Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM

395 posts, read 523,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah, I totally DIDN'T go into a coffee shop in one of those cities last week, and the girl at the counter totally DIDN'T allow us to bring our bikes into the shop and she totally DIDN'T offer (without us asking) to put our camelbacks in the fridge while we took a break. People in Philly, Boston and NYC are totally incapable of doing nice things for others without provocation. (i can't do this enough)
Im not saying they are never friendly. Its just overall- its not as rushed in DC.

For sake of argument, I will say DC is a "Northeast" city. Not because its true, but because people get so upset on here- and just to make them happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
I'm not taking issue with your position that DC is a southern or southern-like city. I think that's a legitimate opinion. It's your ideas of what "being northern" means and what "being southern" means that are pure fiction, IMO.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not taking issue with your position that DC is a southern or southern-like city. I think that's a legitimate opinion. It's your ideas of what "being northern" means and what "being southern" means that are pure fiction, IMO.
I can accept that. I will be the first to say- that there are many Northerners who are very friendly. But lets face it- most of them are from small towns or more rural areas or smaller cities. Places like NYC, Boston, Philly- a lot of people just dont have time for small talk or friendlieness. They are on the move. I guess that was also the point of this thread. The URBAN Northeast. So thats my experience. That DC doesnt quite have the rush that is in most Northeast cities. So they have more time to be friendly.

Then again- some of the friendliest people I have ever met have been from NYC. It just depends. But the culture of the Northeast cities, dont generally encourage friendlieness. Its hard to be friendly when you live with 8 million people, lol.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,286 times
Alright, this should end all of this nonsense. The NEast is very busy, the South is big and mostly still rural, the midwest is kind of like the South (lot of rural people). People from major Midwestern and Southern cities aren't overwhelmed by the urban Northeast...at least the young people aren't. People from the country/rural environments and midsize cities outside of the North can't handle it. They are intimidated. I am able to feel at home in the midwest, south, and the northeast because people are just people, learn how to treat all with respect and you'll get it in return, that's universal. I disagree that the Northeast is full of people who enjoy pi$$ing others off and being rude just for fun and I disagree that the South/Midwest is nothing but dumb, slow, idiots who need help breathing. To my people in the North who brag about having an open mind, open it up more and realize that if MD/NoVa are no longer backwards places than the South has a chance. To my hardcore Southerners who preach genteel hospitality, be more mannerly and stop taking cheap shots and making the rest of us look like cowardly h**s. Get outside of your region sometime. I think there was a reason I didn't have to call out the Midwest (huge mix of both).

Last edited by David Alleyne; 09-18-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I would like to hear from the people who are from the American South or Midwest who have moved or visit the Urban Northeast Cities (the Washington Dc to Boston route). Have you noticed like me that many of the people who live in this northeast zone are just plain harsh?

Yes, I know there are many nice people who live in that area of the country but I still notice a certain coldness and harshness in many of its people. I notice a lack of manners and more of a dog eat dog culture. You are more invisible there. Its a "you talking to me?" mentality?

Agree or disagree?
There are jerks everywhere. I find little fault in the only region of the country to vote entirely against Bush in the '04 election. Some are harsh sure, but generally these people are real, substantive, and not prone to a great deal of frivolity and phoniness. Directness I prefer. My wife is from the Northeast, and I couldn't be more fortunate to have such a person on my side.

What I find "harsh" about the South is the feigned niceness while racism persists in abundance in the region. What is "harsh" is the incredibly ignorant history of the South. On one hand, scream about the "new South", yet come election time, the entire region favors the party (Conservatives) that is the haven for racists. I'll take the Northeast over this nonsense any day.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Y'all this has to stop. Why cant we Southrons and Northern folk just get along? The Waw is over! Lets make ammends. Didn't Lee already surrender at Appomatox over 140 years ago?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
NOVA hick? Okay, really. I wont comment on that..

Um, there is a Mid-Atlantic because there is a middle of the East Coast- and that ain't the Northeast. The Mid-Atlantic can describe those transitional areas that lie between the Northeast and the South. The Northeast to me is New England , and NY- that is a big area! Then the Mid-Atlantic would be PA, NJ, DE, and MD, -maybe VA- the northern part anyway.

But DC is the Southern end of the Mid-Atlantic and transition zone between North and South

If there's no Mid-Atlantic then what the people talking about on The Weather Channel? LOL!

False logic.

NYC is below the northern part of New Jersey, yet its "north east" and Jersey Mid Atlantic?

Listen this is it.

The northeast consists of New England and Mid-Atlantic.

New England states include Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conneticut and Massachusets.

Mid-Atlantic includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC and Maryland.

Therefore the North east includes Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conneticut, Massachusets, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC and Maryland.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I would like to hear from the people who are from the American South or Midwest who have moved or visit the Urban Northeast Cities (the Washington Dc to Boston route). Have you noticed like me that many of the people who live in this northeast zone are just plain harsh?

Yes, I know there are many nice people who live in that area of the country but I still notice a certain coldness and harshness in many of its people. I notice a lack of manners and more of a dog eat dog culture. You are more invisible there. Its a "you talking to me?" mentality?

Agree or disagree?
This mentality exists in may places outside of the Northeast, especially in the South/Southeast. I work in retail and it seems everyone is either in hurry, are rude, impatient or using cell phones. Quality of life has definitely decline because of these factors.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
False logic.

NYC is below the northern part of New Jersey, yet its "north east" and Jersey Mid Atlantic?

Listen this is it.

The northeast consists of New England and Mid-Atlantic.

New England states include Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conneticut and Massachusets.

Mid-Atlantic includes New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC and Maryland.

Therefore the North east includes Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conneticut, Massachusets, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC and Maryland.

The Northeast is really New England. But You know what? Regions can overlap each other. That means that Mid-Atlantic can overlap in Southeast cant it?

The old Mid-Atlantic was really NY, PA, AND NJ

MD and DE were considered 'South Atlantic". Now of course to me Deleware is too Northern, and Maryland is a border state. But I still dont think DC is in the geographical Northeast, and its culture is not Northeast either.

If you're in the Middle of something, how can you be in the Northeast? You're neither North, nor South. Get it?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I'm sorry but are people saying DC is friendly? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.