Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM

155 posts, read 447,216 times

Advertisements

va is uquoie and dc and de but still south because talk southern ask you somtthing why ppl put me catorgory sound like a northeastern person i just dont get sometimes even i i from down town miami city just use nyc as example its uquioe place any thing etc in region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
i use as a example dc and maryland and etc by it as de its in the south has civil war agiast the north no body from abc any other top person say its northeast its south no matter what ppl say most put middle but its south just diffrent just like nyc way diffrent places by it even through its in region just use a example va is south
This is a total Roanoke accent.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 AM

395 posts, read 519,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
this is a total roanoke accent.
lol! :d

Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,340,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
i use as a example dc and maryland and etc by it as de its in the south has civil war agiast the north no body from abc any other top person say its northeast its south no matter what ppl say most put middle but its south just diffrent just like nyc way diffrent places by it even through its in region just use a example va is south
You are going by a definition that is over 200 years old. Times change. Anyone who thinks that D.C. and Maryland and Delaware are still Southern today needs a reality check. Baltimore, Wilmington, and Washington D.C. have a lot more in common culturally and politically and demographically with Philadelphia than Richmond. Southern accents are still somewhat present in these states but they have dramatically faded since the time of the Civil War. THe Mason-Dixon line today is inaccurate and should be moved to just below Washington D.C. and should then shoot due west and run along the Ohio River and continue approximately due west from there. that is the true and accurate boundary between North and South.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:19 AM

23,314 posts, read 43,776,504 times
The DC suburbs...no.
The rest of VA? oh, yeah.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 PM

395 posts, read 519,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The DC suburbs...no.
The rest of VA? oh, yeah.
You never how good it makes me feel for someone from Decatur, GA to say that!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 PM

6,021 posts, read 7,801,450 times
virgina is southern

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,821,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I'm from VA and it's always been considered the South, unless you consider it Mid-Atlantic. I moved to Atlanta and nobody down there considered VA the South. I think these days, it's becoming more and more Mid-Atlantic.
Virginia is definitely southern, and I say this as a Georgian (metro Atlantan).

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I've heard similar stories

There was a guy I knew from Hampden-Sydney College- a VERY Southern Mens college here in Virginia. He moved to Atlanta after his Sr. year and these 2 Georgia girls in Atlanta were calling him "Yankee" and he told me they were saying "lets show this yankee boy how we do it down South". Hes siad he couldn't help be a little offended by that, but he went along with it

Like his family was native Virginan, so I guess they really do consider us Yankes up here, lol
It sounds like he ran into a couple of ignorant, moronic females.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Well, not by mine. Took me just under 8 hours to get to Atlanta. Took me 7 to get to NYC. Okay, so NYC is tad closer. Atlanta is pretty far down in the Deep South. Maybe they were joking?

I got bit irked because something like that happened to me. I was out in Nashville singing and talking to other musicians there. And a girl from NC and I said, oh we're neighbors- Im from Virginia!

And she was like... Oh wow! I lived in DC for a long time.

DC IS NOT Virginia, lol. Like its one in the same to them.

Oh well. Atlanta wasnt the Capital of The Confederacy, just tell 'em that.
Actually, I'd say that Atlanta is near the northern edge of the deep south. Pretty far deep south would be places like Mobile, Albany, or Brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.