U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2008, 02:27 PM

396 posts, read 96,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Jeff Foxworthy said it best:
I used to say that whenever people heard my Southern accent, they always wanted to deduct 100 IQ points.

Although there is a double standard with the southern accent....it makes men sound less-than-intelligent, however, it makes women sound hot!
I have a Southern accent (Virginia) and no one thinks Im less intelligent. In fact, I love women with Southern accents, but sometimes they can sound not as bright , esp, if they over do them.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:30 PM

2,224 posts, read 4,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Well, a bit harsh I admit, but that's how some people view those with Southern accents.

I have been a heavy critic of the South all of my life, but I realize there are good people everywhere. I am not offended by someone with a Southern accent unless they give me reason to be.

Right now, the like "valley girl" way of like speaking here in like CA, is like so bad. I mean ohmygod! It's like the worst! like Kewl! --> This is worst than any southern accent I've ever heard.
This girl knows what's up about Californian accents:

YouTube - Californian Accent??

Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM

127 posts, read 308,665 times
I don't know why people hate the southern accents but I know I love the way they talk. stop hating on the south.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Because it is a reminder of a very barbaric and incredibly ignorant history, one that this country should be embarrassed about. People who have such accents are perceived to be among the most racist people in the word. It is perceived as being used by a person who is not too developed, almost offensive.

Sounds like somebody needs to realize that the Civil War is like so over and like so last century and like not all racist live in like the South.

If you don't like Southern accents just say so, don't re-fight the Civil War all over again. It's like sooooooo boring.

And Larry the Cable Guy is from Sanford Florida, which technically IS the south but you have to go north to get to the south from Sanford.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Sounds like somebody needs to realize that the Civil War is like so over and like so last century and like not all racist live in like the South.

If you don't like Southern accents just say so, don't re-fight the Civil War all over again. It's like sooooooo boring.

And Larry the Cable Guy is from Sanford Florida, which technically IS the south but you have to go north to get to the south from Sanford.
That is so true. My daddy jokes, that when you hit Florida you've gone so far South you're in the North again. Only extreme Northern Florida is Southern, lol.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:41 PM

5,113 posts, read 11,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I LOVE these Southern accents:

Patsy Cline's Northern Shenandoah Valley accent: (she talks in this one!)

YouTube - Patsy Cline - Imagine That

Ward Burton's Southside Virginia accent:

YouTube - Ward Burton supports Mark Warner for U.S. Senate

Tom Wolfe's CLASSIC Richmond accent:

YouTube - Tom Wolfe: 800 years of American centuries
Those annoy me. I dont know why, but I hate them all. Especially the first one. I will now show to you THE BEST ACCENT EVER!

Look at how the lady talks....and tell me it isn't sexy? Both of them have the accents though. But nothing beats a NYC accent.

YouTube - My Cousin Vinny (1992)

Old 09-19-2008, 03:48 PM

6,444 posts, read 8,992,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Those annoy me. I dont know why, but I hate them all. Especially the first one. I will now show to you THE BEST ACCENT EVER!

Look at how the lady talks....and tell me it isn't sexy? Both of them have the accents though. But nothing beats a NYC accent.

Yech.

Look, no one can help the way they talk. Not really. Regional accents are rapidly disappearing. People move around more. Media is national in nature. Standardization is creeping in. Personally, I dislike the sound of shrill Southern accents, but don't relish NY/NJ or Midwestern accents, either. (The New England accents don't bother me for some reason. Maybe because my GF is from New England. She digs my Southern accent. I dig her NE accent. It all works out in the end.)
However, in spite of my personal preference, I am fortunate enough to have friends from lots of regions, and I love that they all have a slightly different accent. Homogenization sucks.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

They annoy you? Patsy Cline was the best singer ever. But you're entitled to your opinion. No comment on what you posted... I m too nice , lol That accent is .... certainly not the best ever.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yech.

Look, no one can help the way they talk. Not really. Regional accents are rapidly disappearing. People move around more. Media is national in nature. Standardization is creeping in. Personally, I dislike the sound of shrill Southern accents, but don't relish NY/NJ or Midwestern accents, either. (The New England accents don't bother me for some reason. Maybe because my GF is from New England. She digs my Southern accent. I dig her NE accent. It all works out in the end.)
However, in spite of my personal preference, I am fortunate enough to have friends from lots of regions, and I love that they all have a slightly different accent. Homogenization sucks.
Theres NOTHING shrill about a Southern accent. Nothing. The Northern accents however hit the ears like jack hammers, lol

Old 09-19-2008, 04:16 PM

5,113 posts, read 11,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
They annoy you? Patsy Cline was the best singer ever. But you're entitled to your opinion. No comment on what you posted... I m too nice , lol That accent is .... certainly not the best ever.
I find it extremely sexy. Music too my ears.

I see so many people post the NY accent as their least favorite but I dont know why. My least favorite is Boston, and many people put that as favorite.

Different opinions I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.