising, Southerners will deep dry anything that comes their way.
Yep, we even deep fry a yankee ever now and again.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 AM

You need to state your arguments under the according numbers, it was made clear in dark red in my last reply. You did so for number three, but only mentioning the radio station aspect and not the other issues mentioned is a clear and evident weakness. The Dallas TX Metro area defines the radio stations have a broad coverage of which probably encompasses the Dallas Metro Area, having a high population of listening audience. I retrieved evidence on many of the issues, regardless of whether I've visitied or not, there is a good amount of evidence to back my arguments. If you do not number your arguments with numbers, I will not respond, and if you don't answer my previous numbers, then there is little reason to respond.

Last edited by dusesean1986; 02-10-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or