U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 25,006 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how well received these types of posts are, but I'm kind of stuck and any help would be appreciated.

I am a 22 year old recent college grad (degree in graphic design) who is looking to move sometime next year. I was born in Rhode Island, grew up in Maine and went to college in Vermont, but I'm kind of looking to move out of New England and start somewhere fresh. As you can imagine though, this kind of transition is kind of overwhelming and I don't know how to find a city that's best suited for me.

A little about me: I'm single, and like any recent grad money is kind of tight for me. After four years in dorms I don't mind living in a small apartment. I'd love to live in a bigger city, but safety and friendliness are always big concerns. Areas I've looked at are Indianapolis and Dallas. Would either of these be a fit or does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, just a general question about a major move: should I look for a place to live and then get a job once I move in, or should finding a job be my first concern before finding a place to live?

Thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,259,523 times
Born, raised and until 2 years ago, a life long resident of Maine. Moved 28 months ago to WI and absolutely hate it. I think New England is so ingrained in our blood that the culture shock is just too much for us. As young as you are, you might adapt more easily.

That being said, have you looked at Minneapolis or Denver? Both are cities with a younger demographic so you should have no problem finding lots of friends in your age group. They are large enough to offer promising career opportunities, and the climate will be more familiar.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM

414 posts, read 892,772 times
Well, I am 21 and in a similar situation as you (except I am married). My husband and I are looking to move out of Ohio b/c we both went to college here as well as being born and raised in the state. I have never been to Dallas, but I have been to Indianapolis and I would say Dallas would be a better fit. I like Indianapolis, but you may have more success in your degree area and there is probably a lot more to do (socially) in Dallas. It would be a big change from New England, but if you don't mind, then it might be a good idea. If your looking at midwest...I'd vote Columbus over Indy any day...just my 2 cents though.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:00 PM

I actually have looked a little at Minneapolis and it looks like a great city, I'm just not too sure about the job prospects I'd find out there.

I'm going to take a peek at Columbus as well. I have a friend who lives there and I don't know why it never popped into my head to check it out.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:06 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,353,574 times
Minneapolis would be a great place for a graphic designer. Target, Best Buy, General Mills, and NWA are all headquartered in Minneapolis and several companies are headquartered in St. Paul. I suggest Denver too. It might match your criteria and it's very social and laid back.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Minneapolis is sounding really promising. It doesn't seem like it would be too much culture shock for me.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,765,016 times
An studio here in Mpls. would be roughly between $500 and $600. $600 to $800 for a one bedroom. The city was settled by New Englanders, a few Scandinavians, Germans and Irish followed. The biggest shock would probably be size instead of culture. There are always people here coming from places alot smaller, and they adapt pretty quickly. People here are friendly to people in public, if you are shy it is harder to make friends. We won't generally come to you. The economy here is relatively stable and always diversified. There are also a good number of advertising firms, especially in the Warehouse District. I don't know with what ease you will find a job here in this Reaganesque economy, but it won't be harder than anywhere else. I can always answer more questions on the Mpls. forum. Good luck on finding a new city.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,412,150 times
Obviously, the nicest cities to live in are the ones where it would be hardest to find a job. I'd suggest that you isolate a few very very specific things that are inportant to you, and then look for a relatively un-renowned city that promises to fulfill that interest. Kansas City is a well-kept secret, not in very many top-ten lists, but a wonderful place to live and work. Job-wise, though, it can be diffucult. Many people who got transferred there and then got downsized, loved it so much that they stayed, and are formidable competitors in the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.