Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times

Advertisements

Southern drawl-pleasant, genteel speakers.
Southern twang-generally blue-collar women, not as high brow-ugh, hate it, unfortunately most Southern women of my generation speak this way.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
You have the right to your opinions, but YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I personally LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE a southern accent from the voice of a female. Women with the accent (along with the down-south and down-to-earth appearances) are in my eyes one of the most charming, kind, and beautiful beings. And I'm speaking as a dude from the Northeast.
My my my, I do so ADORE a man with good taste!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,664 times
I don't have a problem with subtle southern, but when I can't understand a word of what they are saying to me, then it drives me crazy because we can't communicate. What bothers me MORE than the accent is when people SPELL with their accent. Call me crazy but I have seen these sentences more than once on a local board I belong to...

I'm going to SALE my house.
Would you like to come to my Yard SELL?

I also saw two signs on the side of the road..."Movin' SELL" and one that said "LemonAID for SELL, 25 cent a cup"

Oh also the incorrect use of "too" and "to" and just some of the slang, like "ya'll" and "aint", etc. or "I'm gonna WIN you!" (like when kids are racing each other)

I don't have an accent. If you heard me speak you would have absolutely no idea where I am from.

I have to say it does bother me that my kids might pick it up from going to school here. Maybe I just don't understand the southern accent or why it exists especially when schools teach phonics. Letters have specific sounds, I have been teaching my kids that since they started talking.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I am not offended by someone with a Southern accent unless they give me reason to be.
Oooh, how generous of you!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:38 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
Maybe I just don't understand the southern accent or why it exists especially when schools teach phonics.

Different Accents,Regional Differences makes America interesting.

Why it exists?I hope you mean proper use of English and not..
Southern Accents
Besides some people in Jersey,NY,etc dont speak 100 proper english...

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
I don't have a problem with subtle southern, but when I can't understand a word of what they are saying to me, then it drives me crazy because we can't communicate. What bothers me MORE than the accent is when people SPELL with their accent. Call me crazy but I have seen these sentences more than once on a local board I belong to...

I'm going to SALE my house.
Would you like to come to my Yard SELL?

I also saw two signs on the side of the road..."Movin' SELL" and one that said "LemonAID for SELL, 25 cent a cup"

Oh also the incorrect use of "too" and "to" and just some of the slang, like "ya'll" and "aint", etc. or "I'm gonna WIN you!" (like when kids are racing each other)

I don't have an accent. If you heard me speak you would have absolutely no idea where I am from.

I have to say it does bother me that my kids might pick it up from going to school here. Maybe I just don't understand the southern accent or why it exists especially when schools teach phonics. Letters have specific sounds, I have been teaching my kids that since they started talking.
If you are originally from NC, then yes I can tell where you are from.
Ya'll is actually a proper abbreviation of "You all", just as "Couldn't" is an abbreviation of Could not.

And, as for the thick accent, sometimes it is used PURPOSELY so that outsiders cannot understand us. I sometimes do this with my Northern customers so that they can not discern what I am saying to another co-worker.
Otherwise, I can turn my accent on and off pretty much as I please, unless angry...then it kind of takes over.
You really must learn to translate our slang and accents. You miss out on alot otherwise.
Our accent is unique to each Southern region. I dont understand why you'd want it to cease to exist.

To me,the idea of no accent, or worse, a universal accent all over the country, is scary.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Otherwise, I can turn my accent on and off pretty much as I please, unless angry...then it kind of takes over.
LOL I can sound just as professional as I need to with my accent - depends on whether I need to turn it up or down! HOWEVER, (there is always a however, isn't there?) the more alcohol I drink, the more the southern accent becomes apparent. LOL!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
LOL I can sound just as professional as I need to with my accent - depends on whether I need to turn it up or down! HOWEVER, (there is always a however, isn't there?) the more alcohol I drink, the more the southern accent becomes apparent. LOL!
Mind you, my accent probably slips in there and I just don't know it...but it seems to slip in there the thickest when I am happy or angry.

I work around a bunch of Yankee customers, so sometimes I guess my accent shrinks away to avoid confusing them...unless there is a situation as I described in my other posts.

Then I'll slip into "thick Southern" purposely so they can't figure out that Im talking about them. Its fun, really. Most of my co-workers can translate easily, and respond in similar form. Its kind of like having our own language...lol

Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I
And, as for the thick accent, sometimes it is used PURPOSELY so that outsiders cannot understand us. I sometimes do this with my Northern customers so that they can not discern what I am saying to another co-worker.

that doesn't make any sense to me why you would do that...you don't speak another language, or do you???

And, no, I am not from NC.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Ya'll is actually a proper abbreviation of "You all", just as "Couldn't" is an abbreviation of Could not.
Well according to dictionary.com it is Y'ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.