U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2008, 06:27 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,784,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sadly, I think the "southern accent" is connected to people many Americans consider to be unintelligent and racist. People like President Bush give the "southern" accent a bad name & when a person speaks with a southern accent others view him/her as dumb. This, of-course, is not true. Personally I love listening to a Southern woman but find that a man with a "Texas" accent very unappealing.
I think most people can tell the difference in a southern accent coming from a well-rounded, intelligent individual as opposed to one coming from an uneducated racist.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,572,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Notice I said "accents" - because theres not just one but Lord knows how many..

I mean, really. They arent THAT bad. Compare them to NY, NJ, or a nasal Chicago twang (aka Shrilary Clinton) then they sound almost musical!

Whats wrong with haveing a very soft Southern drawl? It can actually soften the harshest of English words

I heard a story once- Im not sure where from. This man HATED Southerners and Southern accents. He was having chest pains and called 911, when a woman with a very calming Southern voice answered the phone. She talked him through things and he got the hospital. He later said the sweet sound of her Southern voice kept him calm and collected- he TOTALLY changed his mind about the Southern accents.
I wasn't aware that anybody hated southern accents...I kinda like them myself. In fact, I up and married a southerner...gal from Florida....

Bud

Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 AM

194 posts, read 330,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sadly, I think the "southern accent" is connected to people many Americans consider to be unintelligent and racist. People like President Bush give the "southern" accent a bad name & when a person speaks with a southern accent others view him/her as dumb. This, of-course, is not true. Personally I love listening to a Southern woman but find that a man with a "Texas" accent very unappealing.
I LOVE men with a Texan accent!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 AM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,518,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know, I lived in TN.

Im sorry, but I just dont find the southern accent attractive on women, no matter if theyre from backwoods Alabama or "my-crap-dont-stink" Savannah, I just dont like it. My opinion.

Give me an English accent on a woman anyday!
You just showed your ignorance. An expert on Southern accents once said that in the mountains of North Carolina he had run into pure Shakespearean English. The same thing is true on the Outer Banks. The areas were so isolated that they kept their English accent. The Southern accent you are talking about not liking is probably Scotch Irish mixed with English.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 AM

3,643 posts, read 4,719,582 times
I really like a Southern accent. My favorite is the accent from the Carolinas. Southern accents are very sincere sounding and cool in my opinion. My Mrs. is from NC and has an awesome Southern accent!!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 AM

23,063 posts, read 18,049,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Notice I said "accents" - because theres not just one but Lord knows how many..

I mean, really. They arent THAT bad. Compare them to NY, NJ, or a nasal Chicago twang (aka Shrilary Clinton) then they sound almost musical!

Whats wrong with haveing a very soft Southern drawl?
People don't like what they're not used to hearing. Tell me the last TV (meaning they are in your home at least once a week) show drama (not sitcoms where they make fun of people and exaggerate accents) you've watched where the regular characters had, for example, southern accents. Now compare that to a NY accent. The Law and Order shows alone have that base covered.

When I moved to Maryland from NY, I couldn't get over the accents of the people from the Baltimore area. Plus, they speak faster than NYers. But I got used to it after a year of hearing it regularly. When I moved from MD to Tennessee, I had trouble understanding what people were saying on some of the local TV commercials but after a year of hearing it, I got used to it.

Now, for example, how many people from the northeast have moved south vs how many people from the South have moved North? People who live up north are just not used to hearing Southerners -- not in their towns, not on TV.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,634,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People don't like what they're not used to hearing. Tell me the last TV (meaning they are in your home at least once a week) show drama (not sitcoms where they make fun of people and exaggerate accents) you've watched where the regular characters had, for example, southern accents. Now compare that to a NY accent. The Law and Order shows alone have that base covered.
Funny you should mention that - I was thinking the same recently. I'm drifting off-topic here but how many TV series can you name that were set in the South (only Miami, which is not really "Southern" anyway). Only the Dukes of Hazzard, and that was a cliche fest anyway. The only films set in the South present it as a foreign country, whether it's a hell populated by redneck mutants (Deliverance), some sort of rural Arcadia (Green Fried Tomatos), or some corrupt swamp populated by polite yet duplicitous lawyers in white suits (pretty much any legal thriller set in the South, especially in New Orleans), but you never see a medical drama or cop show or teenage sitcom set in the South, something with normal people doing their job and living a normal life. That only goes to re-inforce Southern stereotypes. I guess the fact that the entertainment industry is based in California and NYC has something to do with this.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM

24 posts, read 52,844 times
im not trying to be rude ,but what is the difference between the 2 i really dont have a clue????

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,993,371 times
People hate Southern accents because the speakers sound very uneducated. It's hard to take somebody seriously when they talk like Forrest Gump.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:47 PM

290 posts, read 750,425 times
My accent it the best, because its almost non-existent..it's possibly Southern-Lite..but you would have to really hear me talk alot to catch..If it wasnt for my ex-gf from New Jersey..I wouldnt have even known..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.