U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

379 posts, read 532,990 times

Advertisements

When there are no differences; there is peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 02:27 PM

32,363 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
i'm saying perhaps if it happens let it happen, but not to focus on it and try to force it to become that way.
I cant argue with that.

Are there places actively trying to become more diverse?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 PM

32,363 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Well, when everyone is rich, everyone is happy.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 PM

419 posts, read 1,162,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I cant argue with that.

Are there places actively trying to become more diverse?
I have no idea... LOL. Only places I see actively doing it are employers and schools.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
IMHO diversity has not worked. rainbow coalition has not been very fruitful.
what has worked is people getting some skills a good job and moving out of lousy neighborhoods where people don't think crime is a big deal.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM

165 posts, read 420,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Does that mean that no place is peaceful?

Old 09-20-2008, 04:47 PM

48,106 posts, read 45,484,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
It's a natural human trait to want to live around your own kind. No need to feel guilty for that.
Perhaps it is a natural human trait, but should that trait extend so far as to exclude others who aren't "their kind"? Perhaps instead of focusing of "diversity", Love Thy Neighbor(regardless of race or ethnicity) should be encouraged. If everyone did so, things could go smoother.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
It's a natural human trait to want to live around your own kind. No need to feel guilty for that.
A lot of things are natural human traits. Wanting to bed everything with a figure is one of them.

Good thing we humans(lots of us at least!) are evolved enough to learn to control our "natural traits" to indulge in the benefits of being free from them.

And people, let's not focus simply on ethnic diversity. Many more types of diversity exist, each one with the same potential to cause friction. Diversity of culture and of political/social opinion are a few right off the bat.

Now with that considered, imagine what life would be like if we forced ourselves to live around people who thought like us, dressed like us, spoke like us, listened to what we listen to, watched what we watched, admired who we admired, and thought exactly what we though. Despite what a lot of people would have you believe, diversity for the vast majority of people is pretty interesting.

And by the way, wanting to live in an area with other people like you doesn't mean you don't want to live with other people. It just means no one wants to be the odd man out. A mindframe that is in no way contradictory to a diversity-oriented society.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,985,869 times
I think biasness exists in every race and class of people, be it color, culture, or economic classification. It's never been as simple as just "a white man's thing". And while it may be more "peaceful" in an all-white community (as an example), you can bet there's still tension between the rich and upper-middle class, to the lower-class. (And as soon as they'd hear of a Mormon church going into their community, you can bet they will all scream to High Hell. I am not a Mormon, but I've seen it done.)

Culture adds to a great deal of challenges to tolerance, too. I grew up in an area that had a lot of European immigrants, and while most of them assimilated to some degree, they were still critical enough of American culture to think that their ways were still better. There are still all kinds of pockets and communities here 'n' there in the states. It all boils down to groups of people do simply don't want to understand "the others", and do not make the effort, and I think it's been this way since early man first spotted an outsider settling his flock acres away from him.

Do I think it's natural? I sure do. But it doesn't have to be.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:54 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,988,384 times
We're talking about diversity not forced intergration........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
IMHO diversity has not worked. rainbow coalition has not been very fruitful.
what has worked is people getting some skills a good job and moving out of lousy neighborhoods where people don't think crime is a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or