U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM

9,056 posts, read 16,494,696 times

Advertisements

My cousin moved to Delaware about ten years ago (Air Force) and now his southern accent is nearly completely gone. So no, I don't consider Delaware to be southern at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM

27 posts, read 47,713 times
cpterp, my old friend:

I can assure you that the list of the governors of those jurisdictions that are member states of the Southern Governors Association (SGA) is not a joke. The list consists of sixteen Southern states (Maryland included) among the forty-eight contiguous states, plus the U.S. territorial possessions of Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. The latter two entities, although not yet states, seem to be on a path toward eventual statehood. At any rate, the headquarters of the Southern Governors Association is in Washington, DC (close to the Congress), where the SGA can wield considerable influence for our Southern region on Capitol Hill. For more information, the URL address of the SGA is as follows:

SGA - Southern Governors' Association

Best regards,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

There will come a time in the not-too-distant future when we will see true Southern Independence once again! Our national capital city will be Richmond, VIRGINIA once more!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to happen! It will happen!! It MUST happen!!! The next time, the sovereign State of MARYLAND will be an integral and an important part of the new DIXIE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!

Greetings, salutations and felicitations to all,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland
(1 September 2009)

Old 09-01-2009, 05:28 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: John Wilkes Booth (of Harford County, MARYLAND) was a true hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Insofar as I (a native-born Marylander) have always hated and despised President Abraham Lincoln, I am compelled to give him his proper respect for something that he said before the Congress of the United States on 1 December 1862. He said: "Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history." True! True!! A thousand times true, indeed so!!"

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM

At this particular moment in time, I'm listening to Classical music on the radio...........and, despite the fact that I'm drinking Russian vodka at this moment, I will endeavor to persevere; and, in keeping with that fact, I apologize to all (well in advance) for any of my errors in grammar, spelllllling and/or syntax! LOL

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM

1,358 posts, read 2,268,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Robert McGarrett View Post
There will come a time in the not-too-distant future when we will see true Southern Independence once again! Our national capital city will be Richmond, VIRGINIA once more!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to happen! It will happen!! It MUST happen!!! The next time, the sovereign State of MARYLAND will be an integral and an important part of the new DIXIE REPUBLIC!!!!!!!!
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: John Wilkes Booth (of Harford County, MARYLAND) was a true hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Insofar as I (a native-born Marylander) have always hated and despised President Abraham Lincoln, I am compelled to give him his proper respect for something that he said before the Congress of the United States on 1 December 1862. He said: "Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history." True! True!! A thousand times true, indeed so!!"
Okaaaay...that will convince people that Maryland is Southern. Mr. McGarret I should probably tell you before you go too far off your rocker that the Con-fed-ur-a-say (which Maryland, "unfortunately" wasn't a part of) died a loong time ago. I'm also sad to say that Booth (who I didn't even know was from MD until recently) was an embarrasment to Maryland, just as Spiro Agnew was. For true Maryland heros see: Francis Scott Key (the greatest of them all), Babe Ruth, and Thurgood Marshall. These people have memorials and are widely celebrated unlike your friend. It's also such a pity that you hate so much who many consider the greatest president ever.

Also, let's say for arguments sake that Maryland is 100% Southern, it is in no way, shape, or form Dixie. You'd probably have to go even past Virginia and North Carolina to hear that term.

Oh and here's a site for you to join, from people who have the same beliefs as yourself: THe South As It's Own Nation

Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM

So what if I drink Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey and Russian vodka and if I smoke cigarettes (Marlboro, of course); and, so what if I'm a lascivious chaser of pretty women? It's my fate and my destiny! Life is good and life is constantly threatening to become much better than it is already!!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Mr. cpterp,

When Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA (the greatest military hero in all of American history) surrendered his Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant (Army of the Potomac, USA) at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia in 1865, it was *not* a defeat........it was a tactical move in an overall strategy that would eventually lead to full Southern independence and ultimate victory at a future time (most probably in this 21st century)! There can be no doubt about it!!

Very best regards as ever,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM

1,358 posts, read 2,268,905 times
Quote:
Mr. cpterp,

When Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA (the greatest military hero in all of American history) surrendered his Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant (Army of the Potomac, USA) at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia in 1865, it was *not* a defeat........it was a tactical move in an overall strategy that would eventually lead to full Southern independence and ultimate victory at a future time (most probably in this 21st century)! There can be no doubt about it!!

Very best regards as ever,
Michael R. McGarrett
Port Tobacco, Maryland
Riiigghht, yeah keep telling yourself that...*tha great suthern state a murland will soon be free from librul Yankee oppression*, just need to keep waiting another 150 years...

btw the mods are prob. this close-> {} to kicking you (me to if I keep responding).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.