U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,304,707 times

Advertisements

Found this article on another thread in "Politics" section & thought if might be enjoyed on this site.

The study on people who may characterize your state is interesting. Some may disagree. What do you think?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ality-map.html

Example: "New Yorkers are neurotic and unfriendly, says Cambridge University 'personality map'

New York is home to the most neurotic and unfriendly people in American while North Dakota is where the nicest people live, according to a Cambridge University "personality map" of the USA."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM

708 posts, read 2,409,704 times
New Yorkers are friendly. They're just outspokenly blunt.
Texas is ESTJ maybe? Iono.
Higher extroversion, so-so openness, higher agreeableness, higher conscientiousness, and lower neuroticism

Last edited by lndigo; 09-13-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 PM

32,319 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Here are the corresponding maps..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,721,937 times
I skimmed the article fairly quickly, so I may have missed something, but it didn't appear that there was a lot of detail about the criteria they used to determine the findings. I'd like to see more of that before I would put a lot of stock into these results. There do seem to be some findings that fit widely held perceptions (NYC and southern New England stressed out; much of the South showing extraversion), but some surprises as well (Ohio being stressed out; northern New England, upstate NY, upper Midwest, where people have a reputation for looking out for their neighbors, not scoring espcially high in conscientiousness about helping out in the community). Dunno. I'd like more detail.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
Scranton neurotic? Who? Us? Does this make us look badly? How can we do damage control on our image? Will our damage control make us look even worse if it is discovered?! OMG! I'm overheating!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:59 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times
To quote the article:

"EXTRAVERSION
Personality traits: Sociable, energetic and enthusiastic

High-scoring states: North Dakota, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Nebraska, Minnesota, Georgia, South Dakota, Utah, Illinois, Florida

Low-scoring states: Vermont, Washington, Alaska, New Hampshire, Maryland, Idaho, Virginia, Oregon, Montana, Massachusetts

AGREEABLENESS

Personality traits: Warm, compassionate, co-operative and friendly

Highest-scoring states: North Dakota, Minnesota, Mississippi, Utah, Wisconsin, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Oklahoma, Nebraska

Lowest-scoring states: New York, Nevada, Wyoming, District of Columbia, Alaska, Maine, Rhode Island, Virginia, Connecticut, Montana

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

Personality traits: Dutiful, responsible, self-disciplined

Highest-scoring states: New Mexico, North Carolina, Georgia, Utah, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida, Arizona, Missouri

Lowest-scoring states: Wyoming, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Maine, Alaska, Connecticut, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York

NEUROTICISM

Personality traits: Anxious, stressful and impulsive

Highest-scoring states: West Virginia, Rhode Island, New York, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Louisiana, Ohio, Arkansas

Lowest-scoring states: Alaska, Oregon, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Washington, Arizona, Nebraska, North Dakota, Nevada

OPENNESS

Personality traits: Curious, intellectual, creative

Highest-scoring states: District of Columbia, New York, Oregon, Massachusetts, Washington, California, Vermont, Colorado, Nevada, Maryland

Lowest-scoring states: Wisconsin, Alabama, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Nebraska, Iowa, Delaware."

My home state of Kentucky is ranked about appropriately for neuroticism. We ARE a neurotic, b*tchy bunch (except me...well, the vast majority of days, anyway. ) It tends to negate our (now extinct) "It's That Friendly" license plate slogan. I can tell a huge difference by just traveling 40 miles in to Tennessee.

As a side note, I'm surprised Arkansas isn't ranked higher in the neurotic category. I'm also surprised that Tennessee isn't in the top 10; I guess west TN offsets the rest of that state. And...I'm very surprised that Florida isn't in the TOP FIVE...much less the top ten.

As for the openness, I'm surprised Ky. isn't ranked closer to Alabama. Away from the higher-income, higher-educated enclaves in Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, and N. Ky., well...yeah.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,224,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My state is a confused malcontent trying to find some misplaced priorities.
Tru dat.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,775,737 times
I think I just accidentally deleted my post. Yep, I did. But it was quoted above.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:05 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,478,001 times
I can't say I completely agree with the list of states and traits assciated with such. I think there is a little of this and a little of that in all places. However regionally places do have some distinctions between them. As far as the extroversion states. I would not list Massachusetts low in that one. It has some very sociable types and some not so, that is everywhere. It definitely is energetic and enthusiastic as well as conscientious and self disciplined. Try dealing with the high cost of living there on a low paying job. Many of us from there always worked two jobs plus school to get ahead there. Its a commuter world there especially in the eastern regions and with that comes stress, but I always found it more homey and neighborly than many places. As far as Oregon, it definitely ranks low in extroversion and that is an understatement, but thats its problem. Creative and neurotic, yes to some extent. One thing that really sticks out here though, is the large amount of underachievers. People that have one or multiple college degrees that work at very minimum wage type jobs here. To each his own, but all that money for school and to be 30 years old working in Starbucks type jobs seems unfair to oneself. The explanation here for working these jobs seems to be thats how wonderful Portland is. Not so much Oregon, but Portland. Many people will work these jobs as a way to live here, in an area known for high unemployement always. Try to raise a family let along oneself on that type thinking. Probably why there is so much homelessness and drug problems here. By the way I think New York can be a friendly place but an overwhelming place for many. The many states in the south and midwest do seem friendly, but not always if your someone that is not of the general values of the region.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,719,530 times
Haha, you know what's funny? This perfect example of how angry New Yorkers are...

YouTube - ROAD RAGE NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.